About to buy a Civic - Need help! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th October 2012, 21:36 Thread Starter

Cool About to buy a Civic - Need help!

Hello everyone. My dad has just sold is car and is about to buy a Honda Civic. We're looking at a 2008/58 plate civic, but we can't decide between the 1.4 petrol and 1.8 petrol. I know the spec differs between models, i.e trim level etc. but I'm just looking for general advice on the car themselves.

We spoke to someone at a Honda dealer and he suggested a 1.8 due to the 1.4 being 'underpowered' or something, and that people say taking over cars can sometimes be a challenge.

We test drove a 1.4 earlier with a Peugeot dealer thinking it was a 1.8 (genuinely) and we thought it was a 1.8 until we checked the insurance websites. Anyway, we are impressed with the 1.4 and the dealer said the following (obviously looking for a sale..)

- More MPG on the 1.4 due to smaller engine
- Less road tax (half)

I'm 18 and will be a second driver, so works out around 300 cheaper on insurance overall for the 1.4. I won't drive it like crazy, and my dad drives slow anyway so speed isn't really a problem. Mostly used in town.

- Are there any significant problems with the 1.4?
- Would a 1.8 be better overall in terms of the engine?
- Are 1.4 more rare and harder to sell?
- Whats the main difference and why would the Honda driver tell us to buy a 1.8 rather than a 1.4?
- Should it be avoided?

Sorry for all these questions, we are about to buy within the next week. I will be sticking around once we have a car and hopefully learn alot more about it!

All help is appreciated. I may post this somewhere else on the forum where someone may be able to specifically help rather than all in the introduction haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th October 2012, 21:43
Supporter

Both engines are bullet proof mate aslong as you have fsh and its been looked after its all down to what you want at the end of the day. Won't go far wrong with either.
P.s 1.8 vtec will be miles ahead of the 1.4 if you liked the 1.4 power try the 1.8
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th October 2012, 21:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Power isnt really an issue, the 1.4 moved pretty fast and won't be drove above 40 more than a few times per week just because of the lack of motorway use.

Plus I'm only 18 and my dad says having a 1.4 will be better as its less power to abuse.. either way I'm not fussed. Just wondering if theres anything to avoid with the 1.4

Last edited by PJS123; 24th October 2012 at 21:52.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th October 2012, 21:57
Supporter

Then 1.4 will do you proud buddy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th October 2012, 22:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkid View Post
Then 1.4 will do you proud buddy.
Thanks, it looks like a 1.4 at the moment.

For anyone else reading my introduction, I've set up a poll too on a new thread. All your opinions will be more than appreciated and very helpful in choosing which car!

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/buying-...1-4-1-8-a.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 25th October 2012, 07:08
Frood Dood

Car: Nismo Qashqai
Hey Fella

Sounds like you have already decided on the 1.4 and to be fair on the criteria you have mentioned it sounds like the perfect choice for both you and your Dad

Yes the 1.8 will give you more power ... but then you could say that is underpowered compared with the type R which has a bit less than the Mugen special editions

You could pick Diesel ... more MPG and bags of torque (And faster to 60 than the 1.8!) but you pay more for them

To be honest, whatever Civc you go for (Apart from the hybrid - that is wrong!!!) you have made the right choice.

The important thing is that you have joined a Civifo - where you want to go with your new ride is entirely up to you!

Nice tidy car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it

K
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th October 2012, 13:07
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum.

Go for the 1.4, more than enough for now.

Civinfo > Welcome > Introduce yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page