AUX in Power to bluetooth receiver - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 15:18 Thread Starter

Power to bluetooth receiver

Iím about to embark on my first civic project- fitting aux input to my satnav fitted stock head unit.

The idea is to have my phone connected to the Honda HFT system for telephone and also a Bluetooth audio receiver in the glovebox connected to an aux input.

Iíve bought the connects 2 kit, and ordered a Bluetooth receiver so I just need to run power to the little Bluetooth receiver. Would prefer to have a constant live to keep it charged up at all times ready for my phone to connect, it has a micro usb charging port.

What would be the best way of hardwiring a usb cable or power socket into the glovebox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 15:47
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypa1 View Post
I’m about to embark on my first civic project- fitting aux input to my satnav fitted stock head unit.

The idea is to have my phone connected to the Honda HFT system for telephone and also a Bluetooth audio receiver in the glovebox connected to an aux input.

I’ve bought the connects 2 kit, and ordered a Bluetooth receiver so I just need to run power to the little Bluetooth receiver. Would prefer to have a constant live to keep it charged up at all times ready for my phone to connect, it has a micro usb charging port.

What would be the best way of hardwiring a usb cable or power socket into the glovebox?

Cut the end off a USB lead and run it to a constant live feed VIA A 12V to 5V CONVERTER - the one in the option connector of the fusebox is easily accessible.

Last edited by Syx; 22nd August 2013 at 17:04.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 16:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

won't there be more than one wire in a usb cable?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 16:41
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypa1 View Post
won't there be more than one wire in a usb cable?
Yes, and you will need to identify which are positive and ground for you to make the connection. The others can be ignored if only used for charging.

This Wikipedia article will help you identify which pins are for which use
USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's very easy with a multimeter to just check which wires are for which pins.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 16:53
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
Cut the end off a USB lead and run it to a constant live feed - the one in the option connector of the fusebox is easily accessible.
No... USB powered devices run at 5v (1A), if you cut the USB cable and the connect to fuse box, you will put 12v into your device

I assume the OPs bluetooth adapter power cable has a mini USB connector one end (which goes into the bluetooth unit) and either a standard USB male plug at the other which goes into a 12v to 5v adaptor (or is hard wired to one)

andypa1 can you confirm or post some pics.

Normally, the power wires in a USB cable are black (-) and Red (+)... the other two are data wires (normally green and white)

I would suggest getting something like this, mount in or behind glovebox, and wire that to the option connector. Then plug in your USB charger/cable.

Last edited by Bog; 22nd August 2013 at 16:56.
Thanks to Bog from:
Syx
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 17:04
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
No... USB powered devices run at 5v (1A), if you cut the USB cable and the connect to fuse box, you will put 12v into your device

I assume the OPs bluetooth adapter power cable has a mini USB connector one end (which goes into the bluetooth unit) and either a standard USB male plug at the other which goes into a 12v to 5v adaptor (or is hard wired to one)

Normally, the power wires in a USB cable are black (-) and Red (+)... the other two are data wires (normally green and white)

I would suggest getting something like this, mount in or behind glovebox, and wire that to the option connector. Then plug in your USB charger/cable.
THANK YOU. I completely forgot about this when explaining the above.

What I have done in the past is rewire the circuitry from an in-car cig lighter charger so that it is wired rather than plugging into a cig socket... just confused myself there and made a bit of a schoolboy error!
I'll edit my above so I don't mislead anyone.
Thanks to Syx from:
Bog
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2013, 17:04
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
THANK YOU. I completely forgot about this when explaining the above.

What I have done in the past is rewire the circuitry from an in-car cig lighter so that it is wired rather than plugging into a cig socket... just confused myself there and made a bit of a schoolboy error!
I'll edit my above so I don't mislead anyone.
Easy done
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 24th August 2013, 19:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post

You're spot on, it's not mini usb, but the cable is standard male USB to powerplug on the other end... 5v input.

Sorry you didn't put a link in your post, what do I need to buy?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 24th September 2013, 17:33

To add power to a AUX bluetooth unit would could you wire this to the 12v lighter socket, then plug the unit into it ? or have i got it completely wrong.

P4PM Car Charger DC Converter Module 12V To 5V 3A 15W with USB Mounting Hole | eBay

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page