Speakers Speaker suggestions - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 08:29 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Civic Type R GT
Speaker suggestions

I upgraded my front door speakers to some PIONEER TS-G1722i.
Then I upgraded my headhunt to a Pioneer X2500BT.
I have bought some more adapter rings (18mm MDF) to do the rear speakers and would like some suggestions.
My budget is 50! I preferably want some speakers that are better than the PIONEER TS-G1722i and are more capable of handling mid/bass tones.
Is there more clearance room in the rear than in the front?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 10:19
Supporter

Car: CTR FN2, Milano Red
Fitted some alpine spr-60's in the rear the other week, went in easy. You've got about as much room as in the front doors. Only modification needed was to the back of the black mesh that you remove for access. It has a plastic ring that needs cutting - easy with a stanley blade.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 11:53 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezzi View Post
Fitted some alpine spr-60's in the rear the other week, went in easy. You've got about as much room as in the front doors. Only modification needed was to the back of the black mesh that you remove for access. It has a plastic ring that needs cutting - easy with a stanley blade.
Those speakers look really good but are out if my price range.
Any other recommendations?
Yer I am familiar with that plastic lip around the door speaker grill that needs cutting out. It's very thin plastic and easy to remove.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 12:09
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
I would use your Pioneers to replace your rear speakers and save up for some decent component speakers for the fronts (with a crossover). Infinity Reference are very good but are around 75.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 01:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
I would use your Pioneers to replace your rear speakers and save up for some decent component speakers for the fronts (with a crossover). Infinity Reference are very good but are around 75.
I don't really fancy doing an iriversable mod to the tweeter pods. Would it be much of a step down getting some infinity coaxials in the fronts and moving the pioneers to the back?
Or is it a must to get component speakers?
Thanks
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 01:18
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 type s nighthawk bl
Ive got infinity's all round with an alpine sub and i love it,it sounds great imo.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 01:26 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbz31 View Post
Ive got infinity's all round with an alpine sub and i love it,it sounds great imo.
Which infinity speakers do you have?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 11:28
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbog99 View Post
I don't really fancy doing an iriversable mod to the tweeter pods. Would it be much of a step down getting some infinity coaxials in the fronts and moving the pioneers to the back?
Or is it a must to get component speakers?
Thanks

Components are fitted as standard, latest Infinity's are 6530CS I think. They come with adaptors so they fit where the OEM ones go. Components in the front and coaxials in the rear is what I have fitted, having the tweeters at ear level sounds much better than coaxials firing into your legs which is why Honda put them there.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 13:10 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Components are fitted as standard, latest Infinity's are 6530CS I think. They come with adaptors so they fit where the OEM ones go. Components in the front and coaxials in the rear is what I have fitted, having the tweeters at ear level sounds much better than coaxials firing into your legs which is why Honda put them there.
Im aware of the standard tweeters and I agree that it is best to have the vocals at your ear level.
Am I right in saying that you have to modify the mounts for the tweeters and do some glueing and ghetto fitting?

Will I be able to benefit from the speakers with the amplification coming from the aftermarket headunit or will I only get the benefits from a dedicated amp?

I am tempted to get the Infinitys if they are really worth it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 15:18
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
I had to trim my tweeter housings. Generally you do have to but when you screw the new ring on it covers any "nastiness" that has occurred behind !

Changing the HU alone gives a MASSIVE boost in sound quality even to OEM speakers.

Last edited by Civic_Outcast; 1st October 2013 at 15:21.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 15:27
Supporter

The Infinity's come with various plastic baskets that will use the OEM tweeter mount, think someone has a photo on here. No glue required. As long as your headunit has a greater output then the OEM, then you should notice an improvement over your Pioneers.

There are other makes of components, have a look on here:

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 18:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
The Infinity's come with various plastic baskets that will use the OEM tweeter mount, think someone has a photo on here. No glue required. As long as your headunit has a greater output then the OEM, then you should notice an improvement over your Pioneers.

There are other makes of components, have a look on here:

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security
I would like a confirmation that the mounts on the 6530CS can be fitted into the tweeter pillar mounts without me modifying the mounts. I have searched but can't find anything.
Yes my headunit outputs 50watts.
The crossover for the Infinity speakers, do I just wire the + and - wires and leave the old tweeter wire in my door panel?

Thanks
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 20:20
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Quote:
I would like a confirmation that the mounts on the 6530CS can be fitted into the tweeter pillar mounts without me modifying the mounts. I have searched but can't find anything.
Yes my headunit outputs 50watts.
The crossover for the Infinity speakers, do I just wire the + and - wires and leave the old tweeter wire in my door panel?

Thanks
A small amount of the existing tweeter housing needs to be sanded down for the Infinity tweeter holder to fit.

if you take out the existing tweeter you'll see what I mean, it basically aligns with some tabs in the hole, and these need to be sanded down about 2mm and then the Infinity holder screws in perfectly.
Thanks to x5252x from:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 21:25
Supporter

You need to put your own tweeter wires in as the OEM woofer & tweeter dont use a crossover.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 23:53 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
You need to put your own tweeter wires in as the OEM woofer & tweeter dont use a crossover.
So the feed to the crossover is been supplied by the OEM woofer wiring and the OEM tweeter wiring is redundant and not used because new wiring is fitted from the crossover to the new tweeter.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 23:54 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
A small amount of the existing tweeter housing needs to be sanded down for the Infinity tweeter holder to fit.

if you take out the existing tweeter you'll see what I mean, it basically aligns with some tabs in the hole, and these need to be sanded down about 2mm and then the Infinity holder screws in perfectly.
That doesn't seem too bad, did you sand it by hand? Do you think when it comes to selling the car and I want my infinitys taking out that the OEM tweeters could be for back even tho the tweeter mounts have been sanded a little?

Thanks
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 00:07
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
That doesn't seem too bad, did you sand it by hand? Do you think when it comes to selling the car and I want my infinitys taking out that the OEM tweeters could be for back even tho the tweeter mounts have been sanded a little?

Thanks
Yea, I just used a very fine file, it's literally just a few mm from each tab, I think there are 3.

All they do is make sure the position is correct for the stock tweeter, so you can replace the old tweeters when selling as the tabs don't actually hold the tweeter in, and you only remove a small amount of them anyway.

This is a very crude drawing, as I say I can't even remember if there are 2 or 3 tabs, but you should get the idea, especially when you come to do it.

You want to sand the tabs down enough so that you can use the Infinity holder with the screw thread on to screw into the original hole, then use the lock ring on the back.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when I installed my speakers or I would post some.

As mentioned in the above posts, the original speaker wires connect into the crossover, I used female spade connectors to connect to the original Honda connector, so didn't need to cut any wires.

The original tweeter cable is not used.

You will need to buy some wire to go from the crossover to the woofer, and then a longer bit to go up to the tweeter.

Honestly, when you come to do the install it will all make sense and go smoothly.

I found that I also had to trim the lip on the back of the door panel. I suspect I could just use thinner speaker rings though, I used the Astra ones that have been recommended on here.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 09:04
Supporter

Quote:
So the feed to the crossover is been supplied by the OEM woofer wiring and the OEM tweeter wiring is redundant and not used because new wiring is fitted from the crossover to the new tweeter.
There is no crossover as the OEM speakers are wired in series (all frequencies going to both speakers).
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 09:09
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
There is no crossover as the OEM speakers are wired in series (all frequencies going to both speakers).
Think you misread his post, he is saying that the wires from the stock Honda woofer go to the new crossover, which is correct.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 13:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thank you all so much for the replies, I've read them all and I'm going to take the plunge and buy the infinity speakers now.

Nice to know I can still fit the factory tweeters back when it comes to removing the infinity speakers.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page