Speakers Speaker suggestions - Civinfo
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 08:29 Thread Starter
Supporter
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Speaker suggestions

I upgraded my front door speakers to some PIONEER TS-G1722i.
Then I upgraded my headhunt to a Pioneer X2500BT.
I have bought some more adapter rings (18mm MDF) to do the rear speakers and would like some suggestions.
My budget is 50! I preferably want some speakers that are better than the PIONEER TS-G1722i and are more capable of handling mid/bass tones.
Is there more clearance room in the rear than in the front?
Thanks
dogbog99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 10:19
Supporter
 
Gezzi's Avatar
 
Car: CTR FN2, Milano Red
Join Date: 24th May 2013
Location: Merthyr Tydfil WALES
Posts: 347
Thanks: 78
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Fitted some alpine spr-60's in the rear the other week, went in easy. You've got about as much room as in the front doors. Only modification needed was to the back of the black mesh that you remove for access. It has a plastic ring that needs cutting - easy with a stanley blade.
Gezzi is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 11:53 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezzi View Post
Fitted some alpine spr-60's in the rear the other week, went in easy. You've got about as much room as in the front doors. Only modification needed was to the back of the black mesh that you remove for access. It has a plastic ring that needs cutting - easy with a stanley blade.
Those speakers look really good but are out if my price range.
Any other recommendations?
Yer I am familiar with that plastic lip around the door speaker grill that needs cutting out. It's very thin plastic and easy to remove.
dogbog99 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th September 2013, 12:09
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
I would use your Pioneers to replace your rear speakers and save up for some decent component speakers for the fronts (with a crossover). Infinity Reference are very good but are around 75.
discus is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 01:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
I would use your Pioneers to replace your rear speakers and save up for some decent component speakers for the fronts (with a crossover). Infinity Reference are very good but are around 75.
I don't really fancy doing an iriversable mod to the tweeter pods. Would it be much of a step down getting some infinity coaxials in the fronts and moving the pioneers to the back?
Or is it a must to get component speakers?
Thanks
dogbog99 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 01:18
Supporter
 
webbz31's Avatar
 
Car: 2006 1.8 type s nighthawk bl
Join Date: 20th October 2011
Location: wolverhampton ENGLAND
Posts: 359
Thanks: 100
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Ive got infinity's all round with an alpine sub and i love it,it sounds great imo.
webbz31 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 01:26 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbz31 View Post
Ive got infinity's all round with an alpine sub and i love it,it sounds great imo.
Which infinity speakers do you have?
dogbog99 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 11:28
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbog99 View Post
I don't really fancy doing an iriversable mod to the tweeter pods. Would it be much of a step down getting some infinity coaxials in the fronts and moving the pioneers to the back?
Or is it a must to get component speakers?
Thanks

Components are fitted as standard, latest Infinity's are 6530CS I think. They come with adaptors so they fit where the OEM ones go. Components in the front and coaxials in the rear is what I have fitted, having the tweeters at ear level sounds much better than coaxials firing into your legs which is why Honda put them there.
discus is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 13:10 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
Components are fitted as standard, latest Infinity's are 6530CS I think. They come with adaptors so they fit where the OEM ones go. Components in the front and coaxials in the rear is what I have fitted, having the tweeters at ear level sounds much better than coaxials firing into your legs which is why Honda put them there.
Im aware of the standard tweeters and I agree that it is best to have the vocals at your ear level.
Am I right in saying that you have to modify the mounts for the tweeters and do some glueing and ghetto fitting?

Will I be able to benefit from the speakers with the amplification coming from the aftermarket headunit or will I only get the benefits from a dedicated amp?

I am tempted to get the Infinitys if they are really worth it.
dogbog99 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 15:18
Dervinator
 
Civic_Outcast's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
Join Date: 24th August 2011
Location: Peterborough, Uk.. Distro.. Ubuntu ENGLAND
Posts: 1,349
Thanks: 195
Thanked 237 Times in 201 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I had to trim my tweeter housings. Generally you do have to but when you screw the new ring on it covers any "nastiness" that has occurred behind !



Changing the HU alone gives a MASSIVE boost in sound quality even to OEM speakers.

Last edited by Civic_Outcast; 1st October 2013 at 15:21.
Civic_Outcast is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 15:27
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
The Infinity's come with various plastic baskets that will use the OEM tweeter mount, think someone has a photo on here. No glue required. As long as your headunit has a greater output then the OEM, then you should notice an improvement over your Pioneers.

There are other makes of components, have a look on here:

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security
discus is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 18:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
The Infinity's come with various plastic baskets that will use the OEM tweeter mount, think someone has a photo on here. No glue required. As long as your headunit has a greater output then the OEM, then you should notice an improvement over your Pioneers.

There are other makes of components, have a look on here:

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security
I would like a confirmation that the mounts on the 6530CS can be fitted into the tweeter pillar mounts without me modifying the mounts. I have searched but can't find anything.
Yes my headunit outputs 50watts.
The crossover for the Infinity speakers, do I just wire the + and - wires and leave the old tweeter wire in my door panel?

Thanks
dogbog99 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 20:20
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
 
x5252x's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTS GT
Join Date: 8th May 2013
Location: Cambridge, UK GB
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 356
Thanked 410 Times in 330 Posts
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbog99 View Post
I would like a confirmation that the mounts on the 6530CS can be fitted into the tweeter pillar mounts without me modifying the mounts. I have searched but can't find anything.
Yes my headunit outputs 50watts.
The crossover for the Infinity speakers, do I just wire the + and - wires and leave the old tweeter wire in my door panel?

Thanks
A small amount of the existing tweeter housing needs to be sanded down for the Infinity tweeter holder to fit.

if you take out the existing tweeter you'll see what I mean, it basically aligns with some tabs in the hole, and these need to be sanded down about 2mm and then the Infinity holder screws in perfectly.
x5252x is offline  
Thanks to x5252x from:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 21:25
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
You need to put your own tweeter wires in as the OEM woofer & tweeter dont use a crossover.
discus is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 23:53 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
You need to put your own tweeter wires in as the OEM woofer & tweeter dont use a crossover.
So the feed to the crossover is been supplied by the OEM woofer wiring and the OEM tweeter wiring is redundant and not used because new wiring is fitted from the crossover to the new tweeter.
dogbog99 is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st October 2013, 23:54 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
A small amount of the existing tweeter housing needs to be sanded down for the Infinity tweeter holder to fit.

if you take out the existing tweeter you'll see what I mean, it basically aligns with some tabs in the hole, and these need to be sanded down about 2mm and then the Infinity holder screws in perfectly.
That doesn't seem too bad, did you sand it by hand? Do you think when it comes to selling the car and I want my infinitys taking out that the OEM tweeters could be for back even tho the tweeter mounts have been sanded a little?

Thanks
dogbog99 is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 00:07
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
 
x5252x's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTS GT
Join Date: 8th May 2013
Location: Cambridge, UK GB
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 356
Thanked 410 Times in 330 Posts
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbog99 View Post
That doesn't seem too bad, did you sand it by hand? Do you think when it comes to selling the car and I want my infinitys taking out that the OEM tweeters could be for back even tho the tweeter mounts have been sanded a little?

Thanks
Yea, I just used a very fine file, it's literally just a few mm from each tab, I think there are 3.

All they do is make sure the position is correct for the stock tweeter, so you can replace the old tweeters when selling as the tabs don't actually hold the tweeter in, and you only remove a small amount of them anyway.



This is a very crude drawing, as I say I can't even remember if there are 2 or 3 tabs, but you should get the idea, especially when you come to do it.

You want to sand the tabs down enough so that you can use the Infinity holder with the screw thread on to screw into the original hole, then use the lock ring on the back.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when I installed my speakers or I would post some.

As mentioned in the above posts, the original speaker wires connect into the crossover, I used female spade connectors to connect to the original Honda connector, so didn't need to cut any wires.

The original tweeter cable is not used.

You will need to buy some wire to go from the crossover to the woofer, and then a longer bit to go up to the tweeter.

Honestly, when you come to do the install it will all make sense and go smoothly.

I found that I also had to trim the lip on the back of the door panel. I suspect I could just use thinner speaker rings though, I used the Astra ones that have been recommended on here.
x5252x is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 09:04
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbog99 View Post
So the feed to the crossover is been supplied by the OEM woofer wiring and the OEM tweeter wiring is redundant and not used because new wiring is fitted from the crossover to the new tweeter.
There is no crossover as the OEM speakers are wired in series (all frequencies going to both speakers).
discus is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 09:09
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
 
x5252x's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTS GT
Join Date: 8th May 2013
Location: Cambridge, UK GB
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 356
Thanked 410 Times in 330 Posts
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
There is no crossover as the OEM speakers are wired in series (all frequencies going to both speakers).
Think you misread his post, he is saying that the wires from the stock Honda woofer go to the new crossover, which is correct.
x5252x is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2013, 13:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
dogbog99's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type R GT
Join Date: 2nd November 2012
Location: UK GB
Posts: 218
Thanks: 15
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Thank you all so much for the replies, I've read them all and I'm going to take the plunge and buy the infinity speakers now.

Nice to know I can still fit the factory tweeters back when it comes to removing the infinity speakers.
dogbog99 is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to this - a little help or suggestions? -mike- Styling (8G) 12 12th October 2013 00:01
Suggestions please Brodick Any non Civic chat here please! 4 8th December 2011 20:41
Hi all and i need some suggestions please! CHEN Introduce yourself 3 16th July 2010 08:19
Suspension Any suggestions? PaulBaz Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 4 1st December 2009 19:32
Second car suggestions Dawson Any non Civic chat here please! 36 26th April 2007 23:11

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome