Technical USB adaptor - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th October 2013, 11:29 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, black
USB adaptor

Hi, sorry if i'm one of many who have asked this but i have noticed several trade threads where usb adaptors are fore sale and i havent found clear answer to my question by searching in forum.

Now my question is: Can i connect this usb adaptor to my 2007 civic(sport) head unit?

Head unit is without satnav.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th October 2013, 18:39
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Nope, sorry.

You would need something like an XCar Link.
Thanks to x5252x from:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 20:35
Supporter

Car: 2.2icdti SE alabaster silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
Nope, sorry.

You would need something like an XCar Link.
hey thats quite cool - thanks for the link matey.

Expensive for what it is, but when you consider the price of a new double din unit and the new fascia etc it seems like a reasonable option if, like me, all your are after is the ability to have a USB stick full of music attached to the stereo .... umm... now whats the best direction to go in with this now?!?!?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 21:02
Supporter

I do of course realise how behind the times I am with this - only had my civic for 6 months (and the head unit drives me mad!)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 21:03
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT808 View Post
hey thats quite cool - thanks for the link matey.

Expensive for what it is, but when you consider the price of a new double din unit and the new fascia etc it seems like a reasonable option if, like me, all your are after is the ability to have a USB stick full of music attached to the stereo .... umm... now whats the best direction to go in with this now?!?!?
You can get a similar unit for cheaper here.

Not sure how good or bad it is, but believe it works the same as the XCar Link - acting as a virtual CD changer.

I don't think either will tell you what song is playing, just show you a CD and track number, as it is acting as a virtual CD changer.

If you want to listen to random tracks then it is perfect, if you don't then it's not for you unless you have an MP3 player you can plug in and use that to select songs.

To be honest, even the stock USB implementation in 2009+ cars is pretty poor, takes me forever to find a song as you have to wait 5 or 10 seconds for the track title to come up, and the order is file order rather than alphabetical. Also the random seems to suck, despite having 50 - 100 songs in a folder, I only ever get to listen to 5 of them...

Cannot wait for my new double din to arrive!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 21:22
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
You can get a similar unit for cheaper here.

Not sure how good or bad it is, but believe it works the same as the XCar Link - acting as a virtual CD changer.

I don't think either will tell you what song is playing, just show you a CD and track number, as it is acting as a virtual CD changer.

If you want to listen to random tracks then it is perfect, if you don't then it's not for you unless you have an MP3 player you can plug in and use that to select songs.

To be honest, even the stock USB implementation in 2009+ cars is pretty poor, takes me forever to find a song as you have to wait 5 or 10 seconds for the track title to come up, and the order is file order rather than alphabetical. Also the random seems to suck, despite having 50 - 100 songs in a folder, I only ever get to listen to 5 of them...

Cannot wait for my new double din to arrive!

- reading through the info on the Xcarlink site it doesn't sound like the most user friendly system

are you buying a high street named Double Din or one of the new app ones coming in from HK and similar? Still tempted by the idea of one. I put one into my last car but fitting it was a great deal easier than it looks like it will be in the civic!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 21:48
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
- reading through the info on the Xcarlink site it doesn't sound like the most user friendly system

are you buying a high street named Double Din or one of the new app ones coming in from HK and similar? Still tempted by the idea of one. I put one into my last car but fitting it was a great deal easier than it looks like it will be in the civic!
I've ordered myself a brand new unit from Hong Kong that I haven't seen advertised anywhere yet, should be popping up for sale in the next few weeks I think.

It's a pure Android system, running version 4.1 with a dual-core 1GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB storage (should be plenty for apps, can add microSD card or USB stick for songs etc). Probably not ideal if you want something that just "works", but if you are used to Android, and like a bit of tinkering to get everything set up how you like it then it's perfect.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 22:55
Supporter

that sounds superb! do you know if you can get it to work with the steering wheel controls and the display unit on the car?

I was thinking of a high street named DDin as the cable sets to link to the civic are sold with only the high street named head units in mind (that I have found so far), but the HK android ones seem like much better value for money...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th October 2013, 23:15
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
that sounds superb! do you know if you can get it to work with the steering wheel controls and the display unit on the car?

I was thinking of a high street named DDin as the cable sets to link to the civic are sold with only the high street named head units in mind (that I have found so far), but the HK android ones seem like much better value for money...
It should do, the Connects2 kit comes with everything to get the original screen working with the steering controls. You need to ask for the universal patch lead, and then you get bare wires rather than a connector for the steering wheel controls, this should connect to the relevant input wires on the back of the headunit.

I'll know for sure when mine arrives though, should be end of this week or start of next.

They don't always work out as cheap as you think, yes there are some units available for ~150, but in my mind they are not very good for a few reasons, such as running Windows CE as well as Android (means that the apps like radio and navigation are not very well linked, and often cause problems, just look on YouTube), and a slow processor with limited RAM. There is one other pure Android unit that I know of, the previous generation of the one I purchased, with Android 2.3, single core 1GHz CPU, 512mb RAM. It is not bad, but the new 4.1 version has some significant hardware and software improvements that I feel are worth the extra 100 or so.

The unit I bought costs around 375 plus import tax, which I agree is cheaper than most branded double dins. With the branded ones you are paying more because of their software, whereas the Android units do not come with a fancy interface designed specifically for your car, it's exactly the same as what you get on your phone or tablet, so it is up to you to find a launcher and other apps to get it the way you like.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page