My install Let the upgrades begin - Page 2 - Civinfo
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th June 2014, 12:05
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCider View Post
I haven't, but it may become a thing later down the line. Just offering it up to the fascia to set the correct offset. I think I will wait for more daylight hours before having a crack at it

Sent from my Xperia Z
Hi, where did you get the unit from and how much?
Also is this the original fascia? Is HondaBitz the cheapest place to get it?

I am trying to convince myself that it is worth spending 600 for such a unit when in fact all I need is the XCarLink for Bluetooth and USB charging.

Do you think I will get some of the investment back when I sell the car? It's a 5 door Civic 58 reg, so if I were to sell it in 3-4 years time would the 2DIN unit increase the price by any margin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th June 2014, 12:50
R-398

Car: 2009 FN2 CW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYPER View Post

I am trying to convince myself that it is worth spending 600 for such a unit when in fact all I need is the XCarLink for Bluetooth and USB charging.

Do you think I will get some of the investment back when I sell the car? It's a 5 door Civic 58 reg, so if I were to sell it in 3-4 years time would the 2DIN unit increase the price by any margin?
I was told when I traded in my Type S with the very same unit as OP that it would add no value. Was told that surprisingly a lot of people actually prefer stock set up when buying their car and can then change if needed/wanted. I wasn't about to argue as I wanted the HU for my next car anyway.

It really is a good unit you have installed there mate, my only reason for change was for iPhone connectivity without a faff of extra boxes. The lack of HDMI in the unit is probably the only hinderance in my eyes. Please post up the sound difference with your new speakers before amping them! Really interested in changing my speakers but I dont want to install an amp.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th June 2014, 16:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2008 CTR, NHB
Garage
Quote:

The head unit was from eBay, got it delivered for 380. I've got the connects2 facia from hondabitz

As posted above id take the new unit with you when you sell on, you could sell out separately to gain more.

Sent from my Xperia Z

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th June 2014, 18:38 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage

In progress as I type.

Found a neat shelf at the back to hide some cables and the rds aerial unit for the head. Powered it up to check the wheel functionality and the unit before I finish and all is well! Some serious cable tidying to be done!

Sent from my Xperia Z
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th June 2014, 18:59
Supporter

Would you say the connects2 facia is a good copy of the original? Is the texture a lot different on the front?

Can you post some high-res photos of both to compare the looks?

Btw does that HU support USB charging by any chance?

Thank you.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th June 2014, 19:02 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Would you say the connects2 facia is a good copy of the original? Is the texture a lot different on the front?

Thank you.
I think it is worth the money on quality, yes it could be a better match but the oem unit wasn't exact so I'm not fussed.

I'll get some more up soon as well as an obligatory reminder when fitting it

Sent from my Xperia Z
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st July 2014, 19:29 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:

Thank you.
I will get around to comparing them on photo soon, I've had a busy week! I've not been able to charge off the usb unfortunately but whilst in the process of having the interior stripped you could easily connect a powered usb socket to the cig lighter.

One thing definitely worth doing is acquiring a hifi setup microphone and letting it work it's magic with the auto eq. It takes so much hassle out of manually working the eq and it still gives you the option of running flat/vocal/natural/powerful/super bass on top of the eq response it sets for your particular environment.

Since I have aftermarket speakers up front and still on standards at the rear, I have decided to set them as subwoofers for rear bass fill. I used to have them faded out entirely as they didn't balance well being easier drive (louder mid-midbass). It is really surprising how much additional thump they give to the mix That is how I'll leave it until I bother with any amping/sub or otherwise I think!
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2014, 01:09
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCider View Post
I will get around to comparing them on photo soon, I've had a busy week! I've not been able to charge off the usb unfortunately but whilst in the process of having the interior stripped you could easily connect a powered usb socket to the cig lighter.

One thing definitely worth doing is acquiring a hifi setup microphone and letting it work it's magic with the auto eq. It takes so much hassle out of manually working the eq and it still gives you the option of running flat/vocal/natural/powerful/super bass on top of the eq response it sets for your particular environment.

Since I have aftermarket speakers up front and still on standards at the rear, I have decided to set them as subwoofers for rear bass fill. I used to have them faded out entirely as they didn't balance well being easier drive (louder mid-midbass). It is really surprising how much additional thump they give to the mix That is how I'll leave it until I bother with any amping/sub or otherwise I think!
I decided to get the newest Xcarlink module with the built in bluetooth and charging option instead. Double DIN was an option, but at the end couldn't justify spending 500 just for charging and streaming online radio.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 12:17 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Oh joy, it seems I need to get behind the dash another time! I seem to have forgotten to plug the hazard switch back in

On that note it might make me fit the microphone for hands-free. I didn't consider using it at first but seeing as though I've got to take it apart again I might as well make do it for more than just plugging one cable in!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th September 2014, 13:16 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Just a little update on the ventures in my car, and one that some of you may want to have a go at yourselves!

I finally got around to applying some sound deadening material in the rear of the car, starting with the under floor compartment in the boot. I didn't want to add loads of mass to the car as there is plenty in already. Honda already put some bitumen like pads down in key places so I decided to place my material directly on theirs to make use of their worked theory! I must have only used 2 sheets of Silentcoat in this area in total.

I didn't want to go through removing all the trim in the rear to get to the sides of the boot so stopped there. Instead I got in behind the rear speakers to apply some well needed material there.

I didn't take any pictures unfortunately though I still used the material sparingly, 5 sheets in total (around 1 kg added).

One unexpected outcome of this brief application is the huge reduction in tyre roar coming from the back and a solid sounding ride over rough, potholed roads. I thought I'd gone deaf at first but it really was that drastic! I also noticed how much quieter my Milltek non-res was from inside the car at cold idle, win-win!
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 14th March 2018, 12:45
Supporter

Car: 2010 Civic Si 2.2
Garage
EXCELLENT JOB
New front speakers it is for me now

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Tags
door cards , pioneer , sound deadening , speakers , type r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page