Speakers New owner question so please dont hate if i didnt find in search (front speakers) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th October 2013, 10:17 Thread Starter

New owner question so please dont hate if i didnt find in search (front speakers)

Hi guys just picked up a Type R GT last weeks and moving form a 12 speaker 2 sub jag with sound deadening that weights as much as my new civic, I need to serious upgrade as Honda don't know who to buy systems off. I have already purchased a ton f sound deadening and some new cabling along with some speakers. The questions I have I found the guide on here using the rear speakers to cut up and use to mount the new ones. Can this be done on the front speakers too just cutting off the old speaker to use its mounting system is a good idea, as the chances are I will never put the stock back in. I don't mind buying the astra rings or I found some Honda ones listed for American cars guessing Honda uses the same speakers in all cars, and mdf is an options.

But the option of just using the old speaker is less hassle for me. I have had a search but I kept coming up with the rear guide and the argument of mdf vs astra rings. Easiest thing to do would take the door off and look but I have a few days before all the parts arrive, and I want to do the job once do it right then never have to take the doors off again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th October 2013, 11:17
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
You can use the old speakers as rings if you want - it will of course destroy them as you have to cut the speaker out.

I used Astra rings in mine.

Front and rear speakers are identical, so you can use the same rings, or the original speakers as rings.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th October 2013, 13:24
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
You can always try and sell the OEM speakers on ebay. Here's a guide for fitting front speakers by the way:

Mod - install Infinity front speakers - Civinfo Wiki

I used these MDF spacers:

6.5" 165mm MDF Speaker Spacer Mounting Rings 18mm Thick ID 144mm ED 176mm Pair | eBay

Last edited by discus; 14th October 2013 at 13:27.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th October 2013, 18:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

thanks guys for getting back to me I went for the infinity speakers that have been mentioned on here. I am going to use 2mm silent coat on inner and outer skins along with some egg shell like foam to absorb the waves. Then will coat all the arrears the door car or anything hits with thin foam to avoid any rattles.

Planning on doing this to the front and rear speakers and then adding line convertors and amp cabling ready for when I put the sub in soon. cant wait because a cracking sound system would almost finish this car off for me who would have thought that going from a 4.2 V8 would be this fun. I have seen all the hate for the FN2 compared to the EP3 but who cars I know if I had an EP3 I would want a modern feeling interior over hundredths of a second faster around a track.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 15th October 2013, 12:42
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2,5 door,NighthawkBlk
Get some pics up when you're installing mate, looking at doing similar myself
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 16th October 2013, 00:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

first parts arrived today the front infinity ref speakers, and to start with woooo there are a few little touches they feel expensive so a start. They include little emblems for the speaker grills and foam to add to the mounting to stop vibration. In other words they feel heavy well made and packaged very well. The other part of the kit to arrive today was my big pack of silent coat, very good stuff have used before.

I just waiting on my rear speakers and my other deadening. Went to a shop today to talk about amps and subs as I just want a good nice high quality system I don't want boyracer window shaking. The shop listened to what I wanted and recommended 400 quids worth or things so think I might give them a miss and stick to the internet.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th October 2013, 00:16
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 EX
Jamjam where did you buy your speakers from?
I take it you bought a pair of Infinity Reference 6510CS for the front?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th October 2013, 01:13
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
Jamjam where did you buy your speakers from?
I take it you bought a pair of Infinity Reference 6510CS for the front?
6530cs is the new version.

6530cs - 69.95

6532i - 39.95
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th October 2013, 22:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi guys I got the infinity 6530Cs as couldn't find the 6510 anywhere. Very happy with packing and things with them only difference I think is the tweeters are black not silver. Got my other pack of sound deadening arrive today, just waiting on my rear speakers and what amp and sub I want to get. Have installed the tweeters into the pops looks really good wanted to use the stock grille but could get it to look right. Here is few pics of what they look like so far. There is a little infinity logo I have added too, it was so handy to be able to spin the mount into place then attach the tweeter with one nut. I have attached a few bits of foam to the housing to stop any rattles and make it flush with panels. Hopefully I can take the car apart Saturday morning to start things.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th October 2013, 22:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Sorry not sure how to do the pics if you click the missing images it should take you to flickr
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th October 2013, 11:28
Supporter

Is there any sound difference with the standard head unit? read a lot that until you amp them the sound may get even worse than standard?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th October 2013, 12:40
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by l7kus View Post
Is there any sound difference with the standard head unit? read a lot that until you amp them the sound may get even worse than standard?
It's clearer and better defined in mids and highs, but still lacks low-end punch.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th October 2013, 16:43
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
The sound is better when you replace the speakers. What is worse is that they will probably be quieter that the OEM speakers for the same volume level. Dont know what impedance the OEM speakers are but doesn't take much to drive them - which is just as well with that head unit.

As mentioned above, bass is better but will hardly blow you away.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th October 2013, 19:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

well semi done the job now sound deadened the doors added the new speakers front and back and there is a massive difference I can now get the head unit to volume 35 without too much clipping. Very happy I have a JBL GTO 3ez 3 channel amp coming Monday so that will be paired with a small punchy sub and powering the front speakers. Wasn't the most enjoyable job today due to the rain the fact Hondas are hell of a lot smaller than I am used to so now I look like I have emotional problems due to the cuts all up my hands and arms.

Was about to finish up as the it started to get dark and I couldn't get the door card back on which was annoying. So I have to wait for the morning to cut some of the speaker border off as I think that is where I am catching.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th October 2013, 20:45
Supporter

Did you get any pictures mate
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th October 2013, 09:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I only got a few will upload later and maybe take a few more today. I wanted to take loads but caught up in that massive storm yesterday. I ended up using the asatra rings front and back because my speakers worked out at 17cm if they were 16 cm they would have just fitted in then would have glued them. But I didn't want the bass to work the glue loose.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page