My install Had a price to install double din and reverse camera. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 13:36 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS, Tangerine
Had a price to install double din and reverse camera.

As the title says, just had a price from a mate of a mate who's a auto electrician do install my Pioneer DAB radio and Mr Bozo's reverse camera. He says I'm looking at 60 which to me seems a really good price.

Is 60 too good a price to pass up on or should a try and fit it myself ?? All I keep thinking is if I do it myself it'll probably take me ages and it's getting dark and cold this time of year lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 14:00
Supporter

Car: 2014 Aygo
seems good to me judging by the "how to's" on here.
Problem is you may not get any guarantee from a "mate of a mate" and if he screws things up you have no come back.
I would absolutely pay 60 rather than tackle myself
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 14:28
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
For 60 you could get some components for the front doors or get some sound deadening, well worth it.
Keep the money in your pocket and sort it yourself fella, honest when you look at the photos on the how to's it can look a bit daunting but trust me if you can change a plug on an appliance you can do this, im not saying its dead easy but its pretty straight forward.

Like I said have a go and if you need a hand give us a shout im only in stoke fella

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 15:29
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
Dan, do it yourself mate.

None of the trim pieces you remove are needed to drive the car. I should know, I've been driving without a door card for a week and have spent several days in the past with the centre console missing, the driver's leg trims removed and I've never bothered to refit the trim piece by the driver's door.
As such, tackle it bit by bit if you're worried about the time... take the trim out one day, fit the radio the next, fit the trim back the following day.

Save your 60
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 16:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

The HU doesn't really phase me, apart from routing the DAB aerial up behind the a pillar because that's where the air bag is :/ and where exactly to mount it on the screen.

The job I don't fancy tackling is the rear view camera. My OCD won't let me mount it to one side so I need to mount it where the boot release catch is, and I've read to do this all the boot trim has to come off and all the rear lights/centre panel have to come off too... Then there's the wiring lol
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 16:22
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door,nhb
60 is a good price.I think that there are going to be 2 camps here.
Camp 1:- for 60 I am not even going to get my hands dirty.

Camp 2:- 60 I would rather have a go myself and spend the 60 on something else.

I am in camp #1, but it all depends the price.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 16:31
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokiedan View Post
The HU doesn't really phase me, apart from routing the DAB aerial up behind the a pillar because that's where the air bag is :/ and where exactly to mount it on the screen.

The job I don't fancy tackling is the rear view camera. My OCD won't let me mount it to one side so I need to mount it where the boot release catch is, and I've read to do this all the boot trim has to come off and all the rear lights/centre panel have to come off too... Then there's the wiring lol
I wanted to do this, but it is not possible to mount where to boot catch is, although in theory it seems to fit, in practice there are a few problems.

The camera has to angle down greatly to get the view you want, this firstly causes an issue of partially covering your numberplate lettering which is illegal, secondly it means that you have to use the catch from the side, as you cannot get your fingers under the camera pointing down.

I don't think I've updated my install guide for the rear camera yet, but the update will include such information and what steps I took.

60 is not bad, but it's worth at least having a go. The headunit is very simple to replace, the only difficulty with the camera is getting behind some of the rear panels as they aren't as easy to pop out.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 16:40 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

What camera did you install pal ?

I've seen this on the forum and messaged the fella and he has no problems opening the boot etc.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 16:42 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I've seen this on the forum and messaged the fella and he has no problems opening the boot etc and doesn't look like it obscures the plate

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 18:52
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:

I've seen this on the forum and messaged the fella and he has no problems opening the boot etc and doesn't look like it obscures the plate

Mine looks similar, to be honest they are all mostly the same in size etc.

The one thing that is different is the angle. I can install mine there without issue if I want to see behind me, and probably the floor ~75cm away from the back of the car. But I prefer to see the floor much closer to my car, so have to angle it down a lot more, even though it does have a wide angle lens.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 19:05
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
Dan, do it yourself mate.

None of the trim pieces you remove are needed to drive the car. I should know, I've been driving without a door card for a week and have spent several days in the past with the centre console missing, the driver's leg trims removed and I've never bothered to refit the trim piece by the driver's door.
As such, tackle it bit by bit if you're worried about the time... take the trim out one day, fit the radio the next, fit the trim back the following day.

Save your 60
Lol, I think some of the people with OCD would have a fit at the thought of driving with bits missing, but I take your point.
I guess it all depends on how confident you are and if you can afford the 60, personally I would pay it for some peace of mind.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 19:12
Supporter

The new cars have it offset, personally I find mine points down too much and it takes me scarily close to the object, as it is a wide view lens it is hard to judge

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 21:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

After reading these posts I'm thinking I might have a stab at it this weekend. I've arranged for the auto electrician to do it on tues so I'll do as much as I can, I'll get the factory HU out and try to run all the cables for the camera so all he's got to do in minimal stuff like tapping into the reverse bulb wire or whatever I don't manage lol
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 21:54
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
After reading these posts I'm thinking I might have a stab at it this weekend. I've arranged for the auto electrician to do it on tues so I'll do as much as I can, I'll get the factory HU out and try to run all the cables for the camera so all he's got to do in minimal stuff like tapping into the reverse bulb wire or whatever I don't manage lol
I'm hoping to have updated my guides before then, but if not, take a look at my pictures here, shows pretty much everything you should need to know, such as the wires to tap into, where to run the cable etc.
Thanks to x5252x from:
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 21:56
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicnewbie View Post
The new cars have it offset, personally I find mine points down too much and it takes me scarily close to the object, as it is a wide view lens it is hard to judge

How close? I have mine offset too, but on the right rather than the left as in the picture.

Mine is set so the camera can see the ground about 20cm from the bumper, up to a couple metres I think.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 22:27 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
I'm hoping to have updated my guides before then, but if not, take a look at my pictures here, shows pretty much everything you should need to know, such as the wires to tap into, where to run the cable etc.
Just had a look at your pics mate and that's a whole lot of confusing wiring going on there lol maybe I could make sense of them in your wrote up when you get round to it :thumbup:
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 22:29
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
I didnt run the signal pick up for the reverse camera to the back of the car and tap into the reverse bulb

Much easier to use the aux socket on the fuse board as one of the pins gives a 12v out when you put it into reverse.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 22:49
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy2602 View Post
I didnt run the signal pick up for the reverse camera to the back of the car and tap into the reverse bulb

Much easier to use the aux socket on the fuse board as one of the pins gives a 12v out when you put it into reverse.
The cable that came with my camera had the reverse wire and video wire as part of the same cable if that makes sense, otherwise I would have run a separate length to the option connector as you suggested.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 22:50
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Just had a look at your pics mate and that's a whole lot of confusing wiring going on there lol maybe I could make sense of them in your wrote up when you get round to it :thumbup:
Yea, it definitely is as the pictures relate to various things, and are not in order.

I'll let you know when guides are updated.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th November 2013, 23:07
Coffee isnt my cup of tea

Car: 08' ABS CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadtom View Post
60 is a good price.I think that there are going to be 2 camps here.
Camp 1:- for 60 I am not even going to get my hands dirty.

Camp 2:- 60 I would rather have a go myself and spend the 60 on something else.

I am in camp #1, but it all depends the price.
Im thinking of getting the reversing camera for Christmas and I'm camp 1 as I'd rather get it done by someone who knows as it seem too technical for me

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page