Head Unit Upgrades for stereo and speakers - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 5th November 2013, 23:16 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2006 Civic ES, Blue
Upgrades for stereo and speakers

Hi there!

This is my first ever post on here so I am just looking for good, friendly advice on what to do!

Firstly, I have bought (today) a 06 Civic 2.2 CTDI ES which I wish to upgrade. I am looking to upragde the headunit to a Double Din with Bluetooth.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations of what headunit to get? I have been looking at Sony XAV-63BT (6.1inch touch screen double din with cd, dvd, bluetooth and all sorts)

2. What is the best way to fit it in? I have heard it is quite hard to do but the dealer I bought the car from said he can do it for a fair price.

3. Will the Double Din work with the steering controls and will it mess up my information screen?

4. Will there be any other problems that I may encounter / will happen if I install one?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Loz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 6th November 2013, 01:01
Reasonable Tenor voice

Car: 2009 type s 1800 i-vtec
I would also budget for good sound insulation for the doors. Makes heck of a difference to the sound
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 6th November 2013, 03:11
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS, Tangerine
You need one of these to for a double din mate

http://bit.ly/XDg7Ro

...and the patch lead is specific to the head unit so make sure you order the sony patch lead if that's the HU of choice:

This is a mod I'm doing. I've got all the bits and planning to install at the weekend :clap:

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 6th November 2013, 08:48
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 3 Door Tangerine
That's a really good sounding unit too btw. Not as good control wise as some of the new ones, but does the job if cheaper !
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 6th November 2013, 10:42
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Morning fella

First up welcome to the forum
Good choice on the head unit ive got the Sony XNV-L66BT can not fault it, sound is awesome.

The standard speakers will sound much better with the new head unit.
I used this how-to
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachm...ic-install.pdf

ive just bought some soundedening myself just not fitted it yet but the consensus is its a big improvement

I used this as the kit to install impulse are really goo and can supply the connects too faceia ( the one i bought ) or the honda one which is more expensive but supposed to be better quality

C2 Civic Full Kit RHD

So long as you inform them of the headunit you intend to buy they will send you the correct patch lead, this will enable your steering wheel controls and the display for the climate and clock

hope that helps

Then you will need bass cause there aint any coming from the standard speakers lol

Last edited by wardy2602; 6th November 2013 at 10:49.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 6th November 2013, 16:34
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz-77 View Post
Hi there!

This is my first ever post on here so I am just looking for good, friendly advice on what to do!

Firstly, I have bought (today) a 06 Civic 2.2 CTDI ES which I wish to upgrade. I am looking to upragde the headunit to a Double Din with Bluetooth.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations of what headunit to get? I have been looking at Sony XAV-63BT (6.1inch touch screen double din with cd, dvd, bluetooth and all sorts)
All down to personal preference, find one you like the look of that has the features you want and is in your price range, then read a few reviews. Often if that particular unit isn't great, the reviewer will recommend another one at a similar price point and with similar features.

Quote:
2. What is the best way to fit it in? I have heard it is quite hard to do but the dealer I bought the car from said he can do it for a fair price.
Following a guide, makes it very simple. I suggest you take a look at my thread here, it has a lot of pictures and information regarding audio upgrades such as replacing rear speakers, installing the headunit, and a reversing camera.

Quote:
3. Will the Double Din work with the steering controls and will it mess up my information screen?
If you get the Connects2 wiring kit (will come with your fascia) the controls work perfectly and so does the screen.

Get the kit from eBay as mentioned above, it's around 12 cheaper than from Impulse suggested by wardy2602, but is exactly the same kit.

Quote:
4. Will there be any other problems that I may encounter / will happen if I install one?
The only issue I really had was during installation, being the plastic on the left side in the way of the fascia.

You may get the upgrade bug though, and start changing all sorts of things!

New speakers and a sub would be a good choice
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 6th November 2013, 20:37 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Hi there,

Thanks for all of the great advice so far! Didn't expect so many responses!!

So... I have decided to go for this beasty headunit: Sony XAV-601BT XAV-601BT | In-car Multimedia | Technical Specifications | XAV601BT.EUR | XAV601BT | Sony. Mainly because of the MirrorLink connecting for my Sony Xperia phone and the bluetooth calling / music.

As for speakers, I will use my current 10 inch Fli sub with 1000W Fli Amp as my bass response. For the speakers inside of the car, I was thinking of components for the front (JVC or JBL, nothing fancy) and some co-axials for the rear.

Now to the fitting....

I have bought the fascia with Connects2 and Sony patch lead so I have everything I need to go! But I am not confident for fitting it! I am not the best DIY fitting person around and would rather have someone fit it properly and not mess anything up! Don't suppose anyone has any idea of costs for fitting? Apparently, Halfords do free fitting if you buy a headunit?

I will leave the sound dampening for when I am happy that my speakers and headunit work, but thanks very much for idea!

Again, thankyou all for your comments!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 7th November 2013, 17:03
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2,5 door,NighthawkBlk
Where abouts in Oxford are you?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 7th November 2013, 18:32
Supporter

Good question. I'm also in Oxford and thinking about wiring up my civic for a sub

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 7th November 2013, 19:30
Reasonable Tenor voice

Car: 2009 type s 1800 i-vtec
It can take a while for the speakers to burn in (I think that is the correct term). So if it does not sound wonderful at first give a few weeks. My Massives took a month before sounding better.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 7th November 2013, 21:58
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Speakers run-in like a car.

I must have a rubbish ear as I have never noticed the difference (and not just car speakers) or maybe a lousy memory.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 8th November 2013, 11:16
Supporter

Car: 2.2 lrd tuned Black
not sure about more recent sony headunits but a few years back when i was more involved in car audio sony units were pants, sound was flat and had no control, when you turned up the bass it went from none to distorted to ultimate fart sounding...

i always went for and recommended Alpine, or pioneer, Alpine always gave a crisp sound with great settings to control the sound, pioneer were very bassy headunits.

In my car im running the stock headunit, with stock speakers and have my sub set to fill the bass frequencies but not a booming system, just a nice natural sound.

i prefer the sound of my civic now compared to the bose setup in my missus rx8
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th November 2013, 23:09 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by l7kus View Post
Where abouts in Oxford are you?
I live near Abingdon

Thanks for the help with my sound situation! I have decided to go for the Sony XAV-601BT, simply because it is a very good head unit with bluetooth and offers Mirror Link for my Xperia phone built in! The Kenwoods, Pioneers and Alpines all require an addition 100 module!!

As for the sub and speakers, my dad used to work at a car audio garage in Henley so he can help me fit and such.

I have bought the fascia with the connecting leads and Sony patch lead ready for fitting. A friend of mine works at the local Halfords and offered to help me fit it.

I shall post up pictures when I have completed my mission, but I might be a while yet!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 13th November 2013, 10:03
Supporter

Im just around the corner near wallingford mate, if your dad could run a power lead for me into my car id throw him a few quid! I installed an amp for new door speakers, tested it fine but then when i went to run the power lead from battery in to car i came a cropper!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 15th November 2013, 19:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Ahh I see!

My old 7th Gen Civic was pretty easy witht he sub and speaker installations. But uhh... This 8th Gen Civic is certainly far more built in a puzzling!

My Dad looked it over and said it may be a little trickier than he thought. But if it is hard to do, it is being done wrong, haha!

I will attempt my own set up first, but I am sure he will eb happy to help out!
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 10:43
Supporter

I can take the dash out with my eyes closed, its just the power lead im struggling with
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2013, 22:30 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by l7kus View Post
I can take the dash out with my eyes closed, its just the power lead im struggling with
That is the bit i am MOST scared about: removing the dash!!!

But all of my kit has arrived! The connects2 wiring loom fits to my stereo leads with my Sony Patch lead a real treat, and my head unit is damn flashy! Love it!!

But... I am to fit it.... I shall be using a mix of Pottsy's guide and others I have found on the forum to remove my dash and set up my external mic.

Ill take pictures if I can, especially of the fitting cage!!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2013, 11:50
Supporter

Mate removing the dash is a doddle!!
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 22:37 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Resurrecting my old post, in link with my post on Which Speakers Are The Best.

Headunit in, running really good, speakers nearly bought, just the sub to set up...

I have had a look at some guides to it, but I will be relying on my Dad with his electrical knowledge and car knowledge. I will try to get a guide and offer help to anyone in my area (l7kus and Donovan if you haven't done it already)
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 23:34
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Ground zero front and rear in mine sound awesome, I've listened to a motor with rainbows in and focal both sound really good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either I was after a set of vocals when these ground zeros came up at an offer I couldn't refuse and have not looked back to be honest.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page