Head Unit Reverse camera wiring help. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 11:00 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS, Tangerine
Reverse camera wiring help.

My reverse camera arrived today and I was hoping there were some basic wiring instructions in the box but there isn't and I'm slightly confused.

I'm guessing the yellow phono plugs into the yellow one on the camera and then plugs into the back or the HU.
..... Then the red phono ?? Does that plug in to the black one then go to the +ve on the reverse bulb holder ? And the earth to the car ?

I'm sure I've read somewhere about a reverse signal input wire coming from the HU needs to go somewhere ?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Wiring really ain't my thing and I'd just like to make sure before I attatch anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 11:12
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
The black plug will connect to the red one. Red wire goes to the positive side of the reverse light, black to earth or just dont bother as it will earth through the phono plug anyway.

Two options on the signal to the head unit
1. run a wire from the reverse light alongside the phono cable to the head unit
2. still run the phono cable and pick up a reverse feed from the option socket, Syx did a how to on this a while ago.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 11:16 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
The black plug will connect to the red one. Red wire goes to the positive side of the reverse light, black to earth or just dont bother as it will earth through the phono plug anyway.

Two options on the signal to the head unit
1. run a wire from the reverse light alongside the phono cable to the head unit
2. still run the phono cable and pick up a reverse feed from the option socket, Syx did a how to on this a while ago.
Cheers for the Info. Looks like I'll have to buy some more wire. I was confused as Mr Bozo said all the wire I'd need would be in the kit :/

So I need anther wire going from the reverse signal input at the back of the HU to the +ve on the reverse bulb as well ? So that's 2 wires I need to connect to the reverse bulb +ve ?

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 11:53
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
You can use the power for the reverse light, but the option connector is closer as it's in the footwell.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 12:21 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I just have some mental block that tells me to stay well away from the fuse box lol

I found some wire in the garage. Will this do:

Not sure what amp it is etc though. Does it matter ?

Cheers
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 12:24
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
No idea what kind of wire that is, but it's a low current application just to trigger the reverse function so should be fine.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 12:37
Supporter

It's not a hardship running a wire all the way from the reverse light to the headunit as you have to run the phono lead anyway. The option connector is much closer as Syx say's.

Yes you need to connect the camera power and reverse trigger wire to the reverse lights as you aren't using the option connector. Make sure the trigger wire is pretty thin as the tailgate boot is pretty tight. Some have claimed getting the phono plug through the boot, I however failed and cut it off and resoldered the plug back on.

Cable needs to be about 5 metres long by the way.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 12:53
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR, NHB
I used thin speaker cable for my reverse trigger. It's been working fine ever since.

One thing I'm missing in my setup, is being able to switch to rear view when i like, since it only engages when reverse is selected. I'm guessing that if the option connection in the fuse box is used for the power, so a constant feed is given, would you need to manually switch the camera instead of it engaging automatically when reverse is selected?
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 13:03 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Excuse my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to wiring :/ but... If the rear signal input just needs a live can it not be connected anywhere ?

Like the above post I would like the availability to switch to rear view camera when ever I like.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 13:11
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
You would need to have a constant switched feed to the camera to enable it, and then you could connect it up to one of the video inputs on your HU to switch to it whenever you want.
However this would mean you'd need to manually activate it when reversing as it wouldn't do so by itself.

Not sure what would happen if you connected the reverse signal input to a constant power source; you might find you're not able to turn off the rear camera display!
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 13:41
Supporter

I have done this on the Boxster. The camera is powered by an ignition controlled live rather than the reverse lights and the trigger is still connected to the reverse lights. I can look backwards when driving forwards by selecting manually but it still looks backward when I select reverse.

I didn't bother doing this on the Civic as there are no close +12v switched feeds nearby.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 13:55 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
I have done this on the Boxster. The camera is powered by an ignition controlled live rather than the reverse lights and the trigger is still connected to the reverse lights. I can look backwards when driving forwards by selecting manually but it still looks backward when I select reverse.

I didn't bother doing this on the Civic as there are no close +12v switched feeds nearby.
Mmmmm this sounds like a plan

I've just had a look to fit the camera and it seems a fiddly job and as the weathers **** I'm going to have the fitting priced up at my local car audio place and hopefully it won't cost the earth to have it wired up properly as discus has done

Cheers pal.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 15:13
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
The option connector again has a switched 12V if you need it.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 16:19
Supporter

Sounds like a plan. I originally thought of the aux socket in the boot to take my switched 12v from.

I rarely use the look back function on the Boxster as it's quite a small screen view on a Pioneer 940BT (the screen displays the navigation and rear view at the same time when going forwards). Normally just some d*ck in an Audi tailgating to look at anyway.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 16:25 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

To be fair I'll probably never use the function either lol but if that's how it's supposed to work then I want it set up right

I'm fussy like that lll
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 17:43
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR, NHB
Quote:

Thanks for the info. So since my cables are all done at the mo, with both the video and the power running down the side of the car. Could i now take some more cable, connect one end to the option connector in the fuse box and then splice into the existing reverse cable?

Sounds like a plan. But hopefully it would still engage when reverse is selected.
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 18:22 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I've just had a quote to fit my camera from a loc place at 80 :/ stuff that. Looks like I'll be fitting it myself so it only works with reverse gear engaged lol
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 19:02
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 EX
Hey. You could try the way I fitted mine. Quite simple. Use a scotchlok to connect the positive wire from the camera to the positive wire of the reverse bulb. This will power the camera only when the car is in reverse. Which is what is needed. Also there is no need to ground the camera as it does this through the wire to the navigation unit.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 19:07
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 EX
Forget what I just said. I missed the bit where you said you would like to view it when driving. Oops
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th November 2013, 19:30
Supporter

Don't quiet get the benefit of being able to view the camera whilst driving?? The camera is placed to view at a slightly downward angle to assist parking so what use would it be to see tarmac on the drive? Or am I missing a trick here?
Thanks to lrthumwood from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in