AUX in X car link Y cable? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2014, 23:14 Thread Starter
Supporter

X car link Y cable?

Hi,

Is the Y cable necessary for EX models? My local audio garage says its not needed as the xcarlink port plugs directly into the back of the cd player.

What is the actual purpose of the Y cable?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2014, 00:00
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
You need it if you have the sat nav, otherwise no.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2014, 10:25 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I thought so, the guy said the connector from xcarlink that goes into the back of the cd player, is the same as one side of the Y cable, hence it wasn't needed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2014, 10:49
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzer View Post
I thought so, the guy said the connector from xcarlink that goes into the back of the cd player, is the same as one side of the Y cable, hence it wasn't needed.
That's correct - they use the same connector on the back of the radio. As such if you have the sat nav (or an external CD changer) you need the Y cable to act as a splitter; otherwise you can just plug it into the connector directly.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th January 2014, 17:33 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

So I got this fitted. Its located in that compartment under the cd player / above the gear stick.

Another problem though. The aux in is fine, plays music perfectly. However when I connect my iPhone to the xcarlink, the music only plays from the left speaker. If I lift up my phone whilst connected and move it towards the passenger side seat headrest and hold it there, then music plays from both speakers.

As soon as I put my phone back down in the handbrake rest, the music plays from left speaker only. Could this be a problem with the lead or with the device itself?

I cannot see any broke clips in either end of the ipod connection lead,

Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th January 2014, 07:34
Supporter

Car: FN2 Milano Mugenised
Garage
How much are they charging you for fitting just out of curiosity?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th January 2014, 07:47
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Sounds to me like one end of the cable isn't quite seating correctly, and you moving the device causes it to shift and make a proper connection.

Check that your dock connector isn't full of lint (as that's usually my problem). Then make sure the cable is properly connected.
If you're still having problems it may be the unit that hasn't had the connection internally joined correctly - get in touch with xcarlink for that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th January 2014, 11:18 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
Sounds to me like one end of the cable isn't quite seating correctly, and you moving the device causes it to shift and make a proper connection.

Check that your dock connector isn't full of lint (as that's usually my problem). Then make sure the cable is properly connected.
If you're still having problems it may be the unit that hasn't had the connection internally joined correctly - get in touch with xcarlink for that.

@FearLess - I paid 45 for Fitting.

@Syx - I bought the device of Ebay, but the previous owner said it worked fine for him.

The xcarlink is in the little comparartment under the cd player controls. Its not fixed, but doesnt really move around, and the compartment door is closed anyway. I will try post some pics later,

I think the doc connector seems fine, but I will try use compressed air to give it a quick blast. Xcarlink sell the ipod connetion lead for 12 (although its more like 20 when you add VAT + shipping) so I don't want to buy that unless its defintely the current lead which is faulty.

Although I cannot see anything else that could be the problem, unless as you say, its within the xcarlink device itself.

Thanks

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page