Head Unit Definitive Answer On What Works With Panasonic HU - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st January 2014, 14:38 Thread Starter

Definitive Answer On What Works With Panasonic HU

Sorry for starting the millionth thread on the subject, but after hours and hours of searching I have to conclude that I'm not going to get a definitive answer from previous posts due to totally contradictory information.

My problem is this. I recently purchased a 58 plate Honda Civic ES 2.2 diesel in the UK (the model without the sat nav). This did not come with any facility to connect a 3.5mm headphone plug to play music from my phone, so after taking the standard advice from here and other forums I purchased a Connects 2 box (CTVHOX001). It is clear that plenty of people on here have had great success with this, but when I fitted it at the weekend I discovered that it didn't work. The stereo simply has no idea it is there. Pressing the CD/Aux button does nothing (unless playing a CD).

Upon further research I now see that the Connects 2 website itself says it will only work on Honda Civics with a Pioneer head unit. I haven't yet had a chance to tear my car interior apart again to check for certain, but I believe that mine is a Panasonic which, according to this stickied guide from 2008, is the standard head unit (http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-m...questions.html).

I have since looked for some alternatives but have found info advising that XCarlink also will not work with a Panasonic HU.

However, I have seen plenty of contradictory information on all of this, so the question that I want to ask is...

Has anybody definitely successfully connected either a Connects2 or an XCarlink to a standard UK Honda Civic with a Panasonic stereo/HU?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st January 2014, 15:11
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
I have had mine hooked up to an xcarlink with success in the past but not sure if it is the Panasonic HU. If you haven't had an answer I'll check when I get home as the HU is in my loft
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st January 2014, 15:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
I have had mine hooked up to an xcarlink with success in the past but not sure if it is the Panasonic HU. If you haven't had an answer I'll check when I get home as the HU is in my loft
That would be much appreciated. Thanks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2014, 01:30
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Clearly states on my HU
"Assembled by Panasonic Automotive Systems Czech"

I had no issues with my xcarlink.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2014, 20:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
Clearly states on my HU
"Assembled by Panasonic Automotive Systems Czech"

I had no issues with my xcarlink.
Thanks mate. If you don't mind, next time you are in the loft can you check the model number for me?
Mine is 39100-SMG-E016-M1. Would be interested to find out if I can swap it out for a model the same as yours.
Cheers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2014, 21:26
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Took this whilst I was up there just in case

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2014, 23:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks a lot for that.

Sadly I think this probably just goes to prove that the definitive answer that I was seeking simply doesn't exist. Clearly some Panasonic head units will work with the aftermarket products and some won't. It is also clear, from some quick Googling, that there are loads of different models of Panasonic head unit in Honda Civics- all looking and acting identical as far as I can see. Unless someone comes up with a list of which models do and which don't work for this sort of thing then it's going to be down to individuals trial and error. Poor show Honda!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 29th January 2014, 15:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Contrary to my previous post, I kept researching and found that Syx is not the only one to get an XCarLink working with a Panasonic head unit, so I emailed them to ask if the XCarLink will fit my particular Panasonic model. They replied to assure me that it would, so I took the plunge and ordered their new bluetooth box. Alas they were correct- it worked!!!

I asked them...
"Please can you advise if any of the XCarLink products which include a 3.5mm aux in connection would be compatible with my Honda Civic Panasonic stereo? The details are:
Model No: 39100-SMG-E016-M1
Ref No: CQ-MH5678G
ID No: CQ-MH5678K
Serial No: 17316860"

They replied...
"Thank you for your email.
All of our Honda interfaces include a 3.5mm aux connection and will be compatible with your Honda Civic radio."

So, definitively, from my own experience, Connects2 VHOX001 definitely doesn't work with a Panasonic head unit (as per the statement on the Connects2 website), but XCarLink products do work. Obviously I don't know if absolutely ALL Panasonic head units will work with XCarLink, but anybody who is reading this with interest should check with XCarLink via their website first.

Thanks again to Syx for pointing me in the right direction.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page