Upgrades AppRadio 3 installation question - am I missing a plug/cable? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th January 2014, 12:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

AppRadio 3 installation question - am I missing a plug/cable?

Hi Guys,

I've got a conceptual problem. I've ordered a Pioneer AppRadio 3 head unit and the Connects2 cable set with fascia and the patch cable. They haven't arrived yet, but I'm already breaking my head on how to connect these things.
Please excuse the ignorance, this is the first radio I'll be installing (I have previously installed an mp3 adapter, and an internal bluetooth module, I'm also decent with a soldering iron so not really affraid, just a bit confused)

For the AppRadio - I expect to get with it the powercable which most likely will be a plug on one end with stripped cables on the other end for power, ground, speakers etc., am I right here?

Then there is the Connects set, which will connect with the existing plugs on the Civic side, but how do I connect the stripped power/speaker cables with the rest of this hairball?

Do I need another adapter in between, perhaps an extra socket that I don't know about? Or am I supposed to cut off one of the existing stereo plugs, then strip and splice the cables?

I've looked through the double din topics but I'm affraid I'm no wiser.

Cheers

Last edited by BioTeq; 24th January 2014 at 17:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th January 2014, 17:39 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

So I think I found an answer to my own question and as usual I was overthinking it.
The radio arrives with a standardized connector on the other end of the power cable, and the whole story is plug and play... with the minor exception of the hand brake.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th January 2014, 17:49
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
The whole system is basically plug and play.

The radio will have standardised connectors on one end, that connect to the Connects2 loom. The OEM connectors then plug into the other end of the Connects2 loom.

There are a few other bits like aerial, handbrake etc. but they are fairly straightforward.
Head over to the Pioneer website; they have the installation manuals of their head units so you can see what you'll need to do
Thanks to Syx from:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th January 2014, 17:56 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Syx, I got it all now, it really is easier than I thought, I have no idea why I haven't done this earlier.
My Connects2 set just arrived, looks great, if my radio shows up tomorrow then I'll have some fun over the weekend
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 25th January 2014, 21:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

So I've attempted my double din installation today and unfortunately failed miserably.
What I got is a Connects2 set with all the correct cables and adapters, fascia, and my double din AppRadio from Pioneer.
Everything fits very well together, unfortunately when I've reconnected the battery in the car after wiring everything, my AC display never woke up... steering controls are dead as well.

I've tried connecting/disconnecting the black box (connects 2 adapter) and it doesn't help. Seems I got a dud...

To sum it up, the only thing soldered on was my green wire for the handbrake, on the Connects2 the blue and pink wires were isolated and taped up, don't see how I would need them, and every other connection was plug and play. I only have the antenna adapter left to solder on to a 12v line, but that's the last thing on my list.
On a positive note - my radio works beautifully, good reception even without the powered antenna, excellent GPS reception, I'm really happy... with the exception of the Connects2 adapter... just my luck.

Is there anything I can try before I send it back for a replacement?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th January 2014, 22:30
Supporter

It's probably a dud box, but you could check the wires going from the loom into the black box with a multimeter. At least one of them presumably will have 12v. At least that would give you an indication it's the box and not the loom.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th January 2014, 21:30 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Yup it was broken, got a replacement and fitted it yesterday... what a mindblowing improvement over that crappy oem panasonic

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page