Head Unit Time to upgrade the stereo! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th February 2014, 00:44 Thread Starter
Supporter

Time to upgrade the stereo!

Chaps I can't take the awful sound quality any longer! Given the shocking price of the official fascia I'll just be doing the stereo for now (perhaps a sub later on).

Would it be wise to go for a DAB stereo or leave it as a normal FM/USB/DVD job? I'm looking at either the pioneer AVH-X2500BT or the AVH-X3500DAB .

Which would you go for? Irritatingly I have a pretty good pioneer single DIN unit upstairs which is sat unused since removing it from my Bora.

Are the connects kits really that awful of a match to the original item? I'd like it to look OEM but I tend to spend most of my time looking at the road instead of the stereo fascia!

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th February 2014, 01:12
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mike- View Post
Chaps I can't take the awful sound quality any longer! Given the shocking price of the official fascia I'll just be doing the stereo for now (perhaps a sub later on).

Would it be wise to go for a DAB stereo or leave it as a normal FM/USB/DVD job? I'm looking at either the pioneer AVH-X2500BT or the AVH-X3500DAB .

Which would you go for? Irritatingly I have a pretty good pioneer single DIN unit upstairs which is sat unused since removing it from my Bora.

Are the connects kits really that awful of a match to the original item? I'd like it to look OEM but I tend to spend most of my time looking at the road instead of the stereo fascia!

Thanks for any help
definatly starting right with the headunit, you wont believe the difference in the sound coming out of the speakers when you swop it to either of those.
As for the headunit itself it comes down to personal taste, requirements and of course budget, personally I have a sony headunit and the sound is awesome.
I too went with the connects2 facia and I can not grumble it looks pretty spot on for me, i wanted to spend my budget on sound quality not the bit of plastic that covers a hole, I dont think the honda one is worth the extra poke unless you can come across one secondhand.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th February 2014, 01:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I've always liked Pioneer stuff Wardy! Infact I've had pioneer stereos in the car since 2002, and the civic is the only car that's survived stock stereo more than three months - if the fascia wasn't so damn expensive it would have been gone already

I take your suggestion regarding the connects 2 fascia and I think you may have a very good point. I suppose I could slap my single din on ebay, even a tenner is something towards the replacement!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th February 2014, 09:00
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Can not go wrong fella with a decent headuint then take it from there, decent suba and amp package should be next on the shopping list mate.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th February 2014, 14:15
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
You can fit single din head units:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-m...-hu-fotos.html
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 01:26 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies chaps! I spoke to Bob at Impulse who would do me a connects 2 kit with a single din pocket should I desire for just over 100 (115 iirc) but am wondering if I'd really regret not getting the genuine fascia?

Are there any pictures of the two out in the wild so I can compare them? I'll be using my single din unit for a few months as I just can't afford to buy both things at once!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 20:50
Supporter

Car: 2013 C-Max
Quote:
Thanks for the replies chaps! I spoke to Bob at Impulse who would do me a connects 2 kit with a single din pocket should I desire for just over 100 (115 iirc) but am wondering if I'd really regret not getting the genuine fascia?

Are there any pictures of the two out in the wild so I can compare them? I'll be using my single din unit for a few months as I just can't afford to buy both things at once!
Have a look at my install thread mate, I bought the Genuine Honda Fascia as I knew that the miss match in surface finish would have driven me mad, but from what I've seen in photos the connects2 one looks ok and I prefer the way in which the stereo is secured in the connects2 fascia too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 20:57 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikerz View Post
Have a look at my install thread mate, I bought the Genuine Honda Fascia as I knew that the miss match in surface finish would have driven me mad, but from what I've seen in photos the connects2 one looks ok and I prefer the way in which the stereo is secured in the connects2 fascia too.
What's the difference with the way the connects2 one secures the stereo? I think knowing I'd got the cheaper one might make me OCD about it so perhaps best to buy the proper one! I'll be putting my single din unit in so will have to purchase a pocket on top to begin with!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 21:08
Supporter

Car: 2013 C-Max
Quote:
What's the difference with the way the connects2 one secures the stereo? I think knowing I'd got the cheaper one might make me OCD about it so perhaps best to buy the proper one! I'll be putting my single din unit in so will have to purchase a pocket on top to begin with!
With the Genuine Fascia the opening is smaller and so you cannot use the double din surround supplied with your unit, you have to use the one supplied with the fascia kit which you double din is pushed into and clicks into place (like stereos always used to). But I seem to recall somewhere on here that the opening in the Connects2 Fascia is larger and utilizes the standard double din surround and the stereo is secured in place using brackets and screws just like the OEM stereo.

I can see Discus has been on this thread so hopefully he'll correct me if I'm wrong. Him and Syx helped me out a lot during my install.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 21:29
Supporter

The fascia's are identical in size, the only difference is that the cheap one has brackets you can bolt the head unit directly onto and the plastic it's made from (not such a good match). If you want to use a cage, you need a smaller 103mm one and not the one that comes with the headunit - this can be used with either fascia, this is the only option on the OEM one though.

I have the cheap fascia, slightly shiny compared to the dash but to be honest, dont notice now. I used the brackets to attach the headunit, there are so many cables, boxes etc that you would never want to remove the headunit from the cage for fear of not getting it back again.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 21:35 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I should point out here : I am absolutely awful at making decisions. Whether it be car related or anything else for that matter!

The cheap kit comes in at 115 including the pocket and the expensive one at a guess is around 230 with the pocket. The stereo I currently have from my bora is the one pictured below.

I'd like to take advantage of this for now, as the stereo I want is 300 and due to having to buy a stupid piece of plastic it makes the entire install 500+ if I go for the proper fascia!

Still no further towards deciding if I should go connects2 or Honda but still! Am I going to want to hang myself installing it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deh7200sd_main_large.jpg (27.4 KB, 150 views)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 21:45
Supporter

The car will not go any faster with the expensive fascia nor will the new headunit sound any better. I intend putting the old headunit back in the car when I sell it so it wont even get me a better price. The money you save could get you a nice dashcam or whatever, just depends how much of a perfectionist you are.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 22:16 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Perfect thank you

I'll get the cheaper one and use my single Din unit. 115 to get rid of the god awful standard stereo isn't the end of the world!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page