Speakers One speaker not working, options? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th March 2014, 12:11 Thread Starter
Supporter

One speaker not working, options?

As per thread title, my driver's side front speaker isn't working at all, no muffled noise or any sound for that matter after checking the balance on the (standard) head unit.

The tweeter on the same corner however, is working.

So before I go about pulling off the door card only to be able to do nothing about it, is this symptomatic of a blown speaker or loose connection etc? I thought that tweeters weren't supposed to be able to work without the woofer working alongside it?

?just trying to get an idea of posssible problems before i go and buy some aftermarket alternatives or attempt to fix the issue myself.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 21:20

I have the same problem with silence from driver side door speaker, but working driver side tweeter. I suppose it’s the perfect opportunity to upgrade to better speakers, but there is no point in changing the speakers if there is a common problem with broken connections in the dash or even failed headunit amplifiers etc?

Has anyone had a similar problem where new speakers have fixed it?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 21:41
Supporter

Car: TYPE R GT,58 PLATE.
I take the original head unit out first and check the connections,and then do a test with a spare speaker.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th March 2014, 19:41

Perhaps it's a break in the wire? I wiggled the wires a bit, which come from the chassis to the door and now it's works. I suspect that wire breaks or make a bad connection due to opening and closing the door everyday.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th March 2014, 03:06

To save time, I have bought a pair of Infinity Speakers and speaker rings just in case I take the door cards off only to find its the speaker that is at fault. If its not a connection issue at the speaker end, then further investigation will be required, but I'm going to stay optimistic until then.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12th May 2014, 20:20

I finally got round to installing the front Infinity speakers a few days ago. I didn't bother installing the Infinity Crossovers or Infinity Tweeters as I simply didn't have the time, and I find the standard tweeters ok. In hind sight, I should have just got normal speakers instead of components. Anyway …

When I did the front drivers door speaker, I noticed immediately that the terminals on the speaker were heavily corroded and the connector onto the speaker was also quite bad. I opened the clip on the connector to expose maximum wire, and then cut off the connectors. I then crimped on red female spade connectors to each pair of wires, and connected them directly onto the new speakers. Bingo, both speakers working again, and sounding a lot better already.

On my 57 plate ES …

Driver Front (+) = Grey Wires – 4.8mm red female spade
Driver Front (-) = Brown Wires – smallest red type

Passenger Front (+) = Light Blue Wires – 4.8mm red female spade
Passenger Front (-) = Light Green Wires – smallest red type

Obviously soldering the speaker wires to the speakers (or at least the connectors) is going to be best if you have this option. I hope this helps you.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page