Head Unit Need advice with Pioneer SPH-DA110 AppRadio - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 14:20 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 1.4 5 door, Silver
Need advice with Pioneer SPH-DA110 AppRadio

I am thinking of buying this

Halfords | Pioneer SPH-DA110 App Radio with 7 Inch Multi-Touch Screen, GPS and Bluetooth

I am wondering what else I need to purchase to get this fitted to my car. I know i must buy the faceplate, will i have to buy steering wheel control wiring? Ive heard some people buy Impulse Kits. What are these and are they necessary?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 15:29
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 CVT Sport
I would recommend the connects2 kit which includes all wiring, steering wheel control box and facia; impulse is one seller of these. Honda also do a kit which is a lot more expensive but the facia is a bitter better colour match. The connects 2 kit holds the head unit in place using plastic brackets joining to the facia, I did not like this so got a 103mm cage for about £20 to hold it more securely - the cage that comes with the head unit is too big.

I've got that head unit and love it, don't need satnav every day so happy to beam Waze across from my iPhone. You may need some extra cables to gewt full app radio functionality - for my iPhone 5S I needed a lightning to digital AV adapter which are about £40 to get touch control etc working on the head unit. Keep an eye out when buying the head unit - my local Halfords sold me one which had been returned (due to a scratch on a piece of trim which isn't required with the civic facia) for £150!

Sound quality is loads better compared to standard HU too
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 15:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2006 1.4 5 door, Silver
Wicked. Did you install it yourself or did Halfords guys do it for you?
Yeah I reckon I'll get that one then and order the connects2 kit and get a rear camera sometime in the future.
Cheers for the peace of mind, pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 15:43
Supporter

What leads did you need to run an iPod though it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 15:43
Supporter

Wouldn't let Halfords touch my car lol Did it myself, follow the guide on here for installing a xcarlink kit to get into the dash

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachm...ic-install.pdf

Just set a side a few hours, don't rush and take your time. Be aware that you need to trim a bit of the dash behind where the facia plate will go so that the head unit will go in properly. Bit more info here:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...10-s-type.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evora View Post
Check the picture below, hope it helps?
From there it's pretty self explanatory, wiring is a doddle with the kit, everything will only fit where it is supposed to go!

Last edited by CFD Guy; 4th July 2014 at 16:01.
Thanks to CFD Guy from:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 15:57
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN2cub View Post
What leads did you need to run an iPod though it?
I don't have an iPod so use the music on my iPhone 5S. To get full app radio (including music streaming and touch control of selected apps - pioneer have one which allows you to control your music library from an app optimised for the head unit display) you need one of these

Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (UK)

The wire from that goes into the phone, then you connect a HDMI and lightning cable from the other side of the adapter to the back of the head unit. I ran the HDMI and lightning cables out of the bottom of the centre console and then have the phone on the seat until I get round to ordering a Brodit mount.

The design of the apple adapter is crap, the built in cable is too short and you can't get an extension for it which works properly due to licensing chips. If the cable was longer or could be extended you could make the wiring a lot neater because you wouldn't need the HDMI cable in the cabin. I was going to run everything into the armrest or cubby hole below the radio but the design of the AV adapter is such that you would have to bend the cable for it to fit whilst connected to the phone and I already broke one of these AV adapters by bending the cable! Hence running it out of the bottom of the centre console. I don't know why they bother with a 10cm built in lighting cable to connect to the phone, they should of just put a socket like on the side that the HDMI goes! \rant

You can use bluetooth streaming too. Though you need to do a bit of a trick to get it to work on iPhone 5S by streaming music to another bluetooth device just before connecting to the head unit for the first time, otherwise it picks up the phone and serial data bluetooth profiles fine but not the A2DP profile for some reason. You need to do this whenever you bluetooth stream music from another device to the head unit too, you can also get iPhone to HDMI adapters for the 4S and I believe there are solutions for android too.

I guess it depends on what iPod, no idea if this would work with an iPod touch or similar?!? There is no 3.5mm aux in which is a problem for an iPod classic or similar!

Last edited by CFD Guy; 4th July 2014 at 16:07.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th July 2014, 16:10
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TariqD View Post
The car has to know you're not moving before video playback can occur. Handbrake up = video. Handbrake down = no video. Law init

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the Appradio 3 I didn't need to do anything with regards to the hand brake. Appradio video works fine while in motion - even youtube through the EC Touch app

Last edited by CFD Guy; 4th July 2014 at 16:13.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Tags
double din , head unit , impulse kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page