Head Unit keeping current HU and installing amps and sub etc - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 26th April 2008, 19:06 Thread Starter

keeping current HU and installing amps and sub etc

Hi

i want to upgrade my cars ICE but do not want to go down the line of changing the headunit and this seems to be very expensive

i have read that you can use a line level converter? i have no idea what this is but i gather you put in two speaker wires? ( any speaker wires?) and it outputs a normal amp input (rca) if this is the case can it be any speaker wire? can i just take the wire from the back speaker to save removing the dash?

do you lose sound quality doing it this way? are there any problems?

i plan on either getting some nice component speakers for the front and a sub and have no rear fill, or getting a midbass speaker for the back for some rear fill, but not sure as yet just want to see if i can do anything with the current head unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 26th April 2008, 19:18
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik nunez View Post
i have read that you can use a line level converter?

Yes. A so called LOC.

Quote:
i have no idea what this is but i gather you put in two speaker wires? ( any speaker wires?) and it outputs a normal amp input (rca) if this is the case can it be any speaker wire?
Yes, that´s it. It converts "speaker level" signal to "line level" which you can then connect to the regular RCA connectors on an amp.

You need left and right obviously, but it does not matter if you take it from the rear speaker connections or the front.

Quote:
can i just take the wire from the back speaker to save removing the dash?
Yes.

Quote:
do you lose sound quality doing it this way? are there any problems?
No real problems. If there was a line out on the head unit it would have been better to use that from a sound quality point of view, but there isn´t.

Also see the Wiki FAQ section on ICE:
In Car Entertainment - Civinfo Wiki

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page