AUX in Aux-In cable for DICE - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 14:06 Thread Starter

Aux-In cable for DICE

Just bought a DICE unit and will have a go at installing this weekend.
I will mainly use this for ipod connecting however while I've got the dash apart I thought it would be sensible to stick a cable in the aux-in socket on the dice unit, even if I don't need it at the moment.

Is it just a basic 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux-in cable that I need?

I did look to buy one but found out you can get 2.5mm or even a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter cable.

I do not have sat nav. its the DICE Honda R3 version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 16:19
Diesel Demon

Hi Mike,

It's just a standard 3.5mm Stereo jack plug to 3.5mm Stereo jack plug. You switch between the aux-in and iPod by pressing one of the number buttons on the stereo (can't remember which).

Damian
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 17:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

OK thanks.
Just the simple matter of getting to the back of the radio now then .
I have seen the guides elsewhere on the site.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 23:03
Diesel Demon

Just take care and you'll be ok.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 16:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Job done. Really pleased.
Installation was reasonably easy really, only one dodgy moment trying to get the front section of the centre console out with the one clip top centre just under the radio.
Luckily I managed to get the connector plugged into the back of the radio without removing the unit, could put my fingers up from underneath, felt where the hole was and fed the connector up and in.
Now got both Ipod dock and aux-in connector options. Spot on.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 19th May 2008, 19:27
Diesel Demon

Well done Mike, I've gotta say though, you must have really small hands!

The DICE box is a great piece of kit, don't u think?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 09:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I've read another thread somewhere on civinfo with regards to inserting the connector without removing the unit, some others managed it as well, some didn't, I admit my hands are fairly small but it was more just finding where the slot was first then aligning the connector and pushing. Just need some finger practise (think I'll leave it there!).

Yes I'm really pleased with the DICE box. I played with the DIP switch settings on the back of the unit and ended up choosing with the ipod control setting. I found with this you can still change track with the steering wheel controls but you can also use the ipod to search and select tracks, artists, etc.

I guess if there's anything I would have liked would be the ability to display track names on the car display, but this is only a minor issue, I know what all of the track are anyway.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 10:24
Diesel Demon

I altered the DIP switches too, dunno why you wouldn't want to turn the iPod controls off anyway? My g/f's Alpine stereo that I fitted for her at Christmas doesn't even have the option to control the iPod independently to the stereo, which really bugs her!

Re: track name display, I agree that it would have been the icing on the cake for the DICE box, but not having it isn't really a downside.... It just would have been nice! Where did you run the cable to? Originally I ran mine to the storage area under the stereo, but didn't think it looked too smart and that's where I tend to put my phone when I'm driving. Now I have it in the armrest, tucked out of sight.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 10:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Sounds like I did a similar thing to you, I drilled a hole in the back of the storage tray under the stereo and I've just curled the ipod dock cable and the aux-in cable in there. I just plug the ipod in and shove it in that area and this means that I can close the cover and you can't see any of it. I think that this might help with security, passers by can't see a thing, although I wouldn't leave my ipod in there if I was parked anywhere dodgy.

I'm not really a fan of phone/ipod mounts, but I must admit I've never really found a great place to put my phone, it normally ends up in the pocket in the door where you grab the door to pull it closed. I use a bluetooth headset while I'm driving.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12th June 2008, 22:28

Anyone have some photos this is what ive been looking for a device that allows you to control it through your ipod and steering wheel i assume that it also charges the ipod.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but you talk about a dip switch to turn the iPod controls on off, is this a physical switch what you have to manually move on the head unit or something electronic you can switch on off via the head unit.

Ment to ask does this work with the iphone in the way that if making a call it would come through the stereo.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12th June 2008, 22:48

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th June 2008, 06:55

And now you can solve your problem?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th June 2008, 10:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes, that ebay link is the one that I purchased.
They sent me the wrong one to start off with, it was the R2 model for the previous Civic, it needs to be the R3/R4 model for this generation Civic, however they replaced it immediately so no problem there.
This seller can also supply ipod cradles if you need one, but I didn't purchase this so I can't comment on it.

The dip switches I referred to are small switches on the DICE unit itself. There are 4 switches, very small, that you need a small pointy thing to operate. They set up the operating mode of the DICE unit, there are different settings for sat-nav or cd changer mode and also you can alter how it operates the ipod. These are explained in the manual.

This is a link to the manufacturers site:
DICE Store: DICE iPod Integration Kit for Acura and Honda

You can download the manual from here if you want to.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th June 2008, 17:12

Brilliant will order this soon then and have a go at getting in to the dash although i may use a child or skinny woman to get the cable in the back of the head unit so i dont need to pull the whole lot off.

Thanks will keep you posted when i get it ordered and fitted.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 14th June 2008, 17:10
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkeenon View Post
Brilliant will order this soon then and have a go at getting in to the dash although i may use a child or skinny woman to get the cable in the back of the head unit so i dont need to pull the whole lot off.

Thanks will keep you posted when i get it ordered and fitted.
Use a child, at least you can make another one if they get stuck in the car. Skinny women get harder to find the older you get (I imagine, 'cos I'm a spritely 36 yr old!)

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th June 2008, 07:25
Foz

Send a message via Skype™ to Foz
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianscott71 View Post
Use a child, at least you can make another one if they get stuck in the car.

Cool
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th June 2008, 20:53

Well i mite just borrow a child dont have none of my own.

I just ordered the one in the ebay link above, is there any additional cables you need. Cant wait to get this installed i hate having no music in the car well i hate cds.

However have you guys used an ipod cradle or mount anywhere or just tucked the ipod away somewhere im not sure where you could put a mount on the dash.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th June 2008, 17:19

Got mine delivered today and fitted it this morning works a treat, worth every penny, took some photos of the installation will post these later.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 21st November 2008, 21:07
SJT

Car: CR-V 2010 ES
DICE box - No Sound From Aux

I installed my Dice box today, the ipod side of things is working fine but I cannot get the aux to play, I put the Head unit to disc 5 track 2 and still nothin - I guess this is a settings issue as I can hear very feint music if I put the volume up to 40?

I have checked the connections which seem fine - I thought I might have damaged the aux cable with a bit of over zelous cable tying but that would not account for the feint sound that can be heard??

Any Idea's?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2008, 16:57

Try turning up the mp3 player to boost the signal to the head unit. I have to do this with my Connects 2 Aux-In.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page