There have been a number of threads and posts on installing an aftermarket double din unit, without this fantastic information from the site I would not be in the position now to go for it. My level of ICE expertise is limited to slotting in head units in my old cars so this is new ground for me. I have done a fair amount of investigation and planning and would appreciate any feedback, help or advice on my project (good or bad)
I have a Civic Type R GT LHD as I live in Sweden and even though I am very happy with the car the radio (in my opinion) sucks. The sound is average and I realise a new head unit may not produce perfect sound, this will need some speaker upgrades which will be project number 2. My concerns with the current head unit is that it is not very user friendly and slow at reading MP3 CDs. I also have an Honda iPOD link which I believe now was a complete waste of money. So these are my reasons for upgrading.
I have made my parts lists as below.
• Double Din fascia part number 77251SMGG00ZA, is this the correct part number for a LHD car? Has anyone managed to get hold of one in Sweden?
• Kenwood DNX5220BT. I looked at the DNX8220BT but some youtube videos shows it take a few seconds to boot up, this concerned me. Also the DNX5220BT has a rotary dial for the volume which I prefer.
• Honda aerial adapter Part reference: PC5-141
• Kenwood stalk control adapter Part reference: CAW-HD1470
So the plan would be to remove the current head unit and place it either in the glove box or the "secret" boot compartment, I am thinking of the glove box as it should be easier to to do and I would not lose any boot space.
• I will get the positive ignition feed either from the cig lighter or fusebox, all have there pros and cons, thinking of the cig lighter as again it could be easier.
• I will get the constant power feed from the battery unless someone can tell me an easier solution as it does not look that easy to feed the cable through the bulk head.
• As I don't have Sat Nav or Hands Free I can leave the B connectors alone?
• Connector E and D to remain plugged into the original head unit?
• The speaker wires are on connector A, therefore should I cut the speaker wires and use bullet connectors, this would allow to put the existing head unit back in and then connect the connector into the original head unit?
• Does anyone know if the cage comes with the Kenwood Head Unit?
• Does anyone know where I can get the Kenwood unit in Sweden?
I think that is all I can think of, have I left anything out?
I have added some links below as well for the parts.
As I mentioned any good or bad advice etc is most welcome, thanks.
KENWOOD (IN-CAR) DNX5220BT - www.hiwayhifi.com - Your one stop Electronics Superstore
Honda Civic fitting adaptor