Upgrades Upgrade options - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 22:08 Thread Starter

Upgrade options

Hi guys,

Only had my Type-S (non satnav) a few days - so not going to do anything too much yet, i want to track down a few rumbles first and give the car a chance to bed in before i go changing things and have them tell me they can't fix something thats not standard .

Anyway, i've been reading the forums - looking at options for an upgrade. Eventually i'll be looking at a carpc with some kind of touchscreen. For now, i'd settle for better sound out of the awful fisherprice cd player in the dashboard. Having read about the problems/cost of replacing/removing the original headunit i'm thinking along the following lines

Alpine MRP F250 (speaker level inputs so no need for a loc, small amp) 100

XCarlink MP3 (hopefully one that has line in, and usb that emulates the cd changer so controls work) 80ish

Replacement speakers (front & back)

Some sound proofing behind the speakers

Probably end up around 350 and hopefully looking at it from the outside you couldn't tell any difference. And when i install my carpc, i should just be able to hook it up to the line in on the carlink and job done!

Few questions -

Does anyone thats been behind the dash know if i could squish the fairly small amp with some space for ventilation behind the dash/glove box (279mm x 241mm x 60mm) - it won't be running at max anyway as i'm after mostly quality not volume so it shouldn't be getting overly hot assuming theres a bit of breathing space.

Anyone got any good suggestions for speakers for that amp? That are shallow enough to fit the car without too much messing about? (i'm ok with electrics but not so hot with fitting stuff) And also would i need to run better speaker wire? I was looking at these as it says "It also comes with a new spacer for Honda cars." but haven't been able to find anything else about them. But no idea about the rear! (would these be ok)

I might also do the footwell lighting mod that was posted on the forum - doesn't look too hard and as i'm dismantling a lot of the dash i might aswell go for a twofer. Anyone else actually done this before i go etching boards?

Last edited by LivesInABox; 28th May 2008 at 22:42.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 23:58
Foglight Covers FORSALE

a good sub box is all you will need, as the bass is poor to say the least on a standard set up. mine has a built in amp, and ive just added a power cap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 10:39

I'd be interested how you get on with those alpine speakers (though I would probably be only replacing the speakers and not adding an amp like you)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 12:00
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
Even when you change the fronts and rears the sound is still very trebbly
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesInABox View Post
Anyone got any good suggestions for speakers for that amp? That are shallow enough to fit the car without too much messing about? (i'm ok with electrics but not so hot with fitting stuff) And also would i need to run better speaker wire? I was looking at these as it says "It also comes with a new spacer for Honda cars." but haven't been able to find anything else about them. But no idea about the rear! (would these be ok)
No mention of impedence on the alpine 2 171a's. As far as I know you need an impedence of 4 ohms to match the speakers that are currently in the car.

Anyone know what the impedence value is for this?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th May 2008, 01:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamholam View Post
No mention of impedence on the alpine 2 171a's. As far as I know you need an impedence of 4 ohms to match the speakers that are currently in the car.

Anyone know what the impedence value is for this?
The details are here (which are missing on alpines own website). They are 4Ohm (the amp i spec`d works with 2 & 4 I believe but the factory fitted HU would probably need 4).

It seems the new "honda" fittings may be american cars as the info on most websites look like a copy and paste job - the email i've received when asking the question basicly said "If you can fit 17cm speakers in your car, then these will fit". Incredibly useful answer .

If you look here it mentions the adaptor rings and on the other page it mention the depth at 2 & 1/2 inches - which maybe ok with a spacer but i'm not 100%. Will study it a bit more tomorrow.

Does anyone know if these accord speaker leads would fit the civic as they look similar and i'd rather spend 5 than hack cables!

**I've just looked at the owners manual from here and it looks like the adaptor rings are correct (two tabs at the bottom and a screw at the top). However, you have to trim some metal out! That sounds less appealing! Although i'm thinking of getting someone to sound proof the whole door professionally and could ask them to do that bit too - Although i really did want to do as much myself as possible...

Last edited by LivesInABox; 30th May 2008 at 02:09.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th May 2008, 09:35

Very interesting! You seem to have done your research Let me know how you get on with your install but the Alpine's do seem to be the way to go!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2008, 11:38

Hi LivesInABox, do you know if the rear type s speakers (co-axial) also come with the honda speaker rings? Can't seem to find any information to say it does but I am hoping!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2008, 14:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

After spending a few days trying to get a 100% answer on whether the 171a's will fit in the front of my type-s with the supplied adaptor without drilling or cutting the answer appears to be no. Well, not no - but it will require some modding. The alpine honda "quick" mount bracket appears to have 3 screws (not sure how exactly that is quick mount - i've asked the question with alpine to clafiry if this is actually correct) and looks like it expects all the holes to have those screw clips in them (like the hole at the top has). The feeling is that "we" could swap the 2 bottom screws for bolts and nuts and use spacers/washers to mount the adaptor using the quick mount holes. Not a great solution though.

The 17C2's don't come with 3 hole honda adaptor (even though the 17C does). I have found some adaptors on ebay but i'm not sure they are right - i'll let you know if they work. I've also found some in the us but haven't found anyone to ship them over here

I *think* they will fit - you might have to nibble off those inner tabs to fit a speaker - they are SCOSCHE SAHC634 6.5" Door Speaker Adaptor for 2006 Up Honda Civic (US)

I've got a couple of rattles to investigate first and then i need to get some soundproofing and the amp sorted out, so it'll probably be a while before i have the install sorted out and some pics.

Anyone happen to know what gauge wire is running to the speakers? If the rears are less than 20 i might have to run new wiring too :/

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice-8g/14693-upgrade-options.html
Posted By For Type Date
pitanje za audiofile This thread Refback 15th September 2011 17:23