Other What will it take to get iPhone to play music and display video - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th June 2008, 17:18 Thread Starter

What will it take to get iPhone to play music and display video

Ok I am considering getting my iPod connected and want to know what I would need to connect my iPod up but also be able to display video from my Satnav display. The way I see it is that all ipod connectors do not show song listings so why not use the ipod to display the song listings!?

There are 2 problems to this...

I don't know if video ipod's display album art and song listings when connected to out side source (I only have a black and white 3g iPdo but am considering upgrading)

What connector would you use? Denison do a video connector with the ice link. Does this connect through the dock connector or do i need a video input connector aswell?

Any comments much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th June 2008, 19:15
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th June 2008, 10:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

So from what I can see, you can't get video straight from an ipod dock connector?

I know that the Denison icelink 300 (and the 100 with the adapter) allows for video but wonder if anyone has used this to allow video from their iPod's onto the screen?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th June 2008, 06:57

I had the same problem, but I'm not sure how I have solved the problem.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th June 2008, 20:51
Supporter

I have done this but its fiddly.

Do you have a reverse camera, if yes then don't bother reading anymore

To get video in you have to connect a wire to the back of the DVD unit in the glove box (this is the assuming you don't already have a reverse camera). Now this wire is not available from Honda on its own it comes with the reversing camera so you have to make one. The one I made is pictured below (there are instructions on here somewhere on how to make the cable) you then feed this wire to the central armrest.

For audio in I used a DICE electronics box which has a dock connector and also a 3.5mm audio in jack. This box connects to the back of head unit where you would connect up a CD changer. Then you split the 3.5mm audio connector to a composite Left and Right. The DICE box is shown below with all the cables. Once all connected I routed the dock connector and the composite L & R connector to the central armrest.

So now in the arm rest you have a composite video connector, a composite Left/Right audio in cable and the dock connector. The dock connector is fine just for audio from the iPod but will not send video to the screen as the other end is connected to the CD changer in using the supplied spliiter cable as it will already be in use for the SatNav.

You then need a Apple Composite AV Cable

You connect this to the iPod and then plug in the video out to the video cable you fitted and the audio L/R out to audio L/R you fitted. Below is a rough diagram of th connections.

Now when you play a video on your iPod it displays on screen but only when the car is in reverse gear as remember you are using the reverse camera input for video in. There is a way to add a switch detailed on this forum how to get around this problem.

Easy
Thanks to matg from:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th June 2008, 10:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

so does that mean that you need 2 dock connectors on the unit? One to play video and one for using with the audio (and therefore audio controls on the civic steering wheel)?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th June 2008, 21:49
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamholam View Post
so does that mean that you need 2 dock connectors on the unit? One to play video and one for using with the audio (and therefore audio controls on the civic steering wheel)?
No, you just use the dock from the Apple cable that splits to audio L/R and video. The steering wheel controls work as they control the audio level coming out of the head unit as audio out of the dock connector is not affected by the level set on the iPod
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th June 2008, 00:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by matg View Post
No, you just use the dock from the Apple cable that splits to audio L/R and video. The steering wheel controls work as they control the audio level coming out of the head unit as audio out of the dock connector is not affected by the level set on the iPod
But does that mean that it won't control the skip and rewind buttons anymore? I thought the Dice unit was capable of doing that?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 20:46

How much is the DICE to allow the IPOD to be connected, and how much for it to be fitted and you need a single to twin rca lead?

thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st June 2008, 15:13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldy2k7 View Post
How much is the DICE to allow the IPOD to be connected, and how much for it to be fitted and you need a single to twin rca lead?

thanks
DICE is about 70-90. I fitted mine myself so no idea how much it would cost to fit.

You only need the lead other lead if you want to use the auxiliary input as well as the dock connector

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page