My install [how to guide] iPod/iPhone DICE box car Kit installation - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 17th June 2008, 18:50 Thread Starter

[how to guide] iPod/iPhone DICE box car Kit installation

Thought I would share my installation of the Dice electronic iPod/iPhone car kit I took some photos of the progress just in case anyone may find them of interest or maybe even useful.

I got the kit form eBay delivered for £85 which I thought was quite reasonable, the kit comes with the dice box iPod cable and cable to connect the dice unit to the stereo, further to this I also installed the 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable as I had a spare one lying around.

The dice kit allows you to navigate the iPod while it is plugged in, it also allows you to skip through tracks with the steering wheel controls, I personally prefer to navigate through my music using the iPod rather than using the car stereo so this was why I decided on the dice car kit. Photos below show the installation.

To install the kit the dash needs to be taken of there’s a how to guide which shows you the steps although if you have small enough hands you do not need to pull the whole head unit out so do not need to do the first few steps.

Dice unit with all the cables including the 3.5mm to 3.5mm

Dice product number if anyone wishes to purchase the same one.

Connections on the dice unit

Dip switches this allows you to configure the dice unit to suit your needs, you can turn off iPod controls etc, another member on here pointed these switches out to me as I didn’t have a clue what they were until I got the dice unit, I thought they were on the back of the head unit when it was being discussed in another thread.

First off I removed the centre console arm rest there’s a few covers to pop off and some screws to take out then a sharp tug lifts it up, also discussed in another thread remember to disconnect the wire for the cigarette lighter before you pull the console out.

Next unclip the plastic surround around the gear shift unscrew the Knob and slide off this allows you to pull off the front centre console, before that you need to take off the dash below the steering wheel, this is easily unclipped see the “how to” guide on getting off the dash.

Once you have removed the dash you are left with this mess.

Not a good photo but it’s quite awkward here is where the dice unit plugs into the stereo and if you have small enough hands you can reach up and plug it in I was lucky enough to get it in on the first few attempts, although when I pulled my hand out it got a bit shredded so be careful of the sharp bits.

I screwed the dice unit on to a bit of plastic so it doesn’t rattle about however I discovered you need to move it behind that piece of plastic or the front console won’t go on right.

Now here is the point where you need to decide where the wires for the iPod is going to come out of I decided on the little compartment just above the gear shift, therefore I drilled some holes to allow the cable to pass into the compartment, I then cut it out with a craft scalpel. Feed the wires through and then put all the bits you’ve dismantled back together.

Here is where I have chosen the wires to come out of

Here is my hand after squeezing it up the back of the radio to plug the lead in, was worth a few cuts and scrapes so I didn’t need to take the stereo head unit out.

I’m not sure where I’m going to mount the iPod however got this cheapo car mount thing from asda was only £2.97, I think I may just keep it tucked away in the compartment as I don’t want to clutter it up with wires and mounts. Any suggestions on where to mount it would be good.

The END, the whole thing took around 30 to 45 minutes and is not difficult for those who like pulling things apart, I would also suggest when prising bits of plastic off wrap a flathead screwdriver tip in a small cloth to prevent scratches.

Ash

Last edited by ashkeenon; 18th June 2008 at 00:52.
Thank You to ashkeenon from 4 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 00:07
Supporter

Cracking job mate - I like the simplicity of that way of doing it.....as I was going down the Dension gateway 100 route for my iPhone....

I thing though that you may or may not know.....will this work with a sat nav HU like mine??
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 00:32
Supporter

Well i think thats just made my mind up as to which kit to go for, great guide!

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 01:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark996 View Post
I thing though that you may or may not know.....will this work with a sat nav HU like mine??
Mark if you have a look at the link below there is an option for the sat nav version, so i would imagine this would work in yours or anyone with the factory fitted sat nav.

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/For_Factory_Fitted_Radios/Honda_iPod_Car_Kit/Honda_Dice_iPod_Car_Kit/Honda_-_DICE__iPod_Car_Kit

However i got mine from eBay which worked out £20 cheaper, the link is below you could maybe mail the guy to ask if it would work or if he has the sat nav version.

iPod Dice Car Integration Kit for Honda on eBay, also Car Kits, Apple iPod Accessories, MP3 Player Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 18-Jun-08 20:49:26 BST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslz78 View Post
Well i think thats just made my mind up as to which kit to go for, great guide!
Glad it helped you out.

Ash
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 21st June 2008, 10:27
The Talented Mr. Robbieee

Car: Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Bloody great install mate, cheers for sharing!! I was thinking going down the route of putting this cable through my centre console rather than having a dock. I take it you ran the jack connection for other aux devices? Does the DICE system charge your ipod too?

Robbie
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 21st June 2008, 17:01

In the ebay item iPod Dice Car Integration Kit for Honda on eBay, also Car Kits, Apple iPod Accessories, MP3 Player Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 26-Jun-08 08:51:41 BST)
It says about XM, what is this? and it says that you need a XM button if you want to display the song tracks....
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 21st June 2008, 17:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi Robbie

The Dice unit does charge your ipod/iphone, when it is plugged into the ipod connection, but if you are just using the Aux cable it doesnt.

I dont think our radio has xm, maybe someone on here can tell us what it is i no you can get xm radio channels or something havent really looked into it.

I would recomend the dice kit as its far more easier than other kits where you have to make playlists and navigate your music through the car stereo, it also alows interface while plugged in some units do not allow you to control your ipod while plugged in, which is a pain as its much easier navigating through your music on the ipod.
Thanks to ashkeenon from:
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 21st June 2008, 17:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Oh by the way i decided to just leave the ipod tucked away in the compartment didnt bother with the cradle mount thing looked a bit clumbsy.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 21st June 2008, 20:30
Supporter

Thanks for the guide - very useful. Getting my DICE delivered on Monday so had a test run today and managed to get to the point where I could see the back of the radio. Going to try to install it without taking the top off if I can!
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 25th June 2008, 23:17

Send a message via MSN to big-kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkeenon View Post
Oh by the way i decided to just leave the ipod tucked away in the compartment didnt bother with the cradle mount thing looked a bit clumbsy.
you bought it on ebay so was it from usa ?
iCarKits - Product Information - I-HONDA-R3 $137.99 - [Normally 159.99]
so this one wil fitt ?
it onely costs 95 euro
post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old 26th June 2008, 11:21
Dandy Don

Just out of curiosity, does this affect your warranty in anyway?
post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old 26th June 2008, 12:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-kim View Post
you bought it on ebay so was it from usa ?
iCarKits - Product Information - I-HONDA-R3 $137.99 - [Normally 159.99]
so this one wil fitt ?
it onely costs 95 euro

I bought mine from the UK eBay, however the link you mention above is the same dice unit i bought, it is the R3 & R4 versions which work with the new civics, in the link above it says its I-Honda R3 the same as mine in the picture above, i would send a quick email just to make sure.

Last edited by ashkeenon; 26th June 2008 at 12:26.
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old 26th June 2008, 12:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
Just out of curiosity, does this affect your warranty in anyway?
Dont think it does as your not really changeing anything in the car just a wire that plugs in the back of the stereo cd changer port, so it could easily be taken back out again.

Maybe someone else could clear that up, as im not sure but wouldnt think it would effect the warranty.
post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old 29th June 2008, 19:15
Foz

Send a message via Skype™ to Foz
Тhanks eashkeenon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6246.jpg (48.9 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg P1030021.jpg (58.0 KB, 689 views)
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old 29th June 2008, 22:53

Just installed my dice system yesterday. Took 2 hours. I took the whole radio out- its not hard at all *Just 5 more screws). Not too bad. Very happy with the results!! Loving the system.
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 30th June 2008, 01:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Glad to see you have both managed and are happy with it i think the dice kit is well worth it.

I was going to take out the radio too just for a look, i like taking things apart and seeing whats there, never mind maybe next time.
post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 30th June 2008, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkeenon View Post
Glad to see you have both managed and are happy with it i think the dice kit is well worth it.

I was going to take out the radio too just for a look, i like taking things apart and seeing whats there, never mind maybe next time.
Its pretty easy to come out. 3 screws are the top, 2 bolts at the bottom. Then a short sharp tug towards you. Its worth it lol
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 30th June 2008, 21:54

Thanks for the very detailed guide, how does it sound? Is it as good as a normal mp3 cd?
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 22:46

Thats DICE looks great!
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 23:28

ashkeenon, does the DICE shows the song´s tittle on the Civic Screen?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Tags
car kit , installation , iphone , ipod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice-8g/15256-%5Bhow-guide%5D-ipod-iphone-dice-box-car-kit-installation.html
Posted By For Type Date
zexpe's car Bookmarks on Delicious This thread Refback 9th February 2011 22:02
www.clubhondacivic.com - Ver Tema - Posible solucion para los que tienen iPhone This thread Refback 22nd November 2009 19:27
www.clubhondacivic.com - Ver Tema - Nuevo adaptador para Ipod: DICE i-Honda R3 This thread Refback 20th November 2009 16:43
www.clubhondacivic.com :: Ver tema - Posible solucion para los que tienen iPhone This thread Refback 10th September 2008 09:08
www.clubhondacivic.com :: Ver tema - Nuevo adaptador para Ipod: DICE i-Honda R3 This thread Refback 1st July 2008 23:05