2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Atermarket Sub with Standard HU & LOC

Subwoofer 
8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  cosmicma 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Taken a good look on here and it seems I'll need an Line output converter (LOC) in order to install a sub with the existing head unit radio.

I need a little help in how to install the LOC, I have a rough knowledge the converter will bump up the things needed for the AMP to recognize the signal, but how would you go about remotely turning the amp on too? Wire it in to the plug socket into the boot?

Any help would be appreciated guys? I'm a total newbie to this :D

#2 ·
Ok you connect the LOC to a speaker out in the rear of the car, all the LOC does is resist the signal coming from the amp in the head unit to prevent it going over the suitable voltage range for the input of the subs amp. Hope that makes sense.

You just need to remove the interior on one side of the rear passenger seats around the speaker area. Strip back some of the insulation and T into those cables. There is plenty of space in the wing for a LOC or you can place the LOC in the boot area it's upto you.

#3 ·
Mr Fireblade you are a big help. Does it matter which speaker I tap into? And It's just the one I need to tap into right? I've managed to find that Rear Left + Yellow, Rear Left – Brown, Rear Right +Blue, Rear Right – Orange. So i just splice the +'ve of the LOC into the positive and negative to negative and job done?

Will this do the job?
CTLOC10 2 CHANNEL RCA LINE INPUT OUTPUT HIGH TO LOW LEVEL CONVERTER ADAPTOR LEAD | eBay

Also, how would I tell the amp that the car's on? Through use of cutting into the car plug in the boot or?

#4 ·
From my point of view it doesn't matter which side you go into, I went into the passenger side when I did mine.

All I did was unplug the speaker & about 3-4 inches down the speaker loom strip back some of the black insulation & cut the speaker wires, solder in 2 new wires (or an RCA lead depending on what connectivity your amp has) that's able to reach to the boot and solder the short speaker plug cable back on.

For the remote I already had a device connected to the ciggy lighter in the boot so again I just spliced into that and use that as the remote. It also helps because I can remove everything easily too.

That ebay item looks like it should do the job.

Reactions: NathanJones
#5 ·
If you pull back the carpet a bit under the rear seat on the driver's side, there's a wiring loom in there. That loom contains a yellow wire which goes to the cig socket in the boot.
I connected to that to power on my active sub; as it means the cig socket is still free.

#11 ·
Hiya guys, reading this I think you could all help.
firstly I've been slowly installing my amp to my car over the last few days, live wire was easy from drivers footwell behind trim, then under gear knob/handbrake then under carpet..
I wired my remote to the live in my front 12v cigarette socket, pushed through the back of the plug it's wedged and tapped in place, then runs along side the live..
As for the ground I went with the bolts that hold the handbrake fixtures in place as its all in the same area ?

Now all that is left is the RCA converter?! ? I took the head unit out, but could not figure out my rear speaker wires and after all the hastle of removing the stereo I've given up.. I seem to remember that behind the gear stick is a plug that brings all the wires from the front of the car to a loom that takes it to the rear.. Il likely install the RCA here as its more accessible
Could you help me by letting me know what colour wires are for the rear speakers? I realise some are same colour with silver spots...

Thanks in advance

Rear Right +. ?
Rear right - ?
Rear left +. ?
Rear left - ?

#12 ·
Also would anyone be able to tell me if my rear speakers would still work after the RCA is installed?
I speak to a guy at a honda meet who has had an amp installed for him and his speakers still work.. Where as most websites say it completely takes the rear signal

#15 ·
What I'm trying to do is create a low level RCA input using the original rear speaker wires, so I can run RCA to my amp that will power a single sub.. I thought if I'm not cutting wires to the rear speakers and rather sharing the same factory fitted loom plug that both may recieve a signal

I don't want the hassle of then powering my rear speakers with the amp

#18 ·
it will do both

you shouldn't have a problem running a LOC in parallel with your rear speakers as it won't or should i say shouldn't affect the impedance enough to notice
the amount of power the LOC takes will be negligible

i have gone the other route and used a high level input on my sub wired in parallel with the rear speakers with no adverse effects

#16 ·
I really think, you're either powering the speakers, or the AMP, not both... at least that's my understanding of diagrams on the internet.

It will be quite simple to disconnect the speakers, plug into amp, and then back into speakers, and then use the additional AMP output for a SUB.

That way, you have no cutting of cables at all, and it's simple / obvious what it's doing.

#20 ·
that is the plug from behind the stereo if your taking the wires that way..
I however took them from behind the gear stick as I have a 5Dr and would have been harder to get to the speakers.. Then The remote from cigarette lighter, and ground from handbrake surround

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.