Bassworks Bassworks Kit - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th May 2006, 14:17 Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Bassworks Kit

Does anyone else here have the Bassworks kit?

I'm pretty underwhelmed by it, to be honest. And I think a lot of it is to do with the way the amp is fitted, not giving access to the controls.

Let me know if you are affected, and I will see if i can come up with something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th May 2006, 15:13
Smell My Cheese!

The loaner I had, had got the bassworks fitted, all it did was shake the rear seats and make the door liners rattle.

Glad I did not get it on mine.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th May 2006, 15:58 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich
The loaner I had, had got the bassworks fitted, all it did was shake the rear seats and make the door liners rattle.

Glad I did not get it on mine.
I don't have that problem to be honest. But at the default settings, too much is being sent to the rear speakers, and they're struggling. £600 speaker upgrades shouldn't struggle.

The vibrations aren't too bad really for me.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th May 2006, 17:16

Mine needs some adjustment as most of the time it works well and the sound from it is brilliant. Some songs however just aren't right for it and the bass will either distort slightly or the bassline will sound more like a pop than a thump!

I've asked them to have a look at it on Monday when it goes in.

J
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th May 2006, 17:53 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme1978
Mine needs some adjustment as most of the time it works well and the sound from it is brilliant. Some songs however just aren't right for it and the bass will either distort slightly or the bassline will sound more like a pop than a thump!

I've asked them to have a look at it on Monday when it goes in.

J
Yeah, just not right for a £600 system.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th May 2006, 20:42

This, and other threads, have been very useful. I was considering having this retro fitted but a couple of things worried me.

First the price since the it is rather expensive. Especially as it now appears it's not the most peformant piece of kit.

Secondly, I am wary about what the dashboard will sound like if it is dismantled and put back together again. Have people noticed little creaks and rattles from it after an installation?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th May 2006, 20:59 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

No rattles for me fortunately.

I wouldnt recommend getting it, save your money. If you want to do a honda speaker upgrade, go for the coaxials (front and back if you're feeling flush!)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th May 2006, 21:13

Yeah - not a squeak out of mine!

J
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th May 2006, 19:40
RiP

Picked up my 1.8EX with bassworks Concert Pack yesterday. Haven't spent a huge amount of time with it - due to the other new arrival in my life, a bouncing baby boy - but the initial impression is that it sounds rather too wooly and uncontrolled - it's not a good sounding bass to me at the moment.

The system seems to be just smearing bass all over the place - there's no shape, no punch, just a mess. It does have a LOT of bass available - it just needs a hell of a lot of better EQ to match it to the "box" it's bolted into.

It doesn't sound nearly as refined as the Bose system in the Alfa I'm giving up but as a whole it certainly sounds a lot better than the standard unit I heard in the 2 Civics I test-drove. If I hadn't got a pretty reasonable discount on the car, I'd be annoyed I'd spent so much on this option.

--Rich
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th May 2006, 19:44 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Something needs to be done about it, because it is pretty poor.

I assume yours is mounted in the same place as mine (ie inside the dash)

I am guessing that the xover and gain settings given to the fitters is plain wrong.

They do bed in a little bit, and I posted settings on here which make it sound a bit nicer...

Still... would like to get some sort of solution because it's not £600 of speakers by any stretch of the imagination.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th May 2006, 19:54
RiP

Yep, it must be in the dash - I certainly can't find it anywhere else. Think I'll go play with the bass/treble settings a bit on a few CD's...

It's certainly very disappointing given the price. I plan to pop back to the dealer tomorrow (noticed a scratch on the instrument panel today) so I'll have a word with them. Does anyone know exactly what controls there are on the unit itself?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th May 2006, 20:03 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Settings I am using are

Bass - 1
Treble + 2
Balance Front/Back - F +2
L/R Balance - EVEN

This really reduces the impact of the bass, but I have the coaxials so this is sounding okay, because the front speakers can take the weight of this set up. Standard front speakers would struggle with these settings.

I really need to see the gain and xover settings. I presume both are set to a middle value. The xover needs to come down to maybe 1/3 of its setting, and the gain probably around 1/2 way, or just over depending on the sound of the above.

The fitting of this amp in the dash is absolutely mindless. I might ask to have mine put in the glovebox. It's not that big.

I think there's a harness for the amp built into all Civics, btw.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th May 2006, 22:55
RiP

OK - so after spending a good hour playing (and actually getting time to fetch some of my CD's out of my old car to try out) I've ended up with:

Bass: +1
Treble: 0
Front/Back: F +4
L/R Balance - 0

This is with the dual-cone+tweeter-upgrade pack, so that might explain the differences. The really important thing is the front/back balance, though.

I started by rolling the fader completely to the front to get a good sound out of just those speakers, and +1 bass, 0 treble gives me that.

Then I brought the fader back to roll in a good solid dose of sub-bass, without letting it get out-of-control. The final sound is still not up to the old Bose I had in terms of pure sound quality (the mids and top ends are rather fragile and a bit strained at volume) but overally it's actually reaonable now.

This clearly shows that the gains for the rears are way too high, as you say, basegreen, and I agree the crossovers are set high too - probably to make things slightly clearer for passengers in the back, but who cares about them?

Anyway - I'm happier now, but I do agree that being able to adjust the gain and x-over properly seems essential - or at least have them set up by someone who's not deaf to begin with!

One last thing - a lot of the "wooliness" I was getting before seems to be down to the FM reciever, CD's sound far better. Obviously FM is something you should never rely on as a reference sound source, but I hadn't got the chance to try anything else as I've been a bit busy the last few days changing nappies, etc!

Oh, and while I tested with a reaonably wide selection of CD's, my collection is rather biased towards the kind of stuff you'd hear on MTV2, so if your tastes differ your results may too!

Next, when I get some free time - some tests with MP3/WMA CDs to see how they hold up.

--R
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th May 2006, 00:00 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Good to know I'm not going mad. Must admit, I haven't tried going down the route of forcing the sound right forward, but upping the bass slightly.

Interesting. I don't have the tweeter upgrades, and have the coaxials, not the dual cones.

The coaxials sound great btw - wish I'd have had them front and back tbh, as the bass range is pretty good.

I've been using Sigur Růs as my benchmark, and a bit of Kraftwerk too.

Mp3s sound okay where the bitrate is above 192kbps.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th May 2006, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen
I wouldnt recommend getting it, save your money. If you want to do a honda speaker upgrade, go for the coaxials (front and back if you're feeling flush!)
Might just investigate the speaker option that as from what I'm hearing, the amp just doesn't seem to be good value for its performance.

Cheers!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th May 2006, 13:04
RiP

Seems my baby-induced sleep depravation has made me incapable of counting properly. My settings are actually:

Bass +1
Treble -1
Front/Back F +3 (not 4)

I think over all simply opting for either of the speaker upgrade options front and back may well be the best value for money - although I do appreciate some real volume sometimes so the bassworks amp isn't a complete waste of time!

--R
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th December 2006, 13:50
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT, Black
Send a message via MSN to neilfs Send a message via Skype™ to neilfs
Funny, I have this problem also. Great sound system but the whole car rattles. I've never been a fan of putting large speakers in the doors, my second to last car had a bass box in the boot and I left the built in speakers alone which gave me a crisp punchy bass without any door rattle.

Has anyone found the extras, and how do you tell if you have the twin cone/co-ax speakers, whats the difference?

I got a new EX fitted with the concert pack and the speakers have bass worx printed on them.

Also the audio button doesn't work, but the dealers going to take a look at that this week.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th December 2006, 14:35

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I have purchased a black civic 1.8 ES. Collecting it on Jan 2nd. Cant wait. However, having read some of the posts today re the concert pack upgrade I am a little concerned. I have purchased the Concert Pack upgrade kit (No. 76 in the accessories catalogue). It claims to have the co-ax speaker upgrade kit and bass system.
Are all bass systems now fitted into the glovebox??
What are the optimal settings for the bass kit??
What should I look out for regarding the speaker installation to make sure they are installed correctly??
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th December 2006, 18:45
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT, Black
Send a message via MSN to neilfs Send a message via Skype™ to neilfs
The sound upgrade is expensive for what it is, an amp and high quality speakers will never cost as much as £600.

However I opted to still have the Honda system as I hate the mess these audio shops make of the cars wiring - I assume the Honda upgrade will simply be pre-frabricated wiring looms and connectors, and even if that isn't the case, if it goes wrong you simply push the car back at your dealer under warranty.

My audio button isn't working, there is some sort of comms problem between my sat nav, the display screen and the CD changer which means I am currently unable to adjust the bass, balance etc.

My dealer to their credit has been really helpful after I called them to report the problem immediately before Christmas and it would seem have been doing some homework ahead of my visit and even ordered in some parts ahead of inspecting the car (weirdly they called me an hour after posting the above, maybe they read this forum) - starting to see the positive side of owning a Honda - customer service is vastly better than that offered by Peugeot and it's dealers.

My post wasn't a moan, I'm glad I have the concert pack fitted, overall it gives the sound system some extra punch, but IMHO it's what I would expect to hear when fitting large speakers into normal door cards - great sound quality until you really push the volume high.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice-8g/188-bassworks-kit.html
Posted By For Type Date
Zestaw bass civic This thread Refback 1st August 2010 14:14
Zestaw bass civic - Forum Stowarzyszenia Civic Klub Polska This thread Refback 24th November 2009 15:38