Head Unit Double din head unit and Install advice - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 00:55 Thread Starter

Double din head unit and Install advice

I've recently bought a Civic and I'm looking to fit a double din head unit.

My requirements are:

*DAB
*Connect my Android phone and mirror the screen for sat nav
*Play tracks from a USB flashdrive

I'd also prefer a decent resolution capacitive touchscreen screen, but most seem to be resistive. I was in Halfords and the screen on the Pioneer app radio 4 (DA120) looked very nice and was responsive, whereas the screen on the Kenwood 4025DAB looked cheap and nasty. Unfortunately, the app radio 4 doesn't have DAB and from what I can tell, is aimed at Apple rather than android anyway.

The head unit which is interesting me most at the moment is the newly released Kenwood DDX-5015DAB. I'm interested in unit because it has DAB and Android mirroring which works using miracast and an optional Dongle.

Because the unit is so new I can't find any reviews or videos and nowhere seems to have any to demo. The Kenwood unit I viewed in Halfords had a terrible screen so I would prefer to try before I buy rather than buy it and be disappointed.

Can anybody recommended a double din upto 400? I'd consider an Android unit, but non seem to have DAB.

Also, Halfords quoted me 29.99 for fitting a double din but wanted an additional 230 for accessories like the fascia, steering wheel control stuff etc. They said I maybe able to source these myself to save money. Can somebody confirm this kit (Inc patch lead) is all I need to fit a double din into my Civic? My car is 2008 type S.

C2 Civic Full Kit RHD

Last edited by DanTheManc; 14th April 2015 at 02:44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 18:14
Supporter

Car: CTR GT
Hi,

I'm in the proccess of doing this my self. I got the fascia kit with all the connections required to do the conversion from here.

Connects2 Car Stereo Fitting Kit Double DIN Facia Radio Installation For Honda - CTKHD01

I also picked the JVC KW-V20BT head unit.

I'm hoping to get it fitted this weekend.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 18:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the link. That looks very similar to the fitting kit I linked but slightly more expensive.

Are you planning on fitting the unit yourself?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 20:39
Supporter

Yer, I will be fitting it myself.

I might do a step by step and post it on this forum. Fingers Xed it all goes well.

Total spend for this project is 330.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 20:43
Supporter

Car: 2009 CTR GT Milano Red
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Steven1976
There is a very good step by step guide on the forum somewhere and a good video on youtube, I'm looking to do this as well and I will be interested to see where you mount the dab antenna
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 20:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1976 View Post
There is a very good step by step guide on the forum somewhere and a good video on youtube, I'm looking to do this as well and I will be interested to see where you mount the dab antenna
Any links mate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by revels View Post
Yer, I will be fitting it myself.

I might do a step by step and post it on this forum. Fingers Xed it all goes well.

Total spend for this project is 330.
Sounds good. Best of luck with it and a step by step guide would be fantastic.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 21:01
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1976 View Post

Yer I've seen the step by step on here, I'm wanting to do a more in depth guide, like showing the plugs ect. As this was hard for me to find out while doing my research.

I would like to think that my guide will help someone else, as my experience of looking into this opened up a whole can of worms. LOL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 22:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by revels View Post
Yer I've seen the step by step on here, I'm wanting to do a more in depth guide, like showing the plugs ect. As this was hard for me to find out while doing my research.

I would like to think that my guide will help someone else, as my experience of looking into this opened up a whole can of worms. LOL
I would really appreciate a dummies guide mate

I know nothing about installing stereos. I know I need a patch lead but I don't even know what a patch lead does. A step by step guide showing the connectors would be brilliant.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 15th April 2015, 07:07
Supporter

The patch lead is the connection between the head unit and your steering wheel controls. The patch leads are manufacture dependent.

Some patch leads connect via a 3.5mm jack plug, others use a single wire( blue with a yellow trace).

Connects2 JVC Stalk Steering Control Adaptor Patch Lead CTJVC2LEAD | eBay
Thanks to revels from:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2015, 12:17

Car: 2008 CTR red
A step by step guide would be great, I've struggled to find a guide that tells me everything so I'm just going to do what I know and figure the rest out next week some time..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2015, 19:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Fitted mine today.

I've still got to route the microphone and USB extention cable. They're both routed to the footwell at the moment. Rather than stick the DAB antenna to the windscreen, I've put it below the panel at the top of the dashboard. The reception seems fine, but I've only tried it on my driveway so far.

My non genuine fascia adapter isn't sitting quite right. I'll have to sort it out another day as it's a dull day in Manchester and fairly dark.

Scottyjm I used this guide by x5252x. It does tell you how to wire up the headunit but it's self explanatory as the connectors are all different sizes and only fit into the correct locations.

Last edited by DanTheManc; 2nd May 2015 at 20:04.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th May 2015, 23:14
Supporter

Car: 57 Type-R GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheManc View Post

Fitted mine today.

I've still got to route the microphone and USB extention cable. They're both routed to the footwell at the moment. Rather than stick the DAB antenna to the windscreen, I've put it below the panel at the top of the dashboard. The reception seems fine, but I've only tried it on my driveway so far.

My non genuine fascia adapter isn't sitting quite right. I'll have to sort it out another day as it's a dull day in Manchester and fairly dark.

Scottyjm I used this guide by x5252x. It does tell you how to wire up the headunit but it's self explanatory as the connectors are all different sizes and only fit into the correct locations.
If the fascia problem is that it's not sitting flush on the bottom left you may need to cut slightly more plastic away on the inside. I had this issue and just needed to be a touch braver with removing the plastic lip inside of the dash.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page