AUX in Possible iPod solution? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 14:21 Thread Starter

Possible iPod solution?

I notice from this thread that the head unit in the Civics has now been sourced from Matsushita (Panasonic). I used to work for a Panasonic dealership long ago, and remembered there being an iPod connector for their car audio units when the earlier iPods were kicking around. I've done some research, and sure enough there's an updated version, the Panasonic CA-DC300U Direct Cable:

from Panasonic's site
"The Direct Cable for iPod® is all you need to connect your iPod player to your head unit. The head unit will display iPod information, including artist name and album, and you can select iPod tracks and playlists directly from the head unit. Power is supplied to the iPod player from the head unit, so you can enjoy the vast amount of music on your iPod player while charging at the same time."

Another link on Amazon US

The first question is, would these suit the American Civics or the European ones? I've yet to find a link to a UK dealer that sells them, but if someone can confirm that they'd be suitable I'll pop into my local Panasonic dealer and order one to be the guinea pig, or have someone in the US send one over.

The second question is, when did the head units become Matsushita ones? My Civic was first registered in Feb '06.

Apologies if I'm wondering off the beaten track and getting people's hopes up falsely; just thought it would be a beautifully simple solution that was worth exploring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 14:35
Smell My Cheese!

Can't quite see from the photo on that thread where the connection is for the cable, theres a better photo somewhere. (Anyone recall where)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 14:40

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 14:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Were the better images in this thread?

Good find karlak -- now to confirm when the units became Matsushita, and whether that cable will be the right fit. I'm certainly willing to spend £40 to find out if someone with more experience in car audio can confirm that the two are likely to link...

Last edited by YorkshirePud; 7th November 2006 at 14:43.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 15:52
Supporter

I see a lot of discussion about ipod, but I have an MP3 player 20Gb IAudio X5 to be precise and all I want to do is plug the cable in and listen to Music........is that really so difficult?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 16:05
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jolly View Post
is that really so difficult?
Yes....
I just want to get it set up for under £100 to be honest; then I'd go for it whatever the solution, even fitting it myself.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 16:33

I am really dissapointed that the official Honda one is for iPods only. I have a 20Gig Sony walkman with all my music on. What is wrong with a 3.5mm jack to plug it into?? It wold be far easier and cheaper than this solution Honda have come up with. It would also work with anything that has a headphone jack. Come on Honda! Wake up!

For now I will stick with my FM transmitter to listen to it on the radio. Not perfect, but it works well enough...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 16:40
Supporter

I am using the same Bungle and the quality is not good.

COME ON HONDA HELP US OUT
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 16:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I think the appeal for manufacturers and users alike with an iPod integration kit is that they have the potential to display track info on the car's display system, and change track using the car's controls, rather than the mp3 player's screen and buttons. (This isn't possible with a simple line input.)

I think that operating a phone or mp3 player whilst driving is illegal in the UK, and since the iPod is the main mass-market player that offers more than just a stereo output manufacturers are probably right in concentrating their efforts on it. Adding a line in on the front of the unit is encouraging people to plug their mp3 units in and operate them whilst driving; convenient, yes, but certainly not as safe.

Back to the thread topic -- does anyone know the model number of the 06 Civic's Panasonic head unit? I can't quite make it out from the pics I've seen so far...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 16:54
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshirePud View Post
I think the appeal for manufacturers and users alike with an iPod integration kit is that they have the potential to display track info on the car's display system
Potential maybe, but the ipod kit doesn't do this...I don't think it even controls tracks!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:00
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
You can skip up albums and tracks, but it's blind (at least on the non EX/GT versions)
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:06

mmmmm, I have been studying these posts about ipod connections for a while as I have an almost full 30gig ipod. In the end I sat down at my pc and burnt copies of my favourite playlists to CD, 20 CD's took me about 45 minutes and a cost of about £1, job done. One cd has about 10 hours of music on it, itunes puts them in folders the Civic can read (and display) and just noticed this morning that if you scroll through either the tracks or the folders and computer voice reads out the name (I thought that was pretty cool) never thought i could do without my ipod, but this works and got me putting together new playlists for the first time in a year!
BTW I do have an FM transmitter which I used connected to the cig lighter and that worked pretty well aswell but wanted the display and control from the car.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:17
Smell My Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic Engineer View Post
mmmmm, I have been studying these posts about ipod connections for a while as I have an almost full 30gig ipod. In the end I sat down at my pc and burnt copies of my favourite playlists to CD, 20 CD's took me about 45 minutes and a cost of about £1, job done. One cd has about 10 hours of music on it, itunes puts them in folders the Civic can read (and display) and just noticed this morning that if you scroll through either the tracks or the folders and computer voice reads out the name (I thought that was pretty cool) never thought i could do without my ipod, but this works and got me putting together new playlists for the first time in a year!
BTW I do have an FM transmitter which I used connected to the cig lighter and that worked pretty well aswell but wanted the display and control from the car.
The car reads the folder names to you off the MP3 CD, how do you turn that on. Or have I missed the point.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:22

No idea, it was doing it this morning, freaked me out to start with. Had a whole CD of MP3 burnt from Itunes, and as I was scrolling through the various folders to find an album to listen to, a computer type voice was reading them out for me!!!! I cant say I had heard this before.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:26

I wonder if that's an EX only feature. My ES has cetrainly never done that for me. Please let us know how you got your car to read!
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:26

BUT how cool it that!!!! you dont have to take your eyes off the road
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:28
Smell My Cheese!

*Runs outside to play with the car*
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:31

I burnt that CD at the same time as the others but not heard this on the one or two I have played, however this was maybe the first time i had let it read the whole disk before playing, maybe its part of the EX's thang but when your half awake and a mystery voice says....Megadeth.....metallica... etc, it wakes you up
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:34
Smell My Cheese!

You sure you weren't listening to the Top40 read by Stephen Hawkings??

Mine is quiet......
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 17:57

Look at the music I listen to, maybe it has something to do with a pact i made with the devil at a crossroads a long time ago!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page