Head Unit What Head Unit Do you have? Do you rate it? - Civinfo
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By deni.babe
  • 2 Post By HeadStand
  • 2 Post By Adrian-s

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2017, 16:38 Thread Starter
Supporter

What Head Unit Do you have? Do you rate it?

I'm looking to change my head unit so I can plug my phone in an listen to Audible on my commute. I've been into a few shops around here, including Halfords and they're not really interested in talking to me about the head units.

I have an Android phone, don't want Android Auto but would like touch screen as I think it suits the feel of the car well.

Can anyone tell me what they have in their car, what they like and what they dislike about it? I want to avoid blue tooth as I've always found it hassle with my phone frequently forgetting and going through the pairing process again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2017, 23:24
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,011 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Halfords is just an auto parts store, yeah they sell headunits but their range is limited and staff are under trained in headunits.
If you want really good help.

Go to a store that just sells car audio products.
The staff will be better trained, they will have stock of primary and secondary harnesses.

I went down to a local one and got a Kenwood DNX4150DAB for my impreza.

I have an android phone, I would've loved to get an android based HU with a modern android UI that was cheap but none fit that bill.

The DNX4150 has it all for me.
GPS, USB, Preouts, FM, AM, Touch screen, BT, DVD reader.

If you're not intrested in DAB or GPS you can reduce the price quite a bit.

But overall you will be looking at 2 main kinds of 2din headunits.

The 6" type which I prefer but these you may have to have a bezel around the unit to fit around the dashboard fascia.

Then there is the 7" types
I disllike these units as the LCD portion sticks out because the LCD flips out of the way to allow you to insert CD/DVDs as well as SD cards.
This means another part to possibly break
Be it someone bumping into the LCD when it is down damaging it or the motor mechanism failing.

Last edited by Grayfox; 22nd September 2017 at 23:42.
Thanks to Grayfox from:
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2017, 10:30
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,570 Posts
Garage
i have the pioneer avic f980dab fantastic head unit satnav the lot..

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...ab_p-33156.htm

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0552.jpg (110.9 KB, 214 views)
Trev27 likes this.
Thanks to deni.babe from:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th September 2017, 21:34

Ive just fitted a Pioneer 3800 thingy (DAB/DIvX etc etc).

I bought it from Halfords online for less than £200, it was "ex demo", I had it sent to my local store and when it arrived I looked it over before paying and it clearly was brand new, nothing opened and not a mark or fingerprint on it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 30th September 2017, 06:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

A lot of love for Pioneer and they do look good. I'll go with one of those!
deni.babe and Trev27 like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 00:25
Supporter

Had several Pioneers through the years and love them, can't go wrong with one in my opinion.
Red Dwarf and Trev27 like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 09:48
Supporter

Car: 2009 Championship Type R
I have an AutoPumpkin unit. Unfortunately however due to the fact their service totally stinks and if you have an issue then your screwed i would highly recommend avoiding them.

Would pay the extra and get a named unit like the Pioneers above.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 10:34
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
Then there is the 7" types
I disllike these units as the LCD portion sticks out because the LCD flips out of the way to allow you to insert CD/DVDs as well as SD cards.
This means another part to possibly break
Be it someone bumping into the LCD when it is down damaging it or the motor mechanism failing.
the Connect unit on the FK2 (i assume FK8's too) have motorised 7" panels. cant say i ever use it and i purely use USB storage. Satnav updates on the Connect unit are from USB so the optical drive will never get used on mine.
it's a good point though. not something i'd worry or really consider in my buying list.

i havent found much about the physical side of the unit that i dislike. side buttons (driver side) work well for the odd time i use them. I'm primarily touchscreen & steering wheel controls over the physical buttons.
Software is a bit lacking for what should be in the car/premium audio pack.

I have actually looked in replacing it, and the things i came up with for the *connect* units is that half of the conversion boxes are not compatible. they're all for the non-Connect HU's/cars.
as such, steering wheel controls would be missing, so i'd recommend a physical rotary knob over physical or touch type buttons.

i know the 8 and 9gens have different options, but just giving my 2pence on things you might not of considered or food for thought for how you use your kit.

Satnav is a big one actually. check for how much satnav updates are in the future. the Honda Connect system now uses Garmin and is updated directly from garmin... regular updates, and regular prices; no inflated dealer-only disc costs etc.

i would want to play with android auto, seems to have some nice integration features even if it's not something i'd use 99% of the time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 10:54
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
When putting in a route into my pioneer on my old mk8 (factory fit) it gave me multiple options route wise to my destination, so I could choose my preferred route. This ere connect job doesn't unless I'm missing something. When I recently decided to go via M6 toll road it was junction after junction trying to get me off, same for return trip advising uturn after uturn. I've had to select location on M6 toll as a passing point in order to get it to understand and calculate the route I wish. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th October 2017, 16:36
Derv Driver

Car: 2010 Civic 2.2 VXi 5Dr
Garage
Send a message via MSN to SykomantiS Send a message via Skype™ to SykomantiS
I have a Kenwood DDX9016SM
But it has Android Auto :P

Very good unit, I think. Was a bit pricey, but I'm very happy with it.
Has all the bells and whistles. Bluetooth, USB, HDML/MHL, AV, camera interface, capable of FLAC playback, etc.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 13:02
Supporter

Car: 2010 Type S 1.8 GT
Garage
Fitted a Kenwood DMX7017DABS about 2 months ago.

Has DAB, bluetooth, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, iPod, works with steering wheel controls, Reversing/Dash cameras etc. Higher end of the budget for the fact it has a lot of features, but I think there's a cheaper model without AA. Think bluetooth is standard on most things nowadays.

Interface is pretty good - android auto is pretty useful for navigation and spotify. sound quality is much better than stock head unit, plenty of sound options if you like tinkering with that kind of thing.

Only complaint is that it doesn't work with SVC - meaning I have to adjust the volume quite a bit.

Can't link a photo as I'm still new here.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st October 2017, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperienceWins View Post
Fitted a Kenwood DMX7017DABS about 2 months ago.

Has DAB, bluetooth, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, iPod, works with steering wheel controls, Reversing/Dash cameras etc. Higher end of the budget for the fact it has a lot of features, but I think there's a cheaper model without AA. Think bluetooth is standard on most things nowadays.

Interface is pretty good - android auto is pretty useful for navigation and spotify. sound quality is much better than stock head unit, plenty of sound options if you like tinkering with that kind of thing.

Only complaint is that it doesn't work with SVC - meaning I have to adjust the volume quite a bit.

Can't link a photo as I'm still new here.
Hi.
I've been tempted in this unit myself.
How well does the Andriod auto work please?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st October 2017, 17:18
Supporter

Car: 2010 Type S 1.8 GT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenbyte View Post
Hi.
I've been tempted in this unit myself.
How well does the Andriod auto work please?
Works great.

Occasionally the display will 'freeze' when first connected (haven't really figured out why), but switching to the home screen and back to AA sorts it. Rarely happens though.

Voice commands are pretty handy, though I think it uses the phone's mic rather than the mic connected to the head unit.

Maps works great (just started using Waze with Android Auto, seems to work alright)

Spotify also great, though voice commands don't work so well with this.

As well as dimming the display, it also switches to night mode (darker colours) when the lights are on so it's less intense, which I quite like.

Without the handbrake on, it does restrict certain things (keyboard on maps, browsing too far in spotify etc) but that's not an issue for me. Make sure you connect the handbrake cable or it won't let you set up AA.

Don't think ive forgotten anything..

Hope this helps!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 30th October 2017, 18:28
Supporter

Car: 2012 Civic ES 2.2 i-DTEC
Garage
I have the factory head unit and it works fine

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page