3Likes
  • 1 Post By Type 666
  • 1 Post By Haltamer
  • 1 Post By Grayfox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd October 2017, 13:22 Thread Starter

Question Jvc head unit usb search question

Hello all,

I am looking at buying a JVC KD-X342BT head unit for my car and i want to play music via a USB pen drive. I popped in to Halfords, along with my USB drive full of music to have a look at the stereo working.

The stereo picked up all the files and was able to play the music fine but i have a question that the member of staff couldnt answer so was wondering if you lot are able to...

When scrolling through the folders on the pen drive, the stereo would show on the display...

Folder01, Folder02, Folder03 and so on and then it would show the name of the track (sorry if this isnt making much sense, its easier to see than explain) but what i want when scrolling through the folders is for the stereo to show the names of the albums eg ac\dc back in black, Black Sabbeth black sabbeth etc and not folder01, Folder02 etc.

I have made sure the folders are named the name of the album but it still comes up with the folder number.

Do any of you use this stereo or one like that has had the same issue? Any idea's on how to make the stereo show the name of the album and not a number?

i did have a look at other Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer head units but they didnt pick up all my flac files like the JVC did so i would want to stick with JVC.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd October 2017, 23:49

Car: 2008 Type S GT 2.2
Thumbs up

Sorry can't help, I've an iPod lead connected to my Pioneer, but I salute your taste in music Sir! AC/DC, Black Sabbath!
onofftreblebass likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2017, 00:09
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
This is down to two possible reasons:
File metadata, and headunit software.

In the stock head unit (9Gen), By default, It gives folder lists like you mention. There is no method I am aware of for browsing by album, artist, genre, etc.

However, When using JetAudio, a 3rd party app I installed, It generates a library where I can choose album by album etc, without regard for the underlying file structure.

To ensure your media files are tagged with the correct metadata, you can use standard windows explorer:

Or, Right click -> Properties -> Details Tab:

If all of the relevant information is in the relevant fields here, your metadata / files are fine, and it is simply down to the software in use on the head unit. If you can install a 3rd Party app, like Jet audio, you can have the best of both worlds.
I think in part, the use of a file structure browser is to prevent the need to generate a local media library on the device; when using Jet Audio I'll be up the road before it has discovered and listed all the albums on my USB drive.

If you are missing the relevant metadata, or have some files that are, you can quite easily add it - Personally, I've found MP3Tag to be the easiest way to do this; It's certainly worthwhile, especially if you have a diverse library of music.

Hopefully that's of some help
onofftreblebass likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2017, 00:27
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,011 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Normally a headunit should pickup the folder name and display it, but this is up to the firmware to show it correctly.

Avoid using the following in folder titles
Tilde (~)
Number sign (#)
Percent (%)
Ampersand (&)
Asterisk (*)
Braces ({ })
Colon ( : )
Angle brackets (< >)
Question mark (?)
Slash ( \ or /)
Pipe (|)
Quotation mark (" or ')
Period (.)
Haltamer likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2017, 09:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Type 666 - No worries and thanks away
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2017, 09:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Haltamer - Thanks very much for your detailed response

I use MP3tag to update all my metadata and dicogs within MP3 tag to make sure its all correct. I dont have any qwerky special characters so it must be down to the head unit software.

I have never used JetAudio so when you say install it, are you on about installing it on my pc and then the software can tag my folders to potentially name them in a way that the head unit picks them up?

thanks again!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2017, 09:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
Normally a headunit should pickup the folder name and display it, but this is up to the firmware to show it correctly.

Avoid using the following in folder titles
Tilde (~)
Number sign (#)
Percent (%)
Ampersand (&)
Asterisk (*)
Braces ({ })
Colon ( : )
Angle brackets (< >)
Question mark (?)
Slash ( \ or /)
Pipe (|)
Quotation mark (" or ')
Period (.)
Thanks Grayfox, i am not using any special charachters so back to the drawing board

The head unit has everthing i need and can recognise all my flac files so i may just put up with it.

cheers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2017, 10:43
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onofftreblebass View Post
I have never used JetAudio so when you say install it
As the rest of your response says, I think it is just down to the head unit - You've got a nicely curated library

Jetaudio is an app I've installed on my headunit, from CMDroid.

If the JVC Unit is android, you may well be able to do the same, if not, you might want to consider an android unit, as you should still be able to play any FLAC's you have as well as having a full media library, as I do with Jet audio on my headunit, or with a media app of your choice.

AS I mentioned though , this does come with the issue that it takes a few moments to map out your media library at the first start. I'll let you know if it is persistant across multiple starts, if so, It's not that big an issue, otherwise it's fairly irritating.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 21:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
As the rest of your response says, I think it is just down to the head unit - You've got a nicely curated library

Jetaudio is an app I've installed on my head unit, from CMDroid.

If the JVC Unit is android, you may well be able to do the same, if not, you might want to consider an android unit, as you should still be able to play any FLAC's you have as well as having a full media library, as I do with Jet audio on my head unit, or with a media app of your choice.

AS I mentioned though, this does come with the issue that it takes a few moments to map out your media library at the first start. I'll let you know if it is persists across multiple starts, if so, It's not that big an issue, otherwise it's fairly irritating.
Thanks for the advice Haltamer

I am probably going to still go for the head unit as it reads all my FLAC files where the others failed. The 2x pre-outs is a massive selling point for me too.

I will get my laptop and sit in the car and mess around with the different naming conventions and see if I can get it working.

if all fails, I will have to memorise the number of the albums I want to listen to :-p

Thanks again

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page