Head Unit Help with head unit installation - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th October 2017, 22:20 Thread Starter

Help with head unit installation

Hi all,

First time user and poster here so wondered if I could get some advice.
Last week I wrote off my beloved 'Ruby' (MK8 Civic 07) Very happy to be alive tbh. Anyway, she has now been replaced by an 06 model 2 days ago. It's what I could afford and I was adamant to have the same car as i'm convinced it saved my life (they're built robust!).

Although both cars seem almost identical, there is one big difference - the head unit. Ruby came with the integrated sat nav console which this current model does not have, and i'm missing it a lot already. So i've taken it upon myself to upgrade the unit. It all seems a bit daunting, but I could do with a project that i'll hopefully be proud of after completion. I somehow managed to change the stereo on a previous car I owned from a cassette deck to mp3 and only broke a nail for my troubles so i 'm not too bad with wires if the instructions are clear enough.I'm optimistic and determined to do it without any help. Especially after the quote I was given when I paid a visit to the local body shop..

So far,

- I've found this tutorial on YouTube to help me along:
Search: Radio Removal Honda Civic MK8 (2005-2011)
If you know of any better, please let me know.

- Purchased some trim tools

- Looking to purchase this (sorry can't post links):
Search: Panlelo PA09 in Amazon
Not a big fan of android systems but it's within my price-range, has good reviews outside of Amazon and has all the functions I need (plus extras). And I like that I can hook up a dash/rear cam to it. The manufacturer also claims that it should come with all the connectors needed for my car...i'm not sure how true this is...

- I bought a double din facia (without connections) in haste *face palm*.

So now i'm basically wondering if i should've purchased this kit instead:
Ebay search: Connects2 CTKHD01 Honda Civic 2006 Double DIN Complete Radio Installation Kit
(sorry can't post links yet) because of the Connect2 cable? Question is, do I actually need the Connect2? I know I can buy this separately if need be but i'm not sure.

Any other advice on what else i'd need to purchase to make sure the installation goes as smoothly as possible? I'm pretty sure i'd break all my nails doing this, so i'm only looking to remove the trims and panels just the one time And I also want to be sure that all the wheel controls work after this new installation.

Thanks so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 13th October 2017, 13:06
Supporter

Car: 2010 Type S 1.8 GT
Garage
Quote:
- I've found this tutorial on YouTube to help me along:
Search: Radio Removal Honda Civic MK8 (2005-2011)
If you know of any better, please let me know.
If it's the video by JustSimpleTips you're referring to, I've used that one recently and it's really good. Patience is key when removing/replacing panels though, or something will get broken!

Quote:
Question is, do I actually need the Connect2?
The Connects2 box/wiring kit keeps your built in display working correctly after removing the OEM head unit, including climate control and date/time. Also provides a means of plugging an aftermarket head unit in and retaining steering wheel controls, so I'd definitely say you'd need it.

Can't really comment on the head unit, but looks like it should do the job.

Couple of other little things I found which may be of use:
  • There's lots of screws/little covers that might get lost, would recommend getting a little pot or something to keep them all organised in.
  • The old head unit has two screws holding it in at the bottom, but the new fascia doesn't really have anything to secure it down the bottom. Since I used a cage to fit my new head unit, and put cable ties from the back of the cage to secure points on the car to hold the whole thing in place a bit better. Can provide photos if need be.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 13th October 2017, 16:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
[*]There's lots of screws/little covers that might get lost, would recommend getting a little pot or something to keep them all organised in.
Thought about that - got this handy magnetic cup that I'll be using to save all the screws
[*]The old head unit has two screws holding it in at the bottom, but the new fascia doesn't really have anything to secure it down the bottom. Since I used a cage to fit my new head unit, and put cable ties from the back of the cage to secure points on the car to hold the whole thing in place a bit better. Can provide photos if need be.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Would really appreciate pics if you could. I find I make way less errors with visual instructions.

Thank you so much for your advice. Will be purchasing this Connect2 tonight

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th October 2017, 00:32

Car: 2008 Type S GT 2.2
It is a very rewarding job to do yourself. There are multiple guides on here so keep reading them and before you know it you'll know the job off by heart!

A tip if you're going to hook up a reversing camera - make sure you get a night vision one, so worth it!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page