My install Kenwood DMX7017DABS & Connects2 - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stonesie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th November 2017, 18:43 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2010/1 Milano FN2
Kenwood DMX7017DABS & Connects2

Hopefully this will help someone who comes up with the same issues I did fitting mine today / yesterday, I searched around and couldn't find anything definitive. My car's an 2011 FN2 but I assume it's the same for all 8th Gens.

CTMULTILEAD.2:

I connected Key 1 to the Blue / Yelow from the headunit (IIRC it's the steering wheel remote)
Cut Orange & Purple loop, not convinced you need to, but I did.
I used GND and connected this to the light green Parking sensor wire from the head unit, PRK SW (otherwise your android phone will tell you to engage the handbrake for Android Auto ad nauseum... If I'd have known this in advance I'd have grounded it somewhere like the headunit itself.

Other:

For the FM receiver to pick up stations, connnect the blue Connects 2 aerial adapter wire to the White / Blue (P.Cont) from the head unit.

Steering wheel controls are working fine to set the clock, change volume and function whilst using the headunit in DAB / FM just fine.

Likwise the clock / climate control display is fine.

Issues:

Nearly deafened myself trying to use steering wheel volume controls whilst using Android Auto / VLC (from phone not headunit) so I'll need to work out how to use AA properly and find a decent audio player that works from the head unit directly... It actually locked all controls on the head unit and steering wheel until I disconnected my phone.

The aux in / USB control in the arm rest no longer work but I wasn't expecting them to.

My DAB reception at home is terrible, I'll see what it's like running into work tomorrow but figure I'll have to check the DAB aerial. I don't think I managed to ground it where I've currently got it (top right, ran both the mic and aerial down the A pillar door rubber / beside the airbag. Worth noting that it's fairly easy to knock the DAB aerial connection off of the back of the head unit squeezing it in place (yes, yes I did).

I also haven't been able to get bluetooth streaming to work with the unit whilst not connected via USB (Android Auto), media streaming is disabled on the phone end (OnePlus3T) and even though the headunit is stating "Disconnected" I could make calls. Will require further investigation... Couldn't access phone as a USB device, but again, will need investigating later.

Other:

I routed (via the usb extension that comes with the headunit and one I had kicking around from years ago) a female USB along the centre console and up into the armrest box by tie wrapping the cable to the existing run, there's a grommet near the top (at the front facing the cup holders) I used to gain access.

The cage for the 7017DABS doesn't fit through the Connects Fascia and the head units surround plate is also too big to fit from the front. I played around with a few combinations as I wasn't happy with the look of the one that comes with the kit (lots of space around the unit) and ultimately ended up glue gunning the cage to the fascia kit from behind in combination witrh the black side supports (which are useless) to get a clean, gapless look.

I also had to cut the dash on the bottom left hand side of the unit to get the cage and fascia to fit - on the OEM unit there's a dash support / connector that's missing on the double din fascia to accomodate it, where this would go in the dash was blocking the unit from fitting so I cut it out. I figure it's holding the double din just fine, so if I ever replace the standard unit, it will too!

Where a previous owner had had a handsfree kit, there was already a small hole for the GPS unit wire to fit at the edge of the new fascia and old top piece in front of the clock / dual zone display - so this is where mine's living.

Bonus

I had to intially remove a previously installed Bluetooth streaming device and realised I actually do have the footwell LEDS fitted, but they're so dim as to be irrelevent!

Sound quality over standard is much improved already, without having gotten everything working as yet (I'll need to research / RTFM).
Thanks to stimcity from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th November 2017, 20:28
Supporter

Car: 2010 Type S 1.8 GT
Garage
Nice Job!

Strange that your getting issues with the steering wheel controls locking, don't think Ive ever had that (although sometimes it doesn't respond, think that's more my phone/spotify though). Only ever used spotify with AA so can't really comment on other apps!

Probably should have mentioned this before, but I did manage to retain the USB connection in the arm rest by buying a couple of extra leads from amazon. Couldn't do anything about the aux though (considering the head unit doesn't support aux )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - plugs in underneath the arm rest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - goes between the above adapter and the head unit.

I have noticed that my phone (HTC U11) can be connected via bluetooth and "Media Streaming" is disabled on the phone, though when I select bluetooth on the head unit it enables it after a few seconds. If its still playing up, could try doing a firmware update of the head unit and/or phone - or see if you can enable Media Streaming on the phone manually?

DAB signal isn't fantastic for me either, though I think that's a limitation of those windscreen stick-on aerials to be honest.

Fair shout for making the supplied cage fit, I went out and splashed another £30 quid on a marginally smaller one which doesn't lock the head unit in. Hopefully it won't get nicked!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 13:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Nice one - I may look into that adaptor as will pull it out again at some point as want to make it nicer behind there and change the metal dash clips for plastic ones...

Actually, isn't that the same adaptor that's IN the arm rest to convert the Honda USB to standard?

Last edited by stimcity; 6th November 2017 at 13:48.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 14:07
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimcity View Post
Actually, isn't that the same adaptor that's IN the arm rest to convert the Honda USB to standard?
Indeed it is, works though!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 20:10 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well that could make life tidier! Will consider having another play when I pull it out again then! Was thinking of looking for a spare console to play around with and maybe fit a usb hub in... Thinking of getting one of the Connects2 DAB aerials too...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th November 2017, 12:15
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR-FN2, NHB
Great write up mate! Glad I saw this as I was looking into getting the Kenwood DMX-7017DABS for its apple car play and DAB functionality. Where did you get it from if you donít mind me asking? was eyeing it up on Halfords, but its recently gone up £30
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th November 2017, 18:07 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car Audio Direct in the end @Dmitriysx
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th December 2017, 00:02

Car: 2011 Type S 1.4
Send a message via MSN to borse2010 Send a message via Skype™ to borse2010
Hi Stim

Ok want to do the same as you and ill be using the oneplus 5t.

Where are you based would love to come and see you if your local to Manchester.

Why did you go to Kenwood and not Pioneer?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 20:18
Supporter

Car: 2.2 Silver SI
Nice writeup, I have picked one of these Kenwood DMX 7017dabs from Ebay, used but under £300 posted and on arrival it was swiftly tested on the bike's battery and appears all good.

Other bits have come in like the connects2 kit, reversing camera and an ariel spliter to hopefully use the DAB. I will have a go at fitting it all tomorrow.

Might try ear plugs when I test the Android auto.
Bones126 likes this.

Last edited by Stonesie; 21st January 2018 at 20:22.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 22:06
Headlight Technician

Car: 2010 2.2 Si
I've got the same head unit but I'm having trouble with SWC. I joined to wires it said on the instructions but I'm wondering if I need to plug the jack into the back of the HU.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2018, 20:17
Supporter

Car: 2.2 Silver SI
I got the universal patch lead and connected the brown wire (Key 1) and cut the first 2 loops (Orange and Green) and it worked straight away, unlike the ebay ariel splitter, which is in the bin already.

Still got the rear camera to sort out but that's for tomorrow.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2018, 16:27
Headlight Technician

Car: 2010 2.2 Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesie View Post
I got the universal patch lead and connected the brown wire (Key 1) and cut the first 2 loops (Orange and Green) and it worked straight away, unlike the ebay ariel splitter, which is in the bin already.

Still got the rear camera to sort out but that's for tomorrow.
Just had a play with mine. I did it like yours but both my volume buttons are volume up, even when I set it to volume down.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2018, 19:23

Car: Honda Civic mk9 2012
Thinking of getting this head unit for my 2012 mk9 but have a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer. I have a USB connector in the arm rest already so do I need the adaptor mentioned in post #2?
Also the original factory head unit has DAB so will I need to use the aerial that comes with the Kenwood?
Many Thanks
Dave

Last edited by Disco74; 22nd February 2018 at 19:57.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2018, 13:09
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco74 View Post
I have a USB connector in the arm rest already so do I need the adaptor mentioned in post #2?
The way I did it, you need the same USB connector to connect the port in the arm rest to the head unit, if that makes sense. So the order goes:

Headunit > Male-Male USB > Honda USB Adaptor > Arm Rest Wiring/Port > Honda USB Adaptor > Phone

This was for an 8th gen though, not sure how different it will be for a 9G.

Also, can't comment on the DAB part, as I don't know whats behind there already.

Might be questions better suited to Electronics and ICE (9G) - Civinfo
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th August 2018, 23:01 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Sorry for the very late reply! I've always had better luck with Kenwood and often prefer the more muted looks. I'd done my research at it ticked all my boxes.

Did notice that there's an aux in on the HU the other day, so I'll wire that back up at some point too, daughters happy as she can charge her phone whilst forcing me to listen to her spotify playlists...

Last edited by stimcity; 13th August 2018 at 23:05.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 19:24
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimcity View Post
Did notice that there's an aux in on the HU the other day, so I'll wire that back up at some point too
...there is? I was always under the impression that the DMX7017DABS didn't have an aux-in as such, just USB/Bluetooth. Sure it wasn't a 3.5mm jack for steering wheel controls?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 20:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperienceWins View Post
...there is? I was always under the impression that the DMX7017DABS didn't have an aux-in as such, just USB/Bluetooth. Sure it wasn't a 3.5mm jack for steering wheel controls?

Just checked, it has:

Audio Video Output Yes, Video: RCA / Audio: mini-jack
Audio/Video Input Yes, Mini-jack (Rear)

I'm assuming that the mini jack will accept audio and not just a video signal as there's also inputs for that.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 22:06
Supporter

Garage
Looking through the instructions, Kenwood seem to have labelled that one 'Dashboard Camera Input' - would be interesting to see if it's possible to use that as an aux input as I'd like to get the arm rest aux port going too.

Probably worth testing before trying to wire it into the car - if I get chance to try it this weekend I shall report back
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th August 2018, 18:56

Hi, I have tested out the AV-IN port on the back of the headunit directly with my phone and it functions perfectly as an aux input, so I then traced the wiring from the factory aux connector to the white connector that you remove when you take out the armrest which is right next to the grey USB connector. I have found out that the wires are as follows:

White = Ground
Red = Right Channel
Black = Left Channel

You should be able to plug an aux cable in the AV-IN port and tap into these wires to retain the factory aux. However, is anyone aware of where these wires lead to so I can connect directly to a connector instead of splicing or using a scotch lock? I have tested the connectors behind the headunit including the one that is left out when connecting the connects2 kit without any luck, however the pins are very small, making it difficult to test. Also I was able to retain the factory USB using the method explained above so many thanks.
Thank You to UsernameHere from 2 Users:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page