Other Dash Cam Recommendations? - Civinfo
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 10:25 Thread Starter
 
Edi Liu's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 FN2, B92P NHB
Join Date: 1st August 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 66
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Dash Cam Recommendations?

I've been thinking to install one for a while now, a lot of hit and run cases in London.

Anyone can recommend a few since I have no knowledge on dash cams at all.

Thanks in advance
Edi Liu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 11:10
Super Moderator
 
M8TJT's Avatar
 
Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Join Date: 10th October 2015
Location: Bexhill, Sussex GB
Posts: 3,068
Thanks: 89
Thanked 230 Times in 222 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Which?'s best buy is the Nextbase 612 GW at about 250 if you want 4k footage, followed closely by the Nextbase 312 GW @ about 95. I have the 312 and it's pretty good.
nturnb likes this.
M8TJT is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 11:15
Administrator
 
Farqui's Avatar
 
Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Join Date: 29th April 2014
Location: n.Notts ENGLAND
Posts: 17,853
Thanks: 5,716
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
iTrader: (31)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
If you're going to fit a dashcam then get a 2 channel unit so that you record action both front and rear.

I'm using a Thinkware F770 which works well. It's discrete and small - it doesn't have it's own screen, so you WiFi to it from your phone on the odd occasion that you need to.

If you are looking at this thread thru a browser, then scroll to the bottom to see related threads for you to peruse

Let us know what you choose.
Farqui is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 11:25
Super Moderator
 
M8TJT's Avatar
 
Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Join Date: 10th October 2015
Location: Bexhill, Sussex GB
Posts: 3,068
Thanks: 89
Thanked 230 Times in 222 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Thinkware X150, (not the one Farqui was referring to) is near the top of their 'Don't buy' list.

Which? Thinkware F750 comments.
Impressive features, footage is average55%
Built-in wi-fi, lane departure alerts, speed camera warnings.
No screen, poor low light video quality, fitted with sticky tape.
OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY DAY
3 out of 5
Some pixelation, but largely clear enough to make out details

OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY NIGHT
2 out of 5
Number plates can't be read from more than five metres away

EASE OF USE
3 out of 5
There's no screen so you can't easily tell where it's pointed and double-sided sticky tape means it's hard to reposition
M8TJT is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 11:48
Supporter
 
Stonesie's Avatar
 
Car: 2.2 Silver SI
Join Date: 23rd November 2016
Location: Doncaster UK ENGLAND
Posts: 105
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
For just a basic camera under 100 the Viofo a119 takes some beating.
RA108 likes this.
Stonesie is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 11:53
Supporter
 
Join Date: 9th December 2013
Location: Melton Mowbray GB
Posts: 913
Thanks: 10
Thanked 86 Times in 78 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Mine is 35 from Amazon, tiny, cannot see it installed, good enough to get numberplates in the day.. not so perfect at night... but it depends what you want
cavalrystu is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Edi Liu's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 FN2, B92P NHB
Join Date: 1st August 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 66
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Which?'s best buy is the Nextbase 612 GW at about 250 if you want 4k footage, followed closely by the Nextbase 312 GW @ about 95. I have the 312 and it's pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
If you're going to fit a dashcam then get a 2 channel unit so that you record action both front and rear.

I'm using a Thinkware F770 which works well. It's discrete and small - it doesn't have it's own screen, so you WiFi to it from your phone on the odd occasion that you need to.

If you are looking at this thread thru a browser, then scroll to the bottom to see related threads for you to peruse

Let us know what you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Thinkware X150, (not the one Farqui was referring to) is near the top of their 'Don't buy' list.

Which? Thinkware F750 comments.
Impressive features, footage is average55%
Built-in wi-fi, lane departure alerts, speed camera warnings.
No screen, poor low light video quality, fitted with sticky tape.
OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY DAY
3 out of 5
Some pixelation, but largely clear enough to make out details

OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY NIGHT
2 out of 5
Number plates can't be read from more than five metres away

EASE OF USE
3 out of 5
There's no screen so you can't easily tell where it's pointed and double-sided sticky tape means it's hard to reposition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesie View Post
For just a basic camera under 100 the Viofo a119 takes some beating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalrystu View Post
Mine is 35 from Amazon, tiny, cannot see it installed, good enough to get numberplates in the day.. not so perfect at night... but it depends what you want
Time for some research!
Edi Liu is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:05
Ex-Pat Geordie!
 
nturnb's Avatar
 
Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Join Date: 17th November 2013
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire GB
Posts: 2,190
Thanks: 119
Thanked 223 Times in 204 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Which?'s best buy is the Nextbase 612 GW at about 250 if you want 4k footage, followed closely by the Nextbase 312 GW @ about 95. I have the 312 and it's pretty good.
I've just got the 312GW 119 with Hard Wire Kit and fitted on one of Halfords Web offers. Cracking bit of kit compared to the cheap nasty one I got for 30 off Amazon. Only thing is, had to buy the Mini SD Card seperate for 11 from Tesco.
nturnb is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Edi Liu's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 FN2, B92P NHB
Join Date: 1st August 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 66
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nturnb View Post
I've just got the 312GW 119 with Hard Wire Kit and fitted on one of Halfords Web offers. Cracking bit of kit compared to the cheap nasty one I got for 30 off Amazon. Only thing is, had to buy the Mini SD Card seperate for 11 from Tesco.
Hard wire means it doesn't take up the cigerette lighter? Let me take a look at halfords website
Edi Liu is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:32
Administrator
 
Farqui's Avatar
 
Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Join Date: 29th April 2014
Location: n.Notts ENGLAND
Posts: 17,853
Thanks: 5,716
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
iTrader: (31)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi Liu View Post
Hard wire means it doesn't take up the cigerette lighter? Let me take a look at halfords website
Correct, it makes the installation much neater.

Hooking into the Civic's option connector makes it easy peasy.
Farqui is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:37
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Whilst Which? likes the Nextbase 612, it has a flaw .... it's twice as heavy as the other NB units and is producing shake for most over less than pristine roads. Pendulum effect.

A partial solution for all the recent NB units is to put a tiny ball bearing size blob of BluTak into the ball socket. That firms it up when you tighten the locknut.

I've got a NB 402g and a 412gw. The 412 produces nice crisp images at 1440 but you do need to get the polarising filter to remove dashboard glare.
nturnb likes this.
Kremmen is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Edi Liu's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 FN2, B92P NHB
Join Date: 1st August 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 66
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Correct, it makes the installation much neater.

Hooking into the Civic's option connector makes it easy peasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Whilst Which? likes the Nextbase 612, it has a flaw .... it's twice as heavy as the other NB units and is producing shake for most over less than pristine roads. Pendulum effect.

A partial solution for all the recent NB units is to put a tiny ball bearing size blob of BluTak into the ball socket. That firms it up when you tighten the locknut.

I've got a NB 402g and a 412gw. The 412 produces nice crisp images at 1440 but you do need to get the polarising filter to remove dashboard glare.
Ive leaning towards the NB rear view mirror one, anyone can comment on this?
Edi Liu is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:54
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Check the size.

If it's not wider than the current mirror then it won't see the road. If it's too wide you will snag the sunvisors.

Get a Halfords test fit.
Kremmen is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 00:33
Supporter
 
Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Join Date: 14th May 2010
Location: Yorkshire ENGLAND
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 485
Thanked 306 Times in 271 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesie View Post
For just a basic camera under 100 the Viofo a119 takes some beating.
I have to agree although personally I prefer a camera without GPS speed recording.

A119S V2 is the model to have from the A119 range.

That said, there's an A119 Pro 5mp camera about to be released shortly with an upgraded sensor. Might be worth awaiting some test reviews before buying the A119S.
RA108 is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 06:45
Supporter
 
Stonesie's Avatar
 
Car: 2.2 Silver SI
Join Date: 23rd November 2016
Location: Doncaster UK ENGLAND
Posts: 105
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Anyone looking at the cheaper dash cams needs to look up Techmoan on YouTube, he really tests them in detail and just put up a review of a dual camera kit yesterday.

And the A119 V2 is what I have, it comes with 2 mounts so you can choose GPS or not, the GPS mount makes for a neater install though.

Last edited by Stonesie; 13th January 2018 at 21:07.
Stonesie is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 07:31
Super Moderator
 
M8TJT's Avatar
 
Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Join Date: 10th October 2015
Location: Bexhill, Sussex GB
Posts: 3,068
Thanks: 89
Thanked 230 Times in 222 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA108 View Post
I have to agree although personally I prefer a camera without GPS speed recording.
Then turn it off.
M8TJT is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th January 2018, 14:06
DZH
 
DZH's Avatar
 
Car: 2012 Civic ES 1.8 i-VTEC
Join Date: 28th October 2017
Location: Leicestershire, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 122
Thanks: 21
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
I have a Yi Dash Cam from Amazon which is still currently only 30 delivered. It records in 1080p 60fps (it can record in 1440p, but I don't use this due to the footage size). Overall, it's great for the price.

My main two negative points for the camera are how obvious it is in the window. So if you do leave it in your car it is pretty easy to spot being shiny silver and a chunky rectangle! The other thing is that a couple of the settings need to be controlled via an app. But once you set what you want, it keeps these settings, so I've only used the app once. Can't complain for the money though. Footage is far better than my old Mio 1080p camera.

To be honest, unless you're looking for absolute top top quality footage and snazzy features, then most 1080p Dash Cam's 100 and under should do the job.
DZH is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 15th January 2018, 20:01
Supporter
 
Car: 2012 2.2 I-Dtec
Join Date: 15th June 2015
Location: Worcestershire ENGLAND
Posts: 273
Thanks: 19
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Nextbase 412 for me, works a charm, and the extra rotatable polerised lens filter removes most reflections from the image.
MrLongbeard is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th January 2018, 08:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Edi Liu's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 FN2, B92P NHB
Join Date: 1st August 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 66
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLongbeard View Post
Nextbase 412 for me, works a charm, and the extra rotatable polerised lens filter removes most reflections from the image.
Yeah I watched quite a few YouTube videos on this one too. Seems decent. Thanks.
Edi Liu is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th January 2018, 08:29
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
As I said, if you get the 412 then get the 20 polarising filter at the same time. Makes a huge difference to clarity.

Also, you will need a good 64 or 128Gb SD card to class 10 U3 standard. Minimum write speed needs to be 50Mbps but U3 are 90Mbps so are ideal.

More info here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/412gw.265/
Kremmen is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Cameras Dash cam adamd Electronics (8G) 10 24th July 2017 03:00
Dash Cam Cookie Type-R 9 29th August 2016 20:58
Dash Cam xDalbz Type-R 2 16th April 2016 00:06
Safety Cameras 2.2 dash cam mikesmith181 Electronics (8G) 2 9th November 2015 07:13
Dash Cam nturnb General Discussion (8G) 0 30th December 2014 17:52

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome