Civinfo

Civinfo (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/)
-   Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G) (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice-8g/)
-   -   Head Unit Sony XAV-AX100 6.4” Apple Car Play / Android Auto - FN2 Install (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice-8g/406609-sony-xav-ax100-6-4-apple-car-play-android-auto-fn2-install.html)

darrenjuggins 20th April 2018 21:00

Sony XAV-AX100 6.4” Apple Car Play / Android Auto - FN2 Install

4 Attachment(s)
Thought I’d share my latest install - this Sony Headunit and Connects 2 Kit has replaced my standard unit.

Works great with the steering wheel controls and the connects 2 replacement dash sections fits well (not perfect).

Really pleased with the install and have installed the rear camera and the mic which fits perfectly just behind the plastic trim just in front of the Rev counter.

Purchased for £299 new with the connects 2 install kit adding another £105 approx to the price.

Commander2874 22nd April 2018 03:35

Nice, was it easy to install?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

darrenjuggins 22nd April 2018 08:45

Hi,

Yes not to bad - i planned to spend the morning on it, i'd had the old unit out before to install the Connect 2 unit (now for sale) that fitting in the AUX port, so i'd had the dash to bits before.

Check out You Tube for the Videos of others taking them apart, follow, step by step and your sorted.

would recommending purchasing a trim removal kit and a long flat head screw driver as the panels do fit well and you do need to use some force at times.

once it's all out (the old one that is) it's all plug, plug, plug and it's up and running - check everything works before replacing everything and that's it.

This unit is a double DIN front but single DIN rear, which makes it less cumbersome to fit as you have more space in the dash left, useful for all the extra wires from the Connect 2 Connection kit and the steering wheel control wires.

Final Point - where to place the lead for the Car Play - if you have a large phone, DON'T place it under the little flap on the centre console, the phone won't fit. I've used the armrest and there is a useful grommet that you can cut a hole in to feed in the USB lead, this way you just need to attach your charging cable to it - Lighting or equivalent for your phone.

Even without changing the stock speakers, the sound quality is improved by the amps from the head unit. Well worth the investment, brings the car up to date in terms of ICE.

Cheers
Darren

Commander2874 22nd April 2018 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenjuggins (Post 5308369)
Hi,

Yes not to bad - i planned to spend the morning on it, i'd had the old unit out before to install the Connect 2 unit (now for sale) that fitting in the AUX port, so i'd had the dash to bits before.

Check out You Tube for the Videos of others taking them apart, follow, step by step and your sorted.

would recommending purchasing a trim removal kit and a long flat head screw driver as the panels do fit well and you do need to use some force at times.

once it's all out (the old one that is) it's all plug, plug, plug and it's up and running - check everything works before replacing everything and that's it.

This unit is a double DIN front but single DIN rear, which makes it less cumbersome to fit as you have more space in the dash left, useful for all the extra wires from the Connect 2 Connection kit and the steering wheel control wires.

Final Point - where to place the lead for the Car Play - if you have a large phone, DON'T place it under the little flap on the centre console, the phone won't fit. I've used the armrest and there is a useful grommet that you can cut a hole in to feed in the USB lead, this way you just need to attach your charging cable to it - Lighting or equivalent for your phone.

Even without changing the stock speakers, the sound quality is improved by the amps from the head unit. Well worth the investment, brings the car up to date in terms of ICE.

Cheers
Darren

Thanks mate. Sounds like a great setup. Does the android play work well with the waze app? Will be looking at getting the same head unit. Does the system support flac files?

darrenjuggins 22nd April 2018 09:33

Hi Mate,

I'll hold my hand up and say that i'm an Apple Fanyboy, so can't comment from personal experience.

BUT reading all the reviews - it would seem it works well with Android Auto, which does allow WAZE use - just be aware that when driving in sun, due to the angle of the Dash, it's not easy to see the nav on the screen, but the voice would still come through the speakers. It works well with Apple Maps, so i'm sure it will play nicely with WAZE. As for FLAC yes, as it's a Sony thing I'm pretty sure that is covered - you'd be doing that through either the phone or via a USB Stick.

Check out the videos on You Tube where they have reviewed the unit - there are some quibbles, but no head unit out there is perfect and people all ways want something a little extra or different.

Main reason for getting was :

1. update interface - sick of plugging in a AUX cable and not being able to change track legally.
2. The interface makes it safe, it's much better than most manufacturer units, as they are so confusing and distract you from driving.
3. Real Vol Knob - not a stab on the screen to turn it up and down.
4. Big Clear display with Car Play / Android Auto
5. Phone Control via cable (ok wifi / bluetooth world be better - but I think only one unit is available with that at present).
6. Sound Quality and Access to Music - This is just perfect - Apple Music, Google Music, Spotify, BBC Radio - Etc - It's ideal
7. Bluetooth Phonecall that actually works, plus with Siri you can speak most of what you want and it sorts it out for you, even text dictation.

If you are after playing videos whilst driving or whilst parked - well then it's not for you - video playback is via USB only (not phone or you tube, etc - unless you are jailbroken) this wasn't an issue for me, as if the temptation isn't there I won't do it.

Hope this helps with your selection.

Cheers
Darren

Commander2874 22nd April 2018 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenjuggins (Post 5308457)
Hi Mate,

I'll hold my hand up and say that i'm an Apple Fanyboy, so can't comment from personal experience.

BUT reading all the reviews - it would seem it works well with Android Auto, which does allow WAZE use - just be aware that when driving in sun, due to the angle of the Dash, it's not easy to see the nav on the screen, but the voice would still come through the speakers. It works well with Apple Maps, so i'm sure it will play nicely with WAZE. As for FLAC yes, as it's a Sony thing I'm pretty sure that is covered - you'd be doing that through either the phone or via a USB Stick.

Check out the videos on You Tube where they have reviewed the unit - there are some quibbles, but no head unit out there is perfect and people all ways want something a little extra or different.

Main reason for getting was :

1. update interface - sick of plugging in a AUX cable and not being able to change track legally.
2. The interface makes it safe, it's much better than most manufacturer units, as they are so confusing and distract you from driving.
3. Real Vol Knob - not a stab on the screen to turn it up and down.
4. Big Clear display with Car Play / Android Auto
5. Phone Control via cable (ok wifi / bluetooth world be better - but I think only one unit is available with that at present).
6. Sound Quality and Access to Music - This is just perfect - Apple Music, Google Music, Spotify, BBC Radio - Etc - It's ideal
7. Bluetooth Phonecall that actually works, plus with Siri you can speak most of what you want and it sorts it out for you, even text dictation.

If you are after playing videos whilst driving or whilst parked - well then it's not for you - video playback is via USB only (not phone or you tube, etc - unless you are jailbroken) this wasn't an issue for me, as if the temptation isn't there I won't do it.

Hope this helps with your selection.

Cheers
Darren

Thanks for taking the time out bud. Will keep a look out on ebay for a second hand system. I take it the android charging cable is not included?

darrenjuggins 22nd April 2018 21:12

Hi,

The unit has a Female USB, so you can use any USB Charger that is appropriate for the phone, so I just use a lighting cable, you would use a micro USB cable for your phone (whatever you charge it with).

Yes plenty of units available to choose from, I just like Sony and i've had head units from them in my other car, so i'm used to how they work, but yeah plenty of choice, so enjoy.

Kindest Regards
Darren

andrewpaulb 1st July 2018 10:25

Quote:

Hi,

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your install info. I was wondering to what size of the double din frame have you used as the sony supplied frame is to large to fit the install.

Regards
Andrew Paul

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

darrenjuggins 1st July 2018 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewpaulb (Post 5375812)
Quote:

Hi,

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your install info. I was wondering to what size of the double din frame have you used as the sony supplied frame is to large to fit the install.

Regards
Andrew Paul

Hi Andrew,

The Connect 2 kit had a surround in that fits around the headunit perfectly (it has a rubber seal) so just fits over the top of the unit from the outside.

Check your box if you are using the connect 2 fascia replacement.

Cheers
Darren

andrewpaulb 1st July 2018 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenjuggins (Post 5375824)
Hi Andrew,

The Connect 2 kit had a surround in that fits around the headunit perfectly (it has a rubber seal) so just fits over the top of the unit from the outside.

Check your box if you are using the connect 2 fascia replacement.

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

Didnt have the connects2 surrounding included, just the sony original surrounding which doesnt seem to fit. By any chance can you forward the dimensions maybe I can purchase a universal surrounding separately.

Thanks Again
Andrew

michael.ek.mills 25th February 2019 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewpaulb (Post 5375882)
Hi Darren,

Didnt have the connects2 surrounding included, just the sony original surrounding which doesnt seem to fit. By any chance can you forward the dimensions maybe I can purchase a universal surrounding separately.

Thanks Again
Andrew

I'm in the same boat actually. Purchased this head unit and now not sure what size surround to buy as the one included with the head unit is too big? Do you know which one you went for? I just bought a fascia and connect2 from a guy selling it so not brand new. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

darrenjuggins 25th February 2019 18:15

Hi Guys,

Here is the link to the kit I purchased

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F250939231668

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Darren

andrewpaulb 25th February 2019 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael.ek.mills (Post 5435058)
I'm in the same boat actually. Purchased this head unit and now not sure what size surround to buy as the one included with the head unit is too big? Do you know which one you went for? I just bought a fascia and connect2 from a guy selling it so not brand new. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hey michael didnt get one yet .. :(

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

WillHall89 3rd March 2019 15:28

Hi,

I’ve already installed a double-din unit (JVC KW-M730BT) but unlike yours it’s actually double din at the back too. I can’t seem to get the Connects2 fascia to sit flush, it bulges slightly despite trimming the dash in the bottom left:

http://i63.tinypic.com/j9t4ye.jpg

Before I take it out again to examine why any suggestions as to why?

andrewpaulb 5th March 2019 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillHall89 (Post 5436816)
Hi,

Iíve already installed a double-din unit (JVC KW-M730BT) but unlike yours itís actually double din at the back too. I canít seem to get the Connects2 fascia to sit flush, it bulges slightly despite trimming the dash in the bottom left:

should stay flush.. possible cables are in the way..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

darrenjuggins 5th March 2019 07:51

Hi Will,

The Connect 2 Facia isn't perfect, whilst mine looks fine, it's not perfect, when looking at it in the pictures the left hand side, on the passenger side doesn't sit as flush as the original and is raised slightly, which isn't so obvious on the picture. I've taken elements out the back to try and get it to sit perfectly, but in the end i resided myself to a new piece of plastic which has curves in it fitting in a dash that has moved about for 10 years.

Where is it not sitting right for you ? pictures ?

Kindest Regards
Darren

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillHall89 (Post 5436816)
Hi,

Iíve already installed a double-din unit (JVC KW-M730BT) but unlike yours itís actually double din at the back too. I canít seem to get the Connects2 fascia to sit flush, it bulges slightly despite trimming the dash in the bottom left:

YumaamuY 16th March 2019 23:43

Hi,

I bought a Sony XAV AX3005 together with the Connection Kit for the climate display and the steering wheel controls.

But it doesn't work properly. The display for the climate settings is switching very fast and the steering wheel controls don't work.
Do I need to put in the cables Key1, Key2 and GND?
Also I don't get an antenna signal. I think I need to put the blue cable on the radio?

Can you help me?

Best regards

YumaamuY 17th March 2019 13:13

Hello again,

Radio and DAB works now. But I don't get the right connection between the SWC and the head unit via the Connect2 Multilead.

Best regards

TonyBuon 8th April 2019 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by YumaamuY (Post 5440740)
Hello again,

Radio and DAB works now. But I don't get the right connection between the SWC and the head unit via the Connect2 Multilead.

Best regards

Hi, did you sort this? Have purchased the same one and wondered how you found it and if you found the fix for the climate control etc??

o55ie18 12th April 2019 08:58

Morning all. In January I fitted my double din which is a Kenwood DMX7018DABS. (So same as the 7017 model but shallow, so its fits better).
I bought the whole upgrade kit from Dynamic Sounds, this came with absolutely everything needed to act as a straight swap and still keep the steering controls.

Everything went straight forward until the end when I noticed mine also didn't fit flush. This is simply the dashboard itself on the Civic. I had to take a thin knife and trim away some of the dashboard exo away which then allowed it to pop straight in and fit flush.

The part you cut out can not be seen at all as it is inside the dash.

I am removing mine this weekend as I will be selling the car but I will then sell the Dab unit/ Honda upgrade kit etc separately so I will take pictures of where I have cut and post them to hopefully help make more sense.
I will also take pictures of how it is currently sitting before I remove it, that way you can see it does sit flush all round.

Kind Regards
Jason