EX upgrade parts needed - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Davels

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 01:24 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2007 Galaxy FK2 EX
EX upgrade parts needed

Always been put off due to the complication of losing say nav and AC control but I've had enough.

I have a nice slim line amp adding a little punch and some great SPG-17CS alpine components but the stock HU is frankly pants.

To upgrade an EX I understand I needed a connects 2 kit. And I can buy one with the fascia and steering wheel controls adaptor for about 110? Please correct my if im wrong

I'll also need a standard civic clock screen. I'm going to sound like an idiot but I have a sat have screen and smaller clock AC screen to the right. Is the standard civic SMR39710 screen just wider and replaces both EX Screens?
Or is there a second part I need?

Finally the new HU. Seems silly not to go double din but I have no care for any android screen units. I used to have a Pioneer FH-X720BT and I loved it and can still get hold of one. Great connectivity options the lot. Worry is this has 4x50w output which seems the standard, I'm sure someone said the stock unit was 4x40w which is considered vastly underpowered...
That being said this above unit made a huge improvement to standard speakers in my last car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 10:18

Car: '07 FN2 CTR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davels View Post
I used to have a Pioneer FH-X720BT
Aie, used to have one of these in my fiesta zs, great head unit. the flashing lights got old after a while so dimmed those down but otherwise great, mainly got it for the BT

I am also curious what happens if you change head unit when you've got sat nav, is it possible to keep the nav?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 12:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

The standard HU runs the nav from the glovebox DVD and also puts the AC and clock output to the screens. If the HU comes out the nav no longer works and is why you need a standard screen to get those little non nav bits working right.
No idea what happens to the deal zone climate either. As my current display shows left and right temp

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 12:59 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Seems for a fiver more I can get the 2 year new Pioneer FH-X730BT but can't find any comparisons to see if newer is better. Its a 2016 unit, had no idea the 20BT was over 4 years old but I suppose that must be about right
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th June 2018, 16:29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davels View Post
No idea what happens to the deal zone climate either. As my current display shows left and right temp
The ES had dual zone too so the standard screen also shows two temperatures. (Now have an EX, used to have an ES).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 01:03 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

All done today. Its only two weeks after knee surgery so damn sight harder than it should have been. The standard clocks do Indeed cater for dual zone climate.

All I needed was the connects2 kit which included facia and SWC harness, the standard clocks, and top dash panel. The new head unit has high pass filters for the alpine tweeters and sounds sweet as a but a bit of tweaking needed tomorrow. Sub is now driven from RCA and I have low pass filters to play with now too.

Last edited by Davels; 28th June 2018 at 01:05.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 07:06
Supporter

Car: 2009 1.8 ex gt
So did you have nav previously and swapped the screens over to non nav type

If so how easy a job was it
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 09:01 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcster75 View Post
So did you have nav previously and swapped the screens over to non nav type

If so how easy a job was it
I have an EX so I was running the standard HU and sat nav screen set up yeah. Honestly it maybe took 4 hours but there are a couple things to bare in mind.

I'd say 7/10 for a novice.

You need to remove the central arm rest, central dash, drivers side under dash and Speedo unit to remove everything. Read up on this first.

Finding a home for all the new SWC box and loom was tricky. Fitting it all in took probably the longest time.

I had to remove some meterial from the left hand side for the new HU to fit in. This may depend on HU and isn't as scary as it sounds, just used a file gently and none of this can be seen.

I had to run new cables to the boot but already knew the route.

If I can do it all with not being able to bend one leg properly and having a dead battery I can't see it taking someone much longer if it's their first time
If the below image scares the hell out of you maybe don't do it 😂

wazze and Malcster75 like this.
Thanks to Davels from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page