Technical Kenwood Steering Wheel Controls - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2018, 11:10 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 (57) 1.8i ES
Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me with this!

I've just bought a new Kenwood DMX-7017DABS head unit and got it all connected up and working...except for the steering wheel controls!

I got a CT.MULTILEAD 2 connector, cut the first two jumper wires and connected the key1 wire to the steering wheel remote blue/yellow wire, no joy.

I then plugged in the 3.5mm jack and it kinda works...but volume up/down only do volume up and track up/down only do track up. (Although it lets you bind the different buttons to do different functions and recognises them as different on the binding screen?)

The instructions say to connect the key1 wire, not the jack, but that doesn't allow anything to work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kev24uk; 22nd July 2018 at 11:24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 03:50

Hi, I have the same setup and encountered the same issue as the key1 and blue/yellow wire didn't establish a sufficient connection after crimping. I opened the butt connector on key1, then folded the blue/yellow wire over so it was twice as thick, checked that wire was positioned correctly, ensuring metal to metal contact and crimped it again with plenty of force which was successful and they worked immediately without setup. Just to confirm you did cut the orange and green wires? Also, have you tested the date and time with the steering wheel controls?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 07:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I actually took the bullet connector off the key1 wire and twisted the blue/yellow one + key 1 together, still doesn’t recognise it.

I did cut the orange and green wires yes, leaving the purple one in tact.

The clock does change if I hold down mode yes and all the keys worked great with my previous android double din which used both key1 and key2 wires.

I’m a bit stumped!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 14:14

It seems as though you have done everything correctly and it should work, the fact that the clock works should isolate the issue to this connection. Considering that these wires are fragile, perhaps the previous crimp damaged the exposed wire, so you could trim and strip both wires to expose fresh wire and try a choc bloc connector which will allow you to adjust the connection as a twist probably isn't adequate in this case. You could also try reseating all of the connectors. Also have you taped up the exposed orange and green wires and can you test it with your old head unit?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 15:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I had been putting up with up and down for volume and channel doing the same thing until today, when I had to take the battery out in order to change a headlight bulb.

When i'd done this, the steering wheel controls stopped working entirely.

I spent some time trying to figure it out and eventually went back to the original installation guide... (http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/...G_en-GB_v1.pdf)

Here it has a specific order in which you should plug things in. I followed this and now it is working perfectly, even without setting up the steering wheel controls in the settings of the head unit.

Hope this helps someone if they have a similar problem!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 09:50

Car: TYPE S 1.8 HER.NAVI. RED
Does anyone knows where to buy the steering wheel interface for Kenwood DMX7018-BTS but for a Civic 08 navi version, everywhere I look there is only the version for the non-navi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 10:20
Such a newbie

There is no such thing as an equivalent Connects2 for the navi display - your only options are to replace with a non-navi display (which, I think, involves replacing the dash top as well) or wait to see if ioannis (from the other thread you posted this question in) comes up with a solution.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page