• 1 Post By ioannis
  • 1 Post By Johnsy
  • 1 Post By Kremmen
  • 1 Post By ioannis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th July 2018, 20:52 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to ioannis
Navigation screen and RGB Interface

I just tested part of the infotainment system I will be installing on my Civic. It consists of a Honda navigation display driven by a universal RGB interface by Car Solutions, a Pioneer ND-BC20PA reverse camera and a 2DIN Android Auto head unit. I am still researching on the choice of the head unit - it will probably be a Sony XAV-AX200 or a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB. The nice thing about the RGB interface is that it drives the Honda display very well and allows the connection of 2 more composite inputs, so the plan is to link the head unit output to it. Once I have everything, I will do the installation and post more photos.

Last edited by ioannis; 30th July 2018 at 15:24.
Thanks to ioannis from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 06:00
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,428 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Interesting project.

Shame you didn't/couldn't embed the photos
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 10:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Interesting project.

Shame you didn't/couldn't embed the photos
I haven't used the forum for quite some time and I have totally forgotten how to embed photos. Any help would be appreciated. My Civic did not have the factory navigation system and I always wanted to install the large screen and a 2DIN unit. I have found a LHD navi display from Sweden a few years back and recently purchased the RGB interface. Last night I tested it and it works great. The interface has an RGB output that can drive the Honda navi display directly. It has 3 RCA inputs (one for the reverse view camera, activated with a wire linked to the reverse lights) and a button to switch from one input to another. As the Honda display is NTSC, inputs also have to be NTSC. The interface also has an RGB input so that you can still have the display connected to whatever factory source you have in your car - mine didn't have one so this input is not used.
I will prepare a wiring diagram and post it here (once I know how to embed photos... ).

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 10:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Last edited by ioannis; 30th July 2018 at 15:18.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 13:22
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Use a site like Imgur and use their forum link facility.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 15:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Use a site like Imgur and use their forum link facility.
Thanks for the tip. I managed to embed the photos to the original post.
Kremmen likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 15:49

Iv just acquired the oem sat nav,screen,dvd,glove box. But need to go back to extract the wiring harness.

Never thought about using the screen and double din unit, sounds good look forward to the progress
ioannis likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 15:49
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Triumph 2.5 pi ?
ioannis likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 17:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Triumph 2.5 pi ?
Triumph 2000TC with upgrades... It was my regular drive before I purchased the Civic in 2007. I still have it of course but with historic plates and license.
Kremmen likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2018, 17:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsy View Post
Iv just acquired the oem sat nav,screen,dvd,glove box. But need to go back to extract the wiring harness.

Never thought about using the screen and double din unit, sounds good look forward to the progress
Good luck with your installation. Unfortunately the OEM system did not have maps for Greece so I have to use an aftermarket unit.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th August 2018, 13:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I tried to install the display today. After spending so much time and money on finding a way to drive the RGB display, I hit an unexpected problem. The audio/AC sub-display of the Nav screen "speaks" a different language to the non-Nav one. To speak with part numbers, it seems that 39711-SMR and 39710-SMR don't have compatible signals even though they share exactly the same connector and pinout. It must be either the non-Nav audio unit sending different information as the display is connected to it. Everything works when I connect the Nav subdisplay (39711-SMR) to the connector (AC and audio) but the screen is not readable. The screen doesn't display anything when the audio unit and AC are off - should display something as the clock should be on when you turn the ignition key. Any ideas or past experiences are mostly welcome.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th August 2018, 20:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

These photos are from the PCB of the satnav subdisplay (square one) and the non-satnav subdisplay (long one). The chip is the same in both cases but the LCDs have different number of pins and different mapping. So it must be the audio unit sending different signals in the two cases. The non-satnav audio unit sends data that the satnav subdisplay cannot display properly. I wonder if replacing the audio unit with one from a satnav system would do the job. Then of course the question is whether the audio unit from a satnav system can work without the DVD drive. Has anyone ever tried to use the satnav audio unit WITHOUT the DVD drive unit that goes in the glovebox?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th August 2018, 21:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

These are some diagrams from the workshop manual related to the audio unit and sub-display. Small differences in the wiring of the audio unit - no differences in the wiring of the sub-display between with or without navigation. But what is not shown in the diagram is that the two audio units send different signals to the sub-display. So my guess is that only the navigation audio unit can properly drive the small sub-display that comes with the navigation display and only the non-navigation audio unit or the connects2 harness can drive the non-navigation display. The navigation unit itself doesn't seem to get involved directly with the data sent to the sub-display, even though it has direct communication with the climate control unit.

Last edited by ioannis; 9th August 2018 at 22:14.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th January 2019, 21:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It took me a whole day, but I managed to map the pins of the nav sub-display. A total of 4 X 60 = 240 combinations of pins activating a different segment of the display. Now I need to do the same to the non-nav sub-display and see if I can rewire the nav one according to the non-nav. If I am lucky, it will be possible and then I will be able to connect the nav sub-display to the connects2 harness.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th January 2019, 22:42

Hi guys. I am from Witney Uk. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find somebody to professionally install a 2 DIN with navigation and rear camera on my Honda civic?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 09:38

Car: TYPE S 1.8 HER.NAVI. RED
Hello. I have a Type S with OEM navi system.... A few moths ago it went wrong and it didnīt works properly, after 1 hour of work it becames "silly" getting so much hot and turning on and off suddenly, I decided to remove all, I donīt know if there is a chance to fix it.

So, I have installed a brand new kenwood dmx7018bts, I have removed the dvd unit, I have removed the hole radio cd console and installed the kenwood with plug and play connectors. But there is a problem I am not able to find a properly plug and play for the clock and climate display that it comes with the steering controls interface. Everywhere I try to find, there is only avalaible for the non navi civics. Mu gps display and clock/climate displays, both are out of service completely off...

Do anyone knows where to buy an interface for the civic navi version? I think I will solve the problem with the clock display.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 12:36
Supporter

Car: 58 2.2 CR-V for now
you need the connects2 kit i believe, ebay is your friend.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page