Radio Did anyone ever find a solution to radio interference? - Civinfo
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kremmen
  • 1 Post By petethesparky

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th October 2018, 14:12 Thread Starter

Car: 2010 Civic 1.8 SE
Unhappy Did anyone ever find a solution to radio interference?

I'm loving my "new" Civic (2010 1.8 SE) but the FM radio is the worst I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of driving.

The CD player is great, I love the MP3 functionailty and the FM radio is great - UNTIL I turn the rear demister or blower on. The interference is ridiculous! As soon as I turn the demister/fan off then the reception is fine again. RDS works as it should, but the whole thing is useless if any fans are running or the demister is in use. Of course this means it's impossible to have the AC and the radio on at the same time.

I've removed the rear hatch trim to check the antenna wiring and earth - everything is fine - although there is an unused lug in there which seems to be for some function my car doesn't have. I notice that Honda don't use stock coax for the radio, but wire to a signal booster/filter using a bespoke connector.

I've looked at all the Wiki's, searched many threads (and there are so many!) but I couldn't find a definitive solution.

Has this issue been buried now, or have people given up trying? Or was there a solution found that I've missed in my two days of searching?

It's a shame that such a great driving experience (I've come from an '04 Meriva) is spoiled by something as ludicrous as the lack of an FM radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:55
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Must admit ive noticed over the last few weeks my radio reception has become pretty poor.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 05:19
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
That is often due to a bad aerial earth in the tailgate.
Bones126 and Das like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 16:49
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Yea was going to do it today, but rain and other things got in the way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 23:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2010 Civic 1.8 SE
I'm guessing there is a dodgy connection somewhere, because since writing the original post, my reception is absolutely fine no matter what fans/demister I have turned on, and I haven't done a thing to it!

I'm just waiting for it to go on the blink again, but for now it's working as it should. Crazy!
Bones126 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th May 2019, 08:03

Same on mine sometimes reception is ok other times abysmal, is the aerial earth behind the tailgate centre trim where the lock is?
Thanks

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Tags
demister , ice , interference , radio , reception

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page