Upgrades Wanting to upgrade sound system totally lost - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Type 666

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2018, 22:11 Thread Starter

Car: 2008 Civic FN1 1.8 Type S GT
Wanting to upgrade sound system totally lost

So I got my civic 2 weeks ago, I want to upgrade the sound system but I'm totally lost in the technicalities of everything, doesn't help my brain likes to know the ins and outs of things and I end up over thinking just about everything. I'm looking at a branded double din to start off then I want to uprate the tweeters, the door and rear speakers and add an underseat subwoofer.

Any advice anyone can give me any advice or links to where I can try to learn the technicalities of everything that would be awesome. Otherwise here are some questions I have.

I'm currently wondering what kind of amp do I need, I am wondering if the double din will be enough to power the two tweeters once upgraded and if I can then use a 5 channel amp to power the door and rear speakers and an underseat subwoofer. Will the 50watts from the double din be enough for the tweeters or can I somehow put two of each 50w channels from the din into each of the tweeters or am I being ridiculous (total noob here)

Will I need to run new speaker wires to all of the speakers? Is an underseat subwoofer the way to go? What size speakers do I need and is there any particular types I need to look out for/learn about and/or where can I find out what I need. What does 2ohm and 4ohm mean? Do I need some sort of equalizer to control the wattage going to each speaker so I don't blow anything? What is a crossover? What is gain? How do I wire in a switch to control bass?

Basically I'm pretty lost the amp I am looking at is an JBL-7535, that's as far as I have shopped for yet, apart from double din which I imagine any pioneer/kenwood/alpine will be good, will be looking for one with a reverse camera plugin.

Hope I'm not asking too much, any advice would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 5th November 2018, 17:55

Car: 2008 Type S GT 2.2
I think you'd be impressed with the stock speakers when hooked up to a decent double din, I couldn't believe how much better they sounded.
ExperienceWins likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th December 2018, 11:57
Supporter

I had a basic CD player in my ex when I got it sound wasn't great (I listen to rock and metal) sounded rough . I took CD player out and put a punpkin double din in and the sound changed straight away sounds a load better without stock radio.

I'm looking at changing speakers anyway for some better bass due to type of music.
but I recommend waiting until you have the head unit in before thinking about speakers , you will be surprised

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 7th December 2018, 23:55

Car: 2010 Civic Si
Garage
I agree here, once I installed the kenwood unit a few weeks ago the speakers came alive although they are lacking in some bass.

What I am thinking about doing is using a spare wheel sub such as the Nakamichi NBF150 (Can't post links yet ) in the spare wheel to add some bass and use a high pass filter on the door speakers through the headunit to limit distortion, I just need to measure the spare wheel to see if this will somewhat fit inside it

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page