• 1 Post By Fergiem123
  • 1 Post By Rojer
  • 1 Post By Danith
  • 1 Post By Fergiem123
  • 1 Post By Daz6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th February 2019, 21:28 Thread Starter

Double Din Head Units!

Thereís a plethora of double din head units available. Trying to pick one is a bit of a minefield.

What have you got? Would you recommend it? Good, bad points?

All feedback welcome.

Looks like Pioneer is the unit of choice for most. Iíve always been a fan of Alpine kit but the touch screen response of the ixl-702 looks terrible from what I can see from review vids etc.
Trev27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 09:29
Supporter

Iíve got Pioneer SPH-DA??
The one that looks like a tablet, I really like it and apple car play is great.
Sick of cleaning the screen to remove fingerprints tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Al_G likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 12:27
Supporter

Garage
Haha my man Al_G from other forums You know you should get the Pioneer one we all have lol. TBH i haven't done much research lately, but im sure there are probably newer or better versions about these days.
Danith likes this.
Thanks to Rojer from:

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 13:26
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 Type S GT, Silver
Hi mate, just before Christmas I purchased the Kenwood DMX-7018DABS from Dynamic Sounds.
It was a full upgrade kit for the civic mk8, keeping steering wheel controls as well.

Brilliant unit in my opinion, I swung to this one due to it having apple car play and it's been great. Can't fault it at all
Thanks to o55ie18 from:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 13:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojer View Post
Haha my man Al_G from other forums You know you should get the Pioneer one we all have lol. TBH i haven't done much research lately, but im sure there are probably newer or better versions about these days.

LOL I spotted you the other day! We both seem to be getting about a bit.

Let me know what you make of the Pioneer glare. Iím guessing theyíll all suffer from this though and not inherent to the da230dab.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 13:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by o55ie18 View Post
Hi mate, just before Christmas I purchased the Kenwood DMX-7018DABS from Dynamic Sounds.
It was a full upgrade kit for the civic mk8, keeping steering wheel controls as well.

Brilliant unit in my opinion, I swung to this one due to it having apple car play and it's been great. Can't fault it at all

Iíll check out the kenwood, always been a fan of their kit.

Anything negative to say about the unit? Touch screen responsiveness any good?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_G View Post
There’s a plethora of double din head units available. Trying to pick one is a bit of a minefield.

What have you ygot? Would you recommend it? Good, bad points?

All feedback welcome.

Looks like Pioneer is the unit of choice for most. I’ve always been a fan of Alpine kit but the touch screen response of the ixl-702 looks terrible from what I can see from review vids etc.
I have a xtrons tdc618 android head unit love it very easy to use and looks good
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 20:22
K20 addict

Car: 2010 Fn2 & 2003 Ep3
Oh hai @Rojer and @Al_G
Rojer likes this.
Thanks to Danith from:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 14:42
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 Type S GT, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_G View Post
Iíll check out the kenwood, always been a fan of their kit.

Anything negative to say about the unit? Touch screen responsiveness any good?

Not as of yet mate, the touchscreen has been responsive, steering controls work fine, the kit which I ordered was complete etc so all good.
I have only had the unit installed approx 8 weeks so cannot comment on durability etc but cant see it being a problem, it would go back if it failed at any point. I have still got the screen protector on (as it's not really noticeable) so finger marks aren't really a problem but I can imagine its a pain to keep clean if not
Thanks to o55ie18 from:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 18:42

Wiring help!

Hi!

I'm a first time Civic owner, having purchased a 2008 Civic ES 1.8i on the weekend. My first job is to fit my existing JVC KW-M730BT double din head unit. I purchase the Connects2 CTKHD01 installation kit and have begun wiring it up, however I need some assistance in regards to:

1) FM Wiring amp
Image link: http://i66.tinypic.com/33ju88o.jpg
I think I just need to connect the CTSH002 'Amp remote' cable to the 'CT7AA36' amp power connector? However according to my head units manual (Page 61) the blue/white P.control cable from the head unit is to 'Connect either to the power control terminal when using the optional power amplifier, or to the power terminal for the booster amplifier of the film-type or short pole type antenna.'

Sounds like I could connect the 'CT27AA36' blue cable directly to the p.control one?

2) Is it possible to connect the parking sensor wire? I think this was needed to set-up Android Auto as it insisted the vehicle was stationary to start set up!

Thanks for any help, I'll be sure to post pics once the install is done .

Last edited by WillHall89; 14th February 2019 at 19:16.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th February 2019, 09:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by o55ie18 View Post
Not as of yet mate, the touchscreen has been responsive, steering controls work fine, the kit which I ordered was complete etc so all good.
I have only had the unit installed approx 8 weeks so cannot comment on durability etc but cant see it being a problem, it would go back if it failed at any point. I have still got the screen protector on (as it's not really noticeable) so finger marks aren't really a problem but I can imagine its a pain to keep clean if not

Sounds really good. Do you know which kit you had to buy to retain the steering controls? Connect2?

Iím guessing your heater display still works and youíre just displaying the date like most others?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th February 2019, 10:18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillHall89 View Post

2) Is it possible to connect the parking sensor wire? I think this was needed to set-up Android Auto as it insisted the vehicle was stationary to start set.

The wire which is meant to connect to the parking brake lets the HU know you are on the move and disables features which are unsafe when driving.
Instead of connecting to the handbrake just earth it on to something metal behind the stereo or bridge it into the earth wire on the wiring loom. Stereo thinks car is stationary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trev27 likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 14:18

With the installation being so 'messy', how tricky would it be to bring it back to stock? Mostly thinking about resale
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 22:21

Garage
aghh......I had a 2003 CRV for 9 years, while I had the Pioneer ipod touchscreen installed by Huets in Brighton when I sold it very easily removed it and put the original back in....

I had hoped to reuse it in the Civic....... silly me not doing enough research....

now it looks like despite being a much more modern car it's going to be so bloody difficult to do this,

from what I've been reading, and so very grateful to all the info here from folk if I want to keep the clock and aircon display I'm actually going to have to keep the original and tuck into glove box or further back in dash....

by the time bought a connects and double din fascia that's a fair bit of cash and faffing about .... shame the sort of installs I've seen here look great, the clock itself has had the meltdown and is not working properly so bit of a dilemma

I'm thinking of just using the behind OEM aux connect instead, need to work out charging for it but for now, as this was a real cheapy I may not keep it that long, def replace with another 8G though I love car itself.....

a real pain but this looks like cheapest option but still have to take half the interior out to do it....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 06:45

Car: 2007 alabaster civic type r
Sounds like I could connect the 'CT27AA36' blue cable directly to the p.control one?

Yes the p.control cable connects to the blue wire on this adapter.

As Fergiem123 has said the parking sensor wire can go straight to earth to allow other features to work, according to manuals it's supposed to be wired to the handbrake switch. I had to extend the cable on mine and earthed it on a screw by the gear stick.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th February 2019, 09:01

So the install went well, all the functions work however the fascia doesn’t seem to sit properly in the dash:

Is this normal? I’ve taken it out once and can’t see any reason for it apart from the actual fascia being slightly out of shape!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th February 2019, 10:37

Car: 2007 alabaster civic type r
I couldn't get mine to sit correctly to start with, found the stereo was pressing against the cut out on the left hand side. I had to trim some of it away, the fascia sat flush afterwards. There was around 2cm I had to cut out on the left side towards the bottom, it was pushing the fascia up and out on the left.
Trev27 likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th February 2019, 15:29
Supporter

Car: 2010 Civic Si 2.2
Garage
PIoneer AVH-X490DAB, compatible with IOS so for sat nav i use Navi and waze
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th February 2019, 15:31
Supporter

Car: 2010 Civic Si 2.2
Garage

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page