Head Unit Compatible head units for 2008 Type S - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th September 2019, 15:56 Thread Starter

Compatible head units for 2008 Type S

Hi experts,

I'm planning on finally retrofitting a double DIN unit in my good old 3-door.

I've been reading up a lot about compatibility and the apparently limited options fitting into the fascia. I'm after a unit which is the most compatible with my Samsung A50. I've read that certain models of some major brands like JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer etc are not always very accommodating to Android phones. To make matters worse each Android phone seems to have slightly different versions of Android which are also not necessarily compatible with each other.

I'm done with iphone since I had some massive hardware problems in the recent past. I will stick with Samsung and would really appreciate avoiding headaches because of incompatibility in the car.

I was wondering if those dedicated Android head units can be used in my car. I've read somewhere that the "reasonably priced" Chinese no-name units don't fit as they are allegedly sized differently. Ironically the Android units I found are all Chinese.

I'm not asking for much although touchscreen is a must and then just the bread and butter bluetooth music playback, hands-free calling and at least audio for my Google maps sat nav. Having the phone display cloned, DAB, CD/DVD and front USB would be a great plus, at least one of those.

I would really appreciate if you guys could share your experience with your 2-DIN unit together with a Samsung phone. I'm not expecting a sales pitch, rather a realistic assessment of the options there really are for the European Mk8 and a brutally honest recommendation which won't break the bank.

Cheers
PS - I'm ready to dish out up to £400 including fascia and adapters.

Last edited by CivilianTypeS; 13th September 2019 at 16:02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 11:18

Car: '07 FN2 CTR
Garage
Well i'm no expert in this area, it sounds like you know a little more than me to be honest with you. I just wanted to point out one thing?

Perhaps getting an android double din stereo would be best? these are already android so I can't understand why the bluetooth would have any trouble and they are quite feature rich and with a £400 budget you should be able to easily avoid the cheap nasty ones.

I've had a few pioneer double dins (not android) and they never had an issue pairing with my samsung phone via bluetooth?

Best of luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 13:05
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
I have paired a non-smart Samsung phone with 2 pioneer units in the last few years with no problem.
So would have thought a more modern phone should have no issues.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2019, 08:51

can i put any radio with bluetooth like sony, kenwood or jvc or cheap android head? saw fascia adapter on ebay.
is it difficult to install?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2019, 10:34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine5pl View Post
can i put any radio with bluetooth like sony, kenwood or jvc or cheap android head? saw fascia adapter on ebay.

is it difficult to install?
I've done other cars needing a fascia swap it's never too difficult honestly, if you go on YouTube or google it I'm sure someone will have a how to. 90% of head units should fit but be wary if they look particularly deep. Best bet is get the fascia first and see what room you've got.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottz View Post
I've done other cars needing a fascia swap it's never too difficult honestly, if you go on YouTube or google it I'm sure someone will have a how to. 90% of head units should fit but be wary if they look particularly deep. Best bet is get the fascia first and see what room you've got.
cool thanks. and will display for aircon will still work?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 11:14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine5pl View Post
cool thanks. and will display for aircon will still work?
Afaik yes, I think if you have the satnav model you will have to swap the upper display with one from a none satnav to see correct information from your aircon etc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 25th September 2019, 11:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I appreciate the discussion.
@wolverine
I was told to stay away from cheap Chinese Android heads as their footprint is allegedly not exactly 2-DIN which would not even fit through the fascia. But don't take my word for it as it came from a dealer who only sells major brands for major £££.

Just an update. I ordered the JVC KW-V255DBT here in CH for a reasonable price, about 200 quid. I should have it in 10 days. Will keep you posted how it goes, installation, smartphone integration, steering wheel control etc.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 25th September 2019, 11:55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilianTypeS View Post
I Will keep you posted how it goes, installation, smartphone integration, steering wheel control etc.
You may find extra wiring adapters etc will be required to allow steering wheel controls etc, halfrauds is usually an 'okay' place to aquire these leads.
Best of luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 1st October 2019, 14:12

Fitted a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB recently, works perfectly with the wife Samsung Galaxy S8

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in