Speakers New speakers - tweeter question - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 10:56 Thread Starter

New speakers - tweeter question

Im planning to upgrade my speakers to some infinity's at some point but my SE doesn't come with tweeters. Just 2 front and 2 rear. My question is - does the head unit support tweeters on all models? Is it just a case of me getting at it and running some cable through, then getting myself the housings off eBay or something to fit em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st March 2011, 00:00
Strong in me The Force is

Car: 2.2 NHB & 1.8 DBP TypeS
You can connect a speaker set with extra tweeters (so called 2way composite set) on any HU. You just have to put the tweeters somewhere. Most of the time you can just glue or fix them on the original plastic thingies where the tweeters normally go.
Then there's also the filter that you need to put somewhere in the door, but there's several examples in the ICE section on how to do that.
So no worries, they will fork fine!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st March 2011, 12:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the advice mate - much appreciated.

So they just glue onto the plastic panel then? Easy enough. Would the filter you mention come with the speakers then?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2011, 09:49
Strong in me The Force is

Car: 2.2 NHB & 1.8 DBP TypeS
Yep, any decent tweeter can be glued on, or even bolted on. Mostly they come with a little screw, but that requires you to drill a hole in that panel of course. Sometimes ther's also sticky pads to glue them on in the box.
Filters do come with the speakers indeed. Check out the ICE section of the forum, there are several threads on how to replace your standard speakers.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th March 2011, 16:57

Car: 2007 Civic 1.4 SE
Doing this myself EZ. Mines an SE too without the tweeters as standard. On othe models the tweeter is located on the plastic triangle on the inside of the door covering the wing mirror fixings etc. You can buy these direct from a Honda dealer and they replace your current ones. Think they were about 15 from memory.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 4th April 2011, 15:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nice one for the input bishop. Yeah I noticed this myself.

Would you say that I should go for a composite set with separate tweeters or should I just go with 2 speakers?? Would you say there is a major difference in the sound quality?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 4th April 2011, 16:01
Big T

Car: 09 CTR GT Nighthawk black
i have infinity tweeters and front speakers they sound great mate......you could always get the trims for the tweeters off a type r or s, lots being broken around.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 4th April 2011, 22:12
Supporter

Car: 06 CTS GT Deep Bronze Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
i have infinity tweeters and front speakers they sound great mate......you could always get the trims for the tweeters off a type r or s, lots being broken around.
Griif, do you have the model No of your Inifinty tweeters and speakers? Really fancy upgrading my CTS-GT sound system.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 5th April 2011, 13:12

Car: 2007 Civic 1.4 SE
EZ Well its personal pref but i would always go for the separate tweeters. I am going for the infinity's myself
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 08:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks again bishop & griffin.

Griffin - I too would like to know what you have installed. Also do you have a separate amp?

It's tough to make a decision without hearing them first I agree. Any one know of any dealers or shops in the north west where I can have a listen to a few sets??

The reason I mention the amp is I just thought if I'm installing speakers why not throw an amp in there while I'm at it! I'm not after boy racer ridiculous bass rattling the speakers so doubt I would be filling my boot with sub enclosures! I do however want a good depth of sound with a bit of a kick and clarity. Would I get this with a straight speaker swap or would an amp be a must?

Cheers again everyone for your input.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 13:23
eas

Car: 2008 Type S Black
I've just finished doing a front speaker swap in my fn1. I used the infinity kappa 65.9cs. This would my 4th/5th car that I've done this type of thing to and to be honest I find it a huge but necessary pain. The speaker swap alone will improve things, but IMO it's marginal compared to adding some type of amplification.

Basically, you can invest in a new head unit which would have two benefits. Generally stock head units are pretty *****, and it goes without saying the Honda one falls into this category. With a good head unit you'll automatically get better sound from higher end hardware, but also from the amplification that new unit uses to power your speakers. 50wx4 (max) seems pretty standard, and for most people this would be enough to put a smile on your face. It should be noted that this 50wx4 is almost always a maximum rating, and head unit power is more likely to be limited to around 15-20w RMS

The other option, as you mentioned is to get a separate amplifier. A half decent amplifier will bury a head unit for sound quality and IMO the only way to really hear what your speakers have to offer. Even a good quality 50x4 RMS amplifier makes a significant difference. The only problem is that installing an amp is another huge pain.

I'm actually going down to get a new head unit and install my amp to get the benefits (and headaches) of both.

Last edited by eas; 7th April 2011 at 13:57.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 17:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

God it sounds like a nightmare! I thought a separate amp could just be connected to the head unit and take over all the work it should be doing. I know about hifi set ups but nothing at all about car radio's as you can tell!

I've heard replacing the head unit is a major pain and don't wanna do this if I don't have to. But, if after changing speakers AND installing an amp I don't hear a major difference in sound quality I won't be happy so I'm glad you've told me this before I started buying the kit!

So how much is your set up gonna set you back then? You doing it yourself or are you gonna get a shop to sort you out??
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 19:02
eas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rolla View Post
God it sounds like a nightmare! I thought a separate amp could just be connected to the head unit and take over all the work it should be doing. I know about hifi set ups but nothing at all about car radio's as you can tell!
well, very basically that's what it does. Reality is you need to find space for the amp, get power to the amp, ground the amp, get signal to amp, get signal back to speakers. Someone could correct me on this, but as far as I know, installing an amp and installing a head unit would both require tearing down a good amount of the center console & dash to get to the back of the head unit.

Quote:

I've heard replacing the head unit is a major pain and don't wanna do this if I don't have to. But, if after changing speakers AND installing an amp I don't hear a major difference in sound quality I won't be happy so I'm glad you've told me this before I started buying the kit!
Definitely do more research before you buy any kit, particularly when it comes to amps. Don't be misled by some of the cheaper amps power ratings. You're better off getting something with less watts but better quality power, than something with big watt ratings and poor quality power.

Like I mentioned above, 50 watts RMS from a quality amp would make most mid range speakers sing.

Quote:

So how much is your set up gonna set you back then? You doing it yourself or are you gonna get a shop to sort you out??
\My whole system is going to include a new pioner double din head unit, a double din kit from impulse, infinity kappas all around a Phoenix Gold Octane 4*75 watt and a self powered 8 inch pioneer sub for a bit of low end fill - all together maybe €1500 worth. I will unfortunately be putting it all in myself & I'm not looking forward to it.

Just to add, I'm not an expert..just have had a little experience with this sort of thing over the years..

Last edited by eas; 7th April 2011 at 20:56.
Thanks to eas from:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 21:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all your info there mate you have helped me out a lot. Perhaps a little naive on my part about the amp!

I think judging by what you have said I would definitely be needing an amp to make me happy. If the head unit is really that crappy then the money on decent speakers is wasted really isn't it.

Hmmmmm.... Looks like I'll be doing a lot of research over the weekend.

Thanks again mate - your experienced view is much appreciated.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 23:11
eas

Quote:
Thanks for all your info there mate you have helped me out a lot. Perhaps a little naive on my part about the amp!

I think judging by what you have said I would definitely be needing an amp to make me happy. If the head unit is really that crappy then the money on decent speakers is wasted really isn't it.

Hmmmmm.... Looks like I'll be doing a lot of research over the weekend.

Thanks again mate - your experienced view is much appreciated.
Sorry, don't get me wrong...installing the amp isn't technically hard, it's just time consuming and can be fiddly laying all the lines. If there was someone around here I could trust to do a decent job at a decent price I'd hand it over in a flash!

Anyhow, not knowing anything of your budget, I just had a snoop and found what amp I'd buy if I was looking for something under 200....

SPL Dynamics ICE-150.4 - Amplifier

Last edited by eas; 7th April 2011 at 23:14.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th April 2011, 23:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cheers - my budget would have been roughly about 3-400 for the lot really so you're not far off the mark. If I wanted a punchy but clear sound using this amp what speakers would you recommend pairing it with? I know it's all about personal preference with sound quality but are there any decent sets I should look in to?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th April 2011, 20:51
eas

I'm sure there are dozens that would do. I can say I'm quite happy with the Infinity Kappa's I got & would recommend them over the reference series. I've never compared high end components to mid level stuff, so honestly not sure what you get for shelling out big bucks on speakers.

You may also want to consider a 5 channel amp just in case you wanted to add a small sub in the future.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page