AUX in Ipod Grief - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th August 2006, 02:15 Thread Starter

Ipod Grief

Hello all !
Finally got my Blueish Silver EX CDTI the week before last (ordered Cosmic Grey but was told after a month that the colour had been discontinued, so plumped for Blueish Silver as they could deliver within a few weeks). Been round the Lakes for a week so it's had a decent run-in now and the Sat Nav has proved invaluable. Really like the colour as well.
However, I traded in a Saab 9-3 that has an Aux input, so I've become used to having all my fave songs along with me on my Ipod.
After Pottsy's success with a hard-wired solution, I ordered the Connects2 aux input thingy, and asked my dealer (Pennine Honda, Ashton-U-L) to fit it when my car arrived (having given them the part number for the loom). When the great day came, the dealer says that they have contacted Honda and have been advised that this will "blow" the stereo (or some such phrase), and so they dare not fit it. I don't know much/anything about car stereos, but I'm a little surprised that adding an additional input would "blow" anything.

So....I've got this Connects2 aux input converter, but my dealer won't fit it. Any suggestions ? Any dealers that have performed this install (presumably you know one Pottsy) ? I really don't
want to go down the FM transmitter route if i can help it, though i'm so desperate for a bit of musical variety in the car that i might succumb. I'm in the process of burning my MP3s to CD, but it's still not ideal.
Apart from this niggle, I'm well pleased with the car, though I've yet to really try out the HFT (i'm not expecting anything special judging by previous posts).

Fantastic site btw !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th August 2006, 09:20
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,771 Times in 823 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Redjim, welcome!

Of course the dealer is talking ******. They need to order the cable (it's the one that's used when they fit their own external CD player, p/no H08A310H6000) and instead of fitting the Honda CD player they fit the connects2 adapter. Simple as that.

My dealer (very good, btw) is Francis Honda, Mountsorrel. Bit of a drive, but they did mine as a while you wait job.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th August 2006, 23:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy
Redjim, welcome!

Of course the dealer is talking ******. They need to order the cable (it's the one that's used when they fit their own external CD player, p/no H08A310H6000) and instead of fitting the Honda CD player they fit the connects2 adapter. Simple as that.

My dealer (very good, btw) is Francis Honda, Mountsorrel. Bit of a drive, but they did mine as a while you wait job.

Thanks Pottsy. When you say the external CD player, you mean the autochanger (that goes in the glove compartment I think) ? I'm going to get back to my own dealer and try to clarify exactly what they think I'm asking them to do ! I may even ask them to contact your dealer in Mountsorrel for more info - not sure whether car dealers like doing this, though.
Barring that, I might visit your dealer anyway (not too far from my Mum and Dad, and they're probably due a visit).

One other thing...the Connects2 adapter I have (VHOX001) has a pair of RCA (red/white) inputs and another round black socket, the like of which i haven't seen before (there is no 3.5mm headphone socket). Is this correct...presume i would need to use a 3.5mm --> RCA cable to connect up my ipod ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 09:45
Administrator

Eco display
Yes, it's the cable for connecting the autochanger (I think it goes into the centre console bin thing). The connects2 box just replaced the changer (hence that odd round connector). And yes, you need a 3.5 - RCA connector (didn't one come in the connects2 box?)

Guess your Mum and Dad are getting a visit! There's a salesman at Francis called Alex, speak to him - he knows all about the job.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 09:46
Administrator

Eco display
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 18:18

I just had exactly the same line from my dealer - they can't supply the wiring loom because using any non-honda part will cause the stereo to "blow"!! Oh dear, oh dear - they really don't want us to put our ipods in their cars! Maybe Mr Honda had a wee disagreement with Mr Apple somewhere along the line.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 18:34

Incidentally, assuming I can get hold of the loom, any ideas where this actually plugs into and how much of the car I have to dismantle to get to it?? I have an EX.

Just bought a 2nd hand Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play system in really good nick which I want to use with my iPod. I'm guessing I just add it in to the mix after the Connects2 box? ie Stereo - Wiring loom for changer - Connects2 box - HK Drive+Play - iPod.

Hmm this is sounding fairly difficult now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 18:38
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I think they'll offer a retro fit AUX link.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page