AUX in Honda iPod solution at last!!!! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 16:52 Thread Starter

Honda iPod solution at last!!!!

well.....almost!

Had a chat with the parts manager at my dealer today and the story is that Honda ARE actually working on an iPod solution for the Civic and are in fact close to releasing it. They have been beta testing the unit for the last month and my dealer expects them to release the product in the next few months.

Apparently the unit is a full integration solution and will mean that the iPod can be controlled from the steering wheel controls and will also replicate the iPod interface screen on the Civic screen (not sure whether or not this means the small audio screen or the sat nav TFT)

Not sure what this means for non-iPod mp3 users out there, but I would imagine that there will be some kind of audio aux in for you to use.

Looks like my plans to bodge some kind of CD multichanger solution are on hold. Hope the product lives up to its billing!

Now I'm off to call my dealer on my HFT to show him how awful the sound quality is - he seems to have a hotline to Honda HQ engineers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 16:53
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Re: Honda iPod solution at last!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civvie06
well.....almost!

Had a chat with the parts manager at my dealer today and the story is that Honda ARE actually working on an iPod solution for the Civic and are in fact close to releasing it. They have been beta testing the unit for the last month and my dealer expects them to release the product in the next few months.

Apparently the unit is a full integration solution and will mean that the iPod can be controlled from the steering wheel controls and will also replicate the iPod interface screen on the Civic screen (not sure whether or not this means the small audio screen or the sat nav TFT)

Not sure what this means for non-iPod mp3 users out there, but I would imagine that there will be some kind of audio aux in for you to use.

Looks like my plans to bodge some kind of CD multichanger solution are on hold. Hope the product lives up to its billing!

Now I'm off to call my dealer on my HFT to show him how awful the sound quality is - he seems to have a hotline to Honda HQ engineers!
Awesome news.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 19:15

I'll be keeping an eye out for that myself. Whoever gets it hooked up first, let the rest of us know. I'm hoping it works off the small audio sreen myself (1.8ES!).

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 19:27
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Great news! Thanks. There is hope then. Whatever they do it should be available for all levels not just EX. That would be just stupid. Let's hope for the best.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 19:36
Supporter

Im now on hold - Cant wait, its long overdue, a bad oversight by Honda!
Here's hoping
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 22:17
lee
Supporter

Great news!! I bet this forum thread will make lots of people very happy!...
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 10th August 2006, 19:53
Supporter

Excellent news. Just a bit concerned about how much they will charge for it and how effective it will be!
This lot in USA: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=159638
are not impressed by the Honda Music link and the very high price being demanded.
We shall see.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 10th August 2006, 19:57
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I think the most I would pay for it is 100 fitted.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 10th August 2006, 22:30

I would expect to be unhappy then basegreen. By the sounds of it this will require replacing the unit we currently have with a new one. So unless Honda do this as a goodwill thing (0% chance) or you break you stereo and have it replaced under warranty with the 2007 unit I cannot see any other way of getting this upgrade without paying what they reckon we would pay for something like this....i.e. !!!!

Hoping I am wrong.....
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 10th August 2006, 23:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Don't have a clue how much they plan to charge for the unit itself, but I can't imagine labour costs will be too high to fit it. Cheltenhamshire - why do you think it will require replacing anything? They wouldn't start ripping out head units or anything - it will just be some sort of wiring loom with maybe a control box and probably a iPod connector (just presuming here).

I can't imagine it would cost anything close to the cost of a multi CD changer and has two distinct advantages in that it wont eat up your whole centre console storage and will hold significantly more music. And if they do properly replicate the iPod interface then it will be easier to find music as well. I can never remember which CD I have in which slot!
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 11th August 2006, 17:12

HI Civvie, these solutions tend to either be part of a new unit (i.e. jack plug on the face plate of the unit) or like you say some kind of addition that would plug into the cd changer port (i.e. Honda version of the Dension icelink) and I am thinking that the easy option is to introduce a jack plug to the face plate of the unit on all 2007 Civics. Cost to Honda about 5 per unit ..... customers can then use any MP3 device....lots of happy customers.

Introduce something that will only work with an ipod and which allows full intregration well using the Dension as a guide will cost about 100 (plus Honda OEM markup, i.e. 299) so the total cost to you and I (and only ipod users not other MP3 players) will be in the region of 400.

Just a guess but bearing in mind what tossers the motor industry are I suspect that will be the outcome. Like I say, I really hope I am wrong. Personally I would be happy with a jack plug in all honesty....as long as I can get it added for 100 or less.
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 11th August 2006, 17:26

Christ, I hope it is not merely an ipod adapter. I have a Sony MP3 walkman with all my music on it, and am very happy with it.
I hope it includes or is just a 3.5mm jack so any audio device can use it, not just one brand.
Have Apple really got that much of a monopoly on the portable music maret?
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 11th August 2006, 17:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I can't believe Honda would be so shortsighted to make it an iPod only connector, but I can only repeat what the dealer told me, which was that there would be full control from the steering wheel.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 11th August 2006, 19:18
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to sco77harris
brilliant lol i was told this to so hopefully, its true lol
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 11th August 2006, 19:23
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Quote:
Originally Posted by civvie06
I can't believe Honda would be so shortsighted to make it an iPod only connector, but I can only repeat what the dealer told me, which was that there would be full control from the steering wheel.
That does seem to hint that it will be iPod only. I don't mind but I know many others will.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 13th August 2006, 13:37

Send a message via MSN to tucker101uk
Cant come quick enough for me... I think that for all the gadgets and gizmos the civic has, its shocking that there is no standard link for an aux device...

Ah well... can only wait and see!
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 13th August 2006, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheltenhamshire
HI Civvie, these solutions tend to either be part of a new unit (i.e. jack plug on the face plate of the unit) or like you say some kind of addition that would plug into the cd changer port (i.e. Honda version of the Dension icelink) and I am thinking that the easy option is to introduce a jack plug to the face plate of the unit on all 2007 Civics. Cost to Honda about 5 per unit ..... customers can then use any MP3 device....lots of happy customers.

Introduce something that will only work with an ipod and which allows full intregration well using the Dension as a guide will cost about 100 (plus Honda OEM markup, i.e. 299) so the total cost to you and I (and only ipod users not other MP3 players) will be in the region of 400.

Just a guess but bearing in mind what tossers the motor industry are I suspect that will be the outcome. Like I say, I really hope I am wrong. Personally I would be happy with a jack plug in all honesty....as long as I can get it added for 100 or less.
(Y)Agreed.

Also you from Cheltenham? If so what colour civic you drive? Maybe seen you before 8)
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 13th August 2006, 14:31

My car came from Amethyst in Cheltenham - back there on Tuesday for spare wheel to be fitted, luggage area light to be fixed, and shock absorbers to be examined. This is my second Honda from Amethyst - but with the last one - I had nothing at all done ever apart from routine services.
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 12:17

Cool, I got mine there aswell. I took it in today to get the exhaust fitted, but after 3hours they aclled up saying they're missing 2parts... so Now its delayed to friday!

post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 15th August 2006, 08:37

Yep, I am from Cheltenham (living in Bishops Cleeve) and mine is a vivid blue ES and I got my car from Amethyst too. Just calling them to say I want my rear shocks changed and would like them to stop my right side passenger door creaking like the average Honda buyers knees!!!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page