When I bought car, I ordered it with Basswork package.
In the end.... it wasn't what I hoped for.
So took old woofer and amp from my old Civ and decided to put it in new one.
Also, decided to put all new wiring for indoor speakers, and route them to back so they go over an amp instead of headunit.
For front speaker system I took Pioneer TS-E176C, for rear doors just moved ones from front doors there (coaxials 'Honda' made).
For sub used an that old speaker I had - Kenwood KFC-WS302 (ideal for small enclosures) and old amp Alpine 3544.
On to the show
First was to remove door panels and add some sound isolation on doors.
Well, it helps
Now when you knock on doors, there ain't more that thin metal sound
Resize of 119_1983.JPG
What I used for sound isolation is this:
Resize of 119_1986.JPG
Next, onto the speaker rings.
I decided rather to make wood one instead of buying that el-cheapo plastic ones.
Time to drill some rings
Resize of 119_1989.JPG
.. and attach them to the doors.
Also started wiring those speakers.
Resize of 119_1994.JPG
Pulling the speaker cable was 'easiest' to do with special wire for that that I had, and way to do it is from inside of the car, near the connector in rubber bung into the door. Yes, again - it takes some fiddling to do it.
Resize of 119_1995.JPG
After rings were done, time to start wiring power.
Finding place to pull power cable from battery into the cabin was real PITA.
In the end managed to make a small hole in rubber bung in middle of car, where main installation goes to the engine, and pulled power cable through it (black one).
All in all, it *was* real hell to do that, due to lack of space underneath the dash, and even less space in engine bay. Whoever goes thru with this, expect lots of fun
(pic is upside-down.. and doesn't maybe make too much sense... untill you look down there
Resize of 119_1993.JPG
Back to the doors... speaker in place, crossover also mounted in door, and another cable pulled for tweeters.
Resize of 119_1996.JPG
After 2 days finally wood I ordered was done. MDF, 2.2cm thick.
Test mount in the back.
Idea was to put all in the hole in the back.
This also meant I had to make some place to put amp(s) there, so had to sacrifice some of the volume for subwoofer enclosure.
In the end, box is about 30L, which is more than required for this speaker, as it's rated for 25L box (small enclosure speaker).
Resize of 120_2001.JPG
When all cabling is pulled to the back.....
Resize of 120_2002.JPG
Back onto building box.
Screwed/glued side panels, and time for some damping material to put into box.
Resize of 120_2005.JPG
.. and some proper welding tools for those 'thicker' wires to do
(no way to weld those thicker wires with 100W welding iron)
Resize of 120_2006.JPG
Well, all bolted up, and in trunk.
Was finally time to test it out!
Resize of 120_2008.JPG
Resize of 120_2009.JPG
Also, missing in the pictures:
Right side where amps are will be covered with board too. There's a vent for amp cooling.
Also - still need to put some material over boards, so it looks nice.
Rectangle over amp look cool, and prevents damage to speaker from stuff in trunk.
2x LOC's (Line Out Converters) are located underneath HU, where Bassworks amp was. Also re-routed RCA into box in hand rest in middle for sub volume control that I put there.
Remote signal is pulled from power for antenna from HU, but just in case... used also relay so it doesn't draw too much current.
Fuse for power is mounted on top of battery, so it's as close as possible to it (don't wanna burn down the car
So.. how does it sound?
Compared to stock - awsum!
Only thing that bothers me a bit is I don't have -3db setting for tweeters, as they seem a bit loud, so had to set up -2 treble on HU, when it sounds right.
But.. when I fired it up, it was great. Until I turn on the engine.
Yes - the dreaded engine whine!
I was sooooo pis*** off!
So, it was time to debug that.
Tried to manually ground RCA's both near HU, and in amp section.. no go.
All in all, after some fiddling, found the culprit.
Darn ground loop.
What did remove all engine whine and all noises was to insulate connectors near HU, and do not connect ground from LOC's to ground near HU.
All grounding was basically than done at amp's side.
This worked great, as have 0 engine whine or noises (brakes, etc...).
Ah.. another thing to look out for that took me another hour of time: when fitting fuse in engine compartment, I dropped fuse and part of box underneath.
OMG.. all underneath of engine is covered in plastic, basically to the middle of car! I barely managed to pick up those 2 pieces without removing half of underside of car.
Be *very* carefully if doing anything near engine, as dropping something may net you in hours spent trying to get it back!
Well... it took me some 5 days (each day some 3-4 hrs) to finish this.
If you go ahead to do it, leave enough time as there will always be some issues that prolong things.
I myself wouldn't be brave enough to leave this job for some shop to do, knowing how they do stuff.
In the end, I broke 0 (zero) plastic clips
.. so it proves that being careful is good thing, and nothing needs to end up broken in the end