2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

How bad is iPod via FM connection (wired not itrip)

Head Unit 
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bog 
#1 ·
Reading all the threads on adding an iPod connection there seems to be a school of thought that hooking up the iPod to the FM input (wired version not using a FM transmitter) is that the quality is poor.

Do you really notice though? Its not like MP3's are top quality either.

#3 ·
...hooking up the iPod to the FM input (wired version not using a FM transmitter) is that the quality is poor.

Do you really notice though? Its not like MP3's are top quality either.
I used an FM Transmitter (not wired) on my previous car and one point that I had missed completely is that I lost the benefits of RDS when listening to my ipod. This meant that I couldn't get traffic reports and I the signal got "swamped" more easily by interfernce, especially at night. Eventually I swaped over to a cassette tape adapter, which get better results and I got my traffic reports back. However, it was still not a 100% perfect solution, with sound quality still poorer than CDs.

I'd guess that a wired version would be less prone to interference, but would probably still suffer from the lack of RDS & Traffic Announcements problem.

#5 ·
I'd guess that a wired version would be less prone to interference, but would probably still suffer from the lack of RDS & Traffic Announcements problem.
The TMC has a seperate antenna, so as long as you wired the FM transmitter to the correct radio antenna, TMC would still work.

Personally, if you are going to start stripping the car down to locate antenna wires etc, I would go one step further and fit a connects2 aux in.[smilie=cheeky-grin:

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'd never thought about the Traffic info not working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.