Speakers Another speaker wire question - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st November 2007, 18:19 Thread Starter

Another speaker wire question

I've had a look in the Wiki at how to get into the dash. In the pictures that Pottsy has taken there is a large bundle of wires appearing from behind the gearlever. I was wondering if the wires that run to the speakers in the rear doors are accessible from here under the console. I really don't want to take the whole dash apart or remove the door trims to get to the speaker wires to install my sub unless I really have to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st November 2007, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl65 View Post
I've had a look in the Wiki at how to get into the dash. In the pictures that Pottsy has taken there is a large bundle of wires appearing from behind the gearlever. I was wondering if the wires that run to the speakers in the rear doors are accessible from here under the console. I really don't want to take the whole dash apart or remove the door trims to get to the speaker wires to install my sub unless I really have to!
All wires can be found at the head unit loom, there is no need to find the wires at the speakers themselves unless you are going for serious amplification and seriously top-draw speakers. Getting through the door tubes with upgraded wire will be a tough job and probably not worth it given the Civ's acoustics.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st November 2007, 21:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Are the speaker wires in this bundle just under the gear lever?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st November 2007, 21:43
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
No - you really need to pull the radio out to get to the wires.

Have a look here:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/301...ack-radio.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 15:52
Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to HumberMart
I tried to take rear speaker feeds from this loom to feed the powered sub fitted under the seats.

I'd (wrongly) read on the forum that it was necessary to take the rear seats out on the TS to get at the rear speakers - but in fact it's very easy.

I managed to find the feed for the LH rear, but not the RH for some reason.

In messing about to find the feeds, I think I tripped the airbag warning light. However the dealer reset this for me. He said that if you switch on the ignition with any circuit disconnected, it can activate the air bag warning alarm. Id did this whilst trying to find the speaker wires, 'cos I undid the main loom connector to test each pin for a speaker signal!

Accessing the rear speakers is a doddle, (posted recently elsewhere)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 16:26
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Whats that under the loom in the last pic -looks like sound insulation! Mine does not have it

Are Honda putting more insulation in the later builds?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 16:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumberMart View Post
I managed to find the feed for the LH rear, but not the RH for some reason.
Was it in the large wiring loom? I don't suppose the colours are the same as mentioned in the wiki fro easy identification? I actually only need to connect a single high level speaker input to my sub according to the instructions! So finding a feed without having to dismantle the dash and radio panels would be wonderful. I'm not averse to doing it if I must though! There must be easier access to a speaker cable somewhere inside the body.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 17:34
Supporter

I took the LH feed from the loom connector positioned just under the RHS of the gear lever cover. Can't remember the colours unfortunately, but they are the same listed in one of the 'how to' guides.

I guess you could also pick up a connection from the same loom as it travels though the console between the front seats. However it would be hard to identify the correct cables.

I was forgetting your's has rear doors, so I can understand the attraction of avoiding taking a feed from the doors, as you'd have to route it back out again.

Following the great guides by Pottsy and co. I found it very easy to take off the dash and slide out the head unit, so don't give up on this 'extreem' option. Whilst doing this, you can also sort out a lot of other issues, such as fitting an aux input (very useful), or hard wired bluetooth/portable nav feeds etc. if you require.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 17:41
Supporter

If you do take off the door trims at any time. I'd highly recommend adding some self adhesive bitumin sound proofing to the metal panels. This was by far the most cost effective mod I've done to date.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page