Radio Cheap DAB solution - converts to FM :( - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 14:48 Thread Starter
Supporter

Cheap DAB solution - converts to FM :(

Pure have announced a cheap way of adding DAB to you car, it allows choice of all the DAB but then transmits the signal back to your car on FM surely this defeats the point of getting a better sound quality:

Highway - Intro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 15:28
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
The only real point to that can be when the stop transmitting non-DAB and you have a car like the Civic where it is a pain to change the HU.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 15:45
Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to HumberMart
DAB gives a much wider choice of stations, and is far better for listening to stations normally only available in AM (5 live for example)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 15:47
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumberMart View Post
DAB gives a much wider choice of stations, and is far better for listening to stations normally only available in AM (5 live for example)

You must have much more DAB transmitions in the UK then than we do.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 17:15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
You must have much more DAB transmitions in the UK then than we do.
I believe the current count is 20 radio stations and rising! (mostly BBC)

The main selling point is supposed to be quality

However:

One problem (I believe) is that some of the stations are a little short on bandwidth and therefore compress the music more - hence loss of quality

Another is: because it is digital the audio doesn't degrade if the signal strength is low, it just stops!

I will stick with FM for the moment, I believe that will not be turned off for a few years yet!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 18:53

Looks good to me. Pure do make some excellent DAB radios so the quality should be high.
I like the fact that you can also plug your iPod into the unit so that you have the choice of FM, DAB or your own music.
My only concern is the strength of the transmission. I have an FM transmitter for my iPod, but I have to put it in the boot so that it is closer to the ariel in the rear windscreen. There is also the problem of finding a vacant FM frequency, but 87.6 should be below most commercial radio stations so it might just work.

Last edited by Honda100; 2nd November 2007 at 18:54. Reason: add comment
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 22:14

I saw the Pure today at the Stuff show, looks good.

It Transmitts an RDS Signal to your FM Radio called Pure Radio, The Pure unit finds a Hole (space) in the FM and uses that frequency for the FM link, if the Pure wants to change frequency it does and as its RDS the radio follows it.

The Pure also has an audio input for MP3/IPOD, it has a small aerial to place near you tax disc.

The only downside is that it is quite large, I don know where I could fit it in my Civic

Only cost 69.00

Re Dave
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2007, 22:22
Supporter

And I bet that they will be down by 20 quid, in the after Xmas sales too.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st February 2008, 22:21

Car: 2012 1.8 ES
Bought One!

I had a DAB radio in my previous car for 3 years, really enjoyed it and was permanently tuned into 6 music. Was gutted when I couldn't get a DAB option with my new Civic ES - was even more gutted when I heard the quality of the bundled radio. So, have been looking for an affordable way to get DAB in the car for some time.

Bought one the other day. Have only played around with it a little so far, but seems to do the job. Haven't bothered setting up properly yet, but even when connecting everything up and just dumping it in the glovebox, the quality's been better than many FM radio stations. Have only driven around a small area in Fife (north of Edinburgh), but great to be able to have access to some decent radio stations again. Hope to spend some time this week-end working out how to get the most from it and where to install it. I think there's a good possibility that I'll be able to affix the ariel to the front windscreen and leave the unit in the glovebox, out of sight. I even toyed with the idea of putting it in the boot, closer to the existing ariel.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st February 2008, 22:39
Supporter

For anyone in the U.K. who has been put off buying a DAB radio for the home, due to the postcode finder informing them - "its not available in your area".
Don't take it as gospel.
I live in the middle of nowhere (Inbredinthemoor) and I chanced buying one.
The little fellow can pick up at least 15 stations and the sound quality is brilliant.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2008, 09:27
Supporter

any chance for pictures or where-to-buy info? I've looked in Germany but they seem to be selling only whole units (radio/CD) and these are _very_ expensive
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 07:52

Car: 2012 1.8 ES
I bought mine from HTC , Mio & GPS Sat Nav :: Superetrader. £70. I paid extra for next business delivery. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive. I contacted the company, they refunded the full delivery charge. Arrived next day. The documentation on Pure's own web site isn't too bad: Highway Documentation, Updates and FAQ's - PURE Digital. The fact sheet pdf shows the basics.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 09:01
Supporter

I love my Radio 5 and travelling around the country at night and getting a good reception can sometimes be quiet frustrating. So as I have a portable Digital Radio, I have used this in the past with my belkin fm transmitter. It works quiet well to be honest, not perfect but so much better than what I was getting.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 11:24

Thinking about getting one of these myself as I love my Pure DAB radiio at home.
Does anyone know about the aerial that comes with?
Do you have to mount it outside and remove loads of trim to install it?
Im in no way technical and as it will be going in my lease car Im not sure they would be to happy with me ripping bits off it
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 12:24
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeeandy View Post
Bought one the other day. Have only played around with it a little so far, but seems to do the job. Haven't bothered setting up properly yet, but even when connecting everything up and just dumping it in the glovebox, the quality's been better than many FM radio stations. Have only driven around a small area in Fife (north of Edinburgh), but great to be able to have access to some decent radio stations again. Hope to spend some time this week-end working out how to get the most from it and where to install it. I think there's a good possibility that I'll be able to affix the ariel to the front windscreen and leave the unit in the glovebox, out of sight. I even toyed with the idea of putting it in the boot, closer to the existing ariel.
Is the unit small enough to fit into the cubbyhole between the seats?
Also, how long is the wire from the aerial. I was thinking about affixing it towards the back of the rear side window and having the unit in the cubbyhole, do you think it would stretch that far?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 13:31
Supporter

Don't want to discourage you guys but I wanted a DAB too and when I asked my local TV/cable guy he had told me to wait because in the EU they are switching to a different form of encoding so there can be serious problems with "legacy devices" (= most today's models). If you buy, choose a unit with updatable firmware
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 16:39

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 21:17
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda100 View Post
Great, it will fit in the cubbyhole.

But I couldn't find anything on how long the aerial lead is.
Anybody out there with a Pure Highway and a ruler
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 21:48

If I remember correctly from the short time that I had one, the ariel is about 20-25 cm long, 2 cm wide and has, at its base, a 3cm square box which I assume is an amplifier.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008, 22:03
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy69 View Post
Great, it will fit in the cubbyhole.

But I couldn't find anything on how long the aerial lead is.
Anybody out there with a Pure Highway and a ruler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda100 View Post
If I remember correctly from the short time that I had one, the ariel is about 20-25 cm long, 2 cm wide and has, at its base, a 3cm square box which I assume is an amplifier.
Do you remember roughly how long the lead was?
Will it stretch from the cubbyhole to the back of the rear side window?

Did you only have one for a short time because you weren't that impressed, or for another reason

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page