AUX in A good alternative for non-i-Pod MP3 players? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 17:57 Thread Starter

A good alternative for non-i-Pod MP3 players?

I know i-Pod compatable FM transmitters have been around for a while, but I was unwawre of anything for non i-Pod owners.

Today I found a Belkin device that works with any audio device with a 3.5mm headphone jack. It costs under 30 which is reasonable too.

I was attracted to this as it easily changable with my girlfriend's Ka, which also lacks an aux-in jack.

The transmitter can broadcast at any frequency between 88.1 to 107.9MHz, so finding a clear patch won't be too hard. The bloody radio changed to a nearby station once or twice, but adjusting the frequency sorted that.

The sound quality is obviously not quite as good as an MP3 CD, but is more than good enough. It runs off two AAAs or 12V from car socket.

My plan is to power it from the bood, freeing up front socket for GPS or phone charger or whatever, and have the transmitter on the back seat, near the rew window. I can easily get an extension for the 12" audio lead to run it to the front of the car where my Sony MP3 walkman is. The reason i don't want it in the boot, is in case I need to adjust the frequency for any reason.

I am happy with it, and thought I'd share it with you for those who don't want to wait for Honda to pull their finger out, or aren't willing to take their dash boards apart.

* Yes, I know it illegal to use in the UK, but I make sure I only use it when travelling to 'certain European countries where a Broadcasting Licenece is not required'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st September 2006, 15:03
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I'm struggling with strange interference on ALL freqs with mine. Does it work better in the back?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st September 2006, 16:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

After more use, it has become noticable that it can be tetchy with regards to it's positioning, and moving it a small amount can make the difference between a good signal and just noise.

It does work better in the back, yes. I keep meaning to buy a decent length 3.5mm extension cable and run it to the back seat. The transmitter can be powered form the boot socket if it run round or over the rear seat. That also lets you have the MP3 player in the front with no transmitter and it's power adaptor.

As expected, a clear frequency here can have a lot of interference 10 miles away, so I have had to switch stations a few times, but have always found a useable one.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2006, 13:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

BG, I have it!

I have the transmitter powered by the rear socket. I have run the power lead from the boot, between the seats so it comes out at the rear drop down armrest. Now, connect it to the transmitter, and place it under the central headrest. The headrest will hold the transmitter still and hide it.

I have bought a 6' 3.5mm headphone cable extension (also Belkin) which has one male and one female end. Plug the transmitter plug into the female end of the extension, and run the lead down between the seat back and bench. You might need to tilt the bech up to het the gap you need to feed it through. Now the extension can run under rear mat and up between the front seats, where your MP3 can sit in the drink holder compartment, or wherever you like.

When not in use, the cable is barely visable, but you can hider it under rear seat in about 5 seconds if you wish.

As the transmitter is now less than a foot from rear window, reception is 100%, mine works on 92.6fm everywhere now.

Hope this help you out a bit, and anybody else who wants to try something similar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2006, 15:31
Administrator

Good idea - mine is definitely faulty though.. .need to send it back
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2006, 15:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Where did you get it? Can you just take it back to the store for a straight swap? Or was it bought on-line?

What is wrong with the thing?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th October 2006, 16:05
Administrator

Online - it makes a loud screetching sound on the radio on all freqs. I've got three itrips, so its not because im doing something wrong, its just knackered.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th October 2006, 01:17
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Yer they can be a bit of a hassle to setup but ive been using one for 3 or so years been good , just a pitty civic missed out on another easy browny point , come on honda get a solution dont for this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2006, 17:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Please check out my 'How To:' post on this! The photos are a bit crappy, due to being taken on my phone, but they work.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Ipods, MP3 Players and ICE (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page