light switches - explanation please - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve_m

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th March 2019, 21:08 Thread Starter

light switches - explanation please

Hi all,

My 10th civic is few days old, I went through the whole manual, but some things are still fuzzy.
One of them is the light control switches / auto mode.

I am sorry if I am using wrong wording here, but I am not sure how the typical light modes are called in English. But I will use the following wording, increased in order of intensity:
- parking light (sidelight)
- low beam
- high beam

On the left stalk switch the following positions are available
- off (temporary position)
- auto
- parking light (?)
- low beam
+ pushed back: high beam

And now my questions, numbered:
1)
if I am not mistaken, there is no separate dashboard lamp for the parking light and the low beam. Am I right? cause I find this a bit strange (here it is mandatory to switch on the low beam even during daytime if you are outside city, but I think parking light is not adequate. So this one common dashboard light can be confusing

2)
what is the exact purpose of 'auto' mode? Which are the possible options that are selected automatically in this mode? :
- low beam, high beam OR
- parking light, low beam, high beam OR
- off, parking light, low beam, high beam

3)
strangely enough, yesterday I was play aorund with light switch options and I saw on a wall in front of the car that when the Auto mode was selected it had higher brightness than in parking light mode, but lower than in low beam mode. At this point I got lost, as it seemed something in between parking and low beam level. Did I observe this correctly?

4)
how can Auto mode cope with such regulations that outside city you must use low beam? (I think it cannot)

5)
the car's owner manual states this for the Auto mode:
"automatic mode: we recommend that driving during the night you should use manual light modes"
What? Is this a joke then?

I have no problem to use the lights fully manually, but still I would like to understand the rules of operation of this system, but the manual is just not enough for me.

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th March 2019, 22:06

Car: 2018 Civic 5 Dr Sport+ 1.5T
1. Correct there is no low beam indicator, thou you could tell by the switch position whether low beam or parking lights are on. (Auto mode will only turn on low beam and not parking lights)

2. Auto mode will turn on the low beam when the light level drops or if the wipers are in auto mode sweep more than a couple of times, Auto mode will also allow High beam support (Main beam coming on/off automatically) system to work)

3. Day time running light show brighter, but without a defined beam when in auto mode and the light levels are high, turning the switch will either turn on parking lights (dim) or low beam (defined pattern)

4. Auto mode cannot cope with needing lights on during daylight hours or during fog, low beam would need to be turned on manually.

5. I suppose its always possible that some other bright light onto the light sensor could cause your low beam to turn off. (I've never experienced that and I just leave mine in Auto all the time)
M8TJT likes this.
Thanks to Steve_m from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 11:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks a lot Steve!

And do we know where is the ambient light sensor located, is it on the middle of the dashboard close to the bottom of the windscreen?
Or perhaps additionally the camera image is used as well to help the car figure out which lights to switch on-off automatically?
(I just would like to play around a bit, cover the sensors to see what happens)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 12:19

Light sensor position depends on grade, majority are at top of windscreen (Models with auto wipers) others lower grades are the sensor in the top centre of the dashboard.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 15:39

As far as I was aware there is essentially low beam, high beam and full beam. Leaving it in auto I've had no issues to date.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 16:11
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
There are DLRs which are on bright during the day (with no rear lights) and dimmed when you switch the switch to the first ON position. In this position, the DLRs are dim and the rear and side amber lights come on.

If the switch is left at the Auto position, the main headlights will come on (and the DLRs off) when the car deems that the light is bad enough and automatically switch from dipped to high beam when it 'thinks' it is right so to do. (The latter can be disabled either temporarily or permanently.)

Last edited by M8TJT; 18th March 2019 at 17:46. Reason: Correction as per Steve_m's post below
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
dimmed at night when the lights either auto switch on

The DRLs will never be dimmed with the light switch in Auto, it will only change from DRL (Bright) to low beam, the only way for the DRLs to be dim is the switch in the parking light position.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 17:46
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Thanks Steve. I have edited my post. Better?

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Lights (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page