HID Light flickers/turns off but comes back on when lights are turned off and on. - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Haltamer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11th July 2019, 23:28 Thread Starter

Light flickers/turns off but comes back on when lights are turned off and on.

Hi, I recently bought a 2006 civic sport petrol. My drivers side xenon light randomly flickers and turns off while driving, when I turn the lights off and on the light comes back on until it eventually flickers and dies again. A mate of mine who has owned hondas for years recommended disconnecting the negative battery terminal and cleaning it but that didn't work for me. My screen with the time and radio on it also only displays parts of the numbers sometimes but when I tap the dash above it the screen goes back to normal. I don't imagine they're related but figured it was worth mentioning as they are both electrical problems potentially. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11th July 2019, 23:45
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
As it's xenons, it's an indication that either the bulb or the ballast is failing.

Swap the bulbs over, if the problem changes sides, buy new bulbs - If it stays on the same side, look for a new ballast!

This is caused by the way HID lights turn on; A high voltage (20kV+) pulse is used to start the plasma arc which produces the light; If the starting pulse is not strong enough, then additional strikes can get enough warmth into the bulb to start it (Though this is very bad for the ballast / bulbs!) or, if the bulbs are on their way out (They are two electrodes which are eroded by the arc) then the gap may be too large for the arc to start without the extra warmth.

Hopefully that sheds some light (ha!)
Farqui and FergyCiv like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11th July 2019, 23:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank you very much. I'll try switching them over in the morning.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 04:10
Supporter

As for your issue with the date and time there are plenty of posts in here about taking the display out and re flowing the solder connections. Prety easy to do and solves the problem with the screen

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Lights (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page