• 1 Post By futureal33
  • 1 Post By futureal33
  • 1 Post By futureal33

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:09 Thread Starter

Car: Civic 1.5 Sport Plus
60 plate Type R - LSD, New Tyres, New owner etc

Evening all,

Thought I would post about my new (to me) Civic Type R 2010 which I picked up last week.

Have been a member on here for a while, mainly reading and learning, so decided to hopefully offer something back by posting!

After looking around for what feels like ages, with a fairly specific set of criteria (max 40k miles, max 2 owners, LSD model, red or white, not smoked in (!!) and with FSH) I went to look at many many sheds, and had pretty much given up, when a car caught my attention in Nottingham, so I went to see it, and ended up driving it home.

Its a 2010 (60 plate) LSD model ** (more on this later) with 39k. 2 owners. So it hit all my criteria also has FSH, but for some reason doesn't have the valve clearance service box ticked...

The car came with bloody awful, but brand new, Acceleron tyres, which I couldn't find much info on - but they were absolutely awful in the dry and extremely dangerous in the wet!!

Anyway, having only owned the car a week, I have already begun tinkering, and have done the following:
  • Fitted K&N Panel Filter - sounds brilliant, really impressed for just a panel
  • Changed tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4's all round - amazing, totally transformed the car
    • Fitted a Sony AVX-AX100 double DIN stereo with Android Auto
    • Fitted HEKO wind deflectors
    • Fitted 8000k HID headlight bulbs to replace the factory HIDs

While the car was up on ramps, I decided to "check" that the car had the LSD fitted. From what I had read, simply putting the car into Neutral and spinning one wheel should cause the other wheel to spin.
However... nothing was happening when I tried this... the other wheel remained stationary. Confused... I went to google to read about "How an LSD works" and read that some LSDs require friction and therefore this test should be done in 1st gear.
Tried again (mechanic was beginning to get a little frustrated at this point!) with the car in 1st gear - and spinning one of the front wheels caused the opposite wheel to spin the opposite direction.

From what I read online - this confirms that the car does have the LSD fitted!

I have also confirmed the chassis number with Honda directly, and was told that this car is the LSD model...

I'm definitely no Lewis Hamilton, but I know how to make a car understeer coming out of a roundabout in 2nd gear - and I was already fairly certain the LSD was there - as I was struggling to get any kind of understeer (although the previous fitted Acceleron tyres were dreadful) but with the Michelin PS4s, I cant get the front un-stuck at all!

Ran into a slight problem when fitting the HIDs, I'm sure Im not the first.... Driver's side was fairly easy - the clips/screws were a bit of a pain and a fiddle, but I got there. The passenger side - a much bigger job! Looks like Im going to have to remove the battery and a few other bits to get at it - nightmare!

Anyway - enough rambling... very happy with the car - here's a few photos in various states of modification

Also pictured next to my weekend toy here
Farqui and Waseem_Cpt like this.

Last edited by futureal33; 7th June 2017 at 19:16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:14
Supporter

Car: 2009 Type S GT
This just makes me wish I'd bought a Type R now. Lovely car by the way, I think they really suit that colour.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Forgot to add

Car is booked in at Grinspeed which is just up the road from me in 2 weeks time for the FRSU and a major service including valve clearances.

Was considering going for lowering springs too... but I've already caught the ground a couple of times so I've been put off making it any lower!
Farqui likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:25

Car: 2007 FN2-GT Milano Red
Great looking car, enjoy!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:26

Car: 2007 CTR GT (FN2) Bronze
Garage
Congrats and it looks in stunning condition. I'm also looking at a set of Michelin or eagle f1 tyres. Is that the k&n air filter you have had fitted? I've just ordered one off Tegiwa imports along with a skunk 2 gear knob

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:28
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,114 Times in 3,811 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Nice Mod thread you've started here

Grinspeed will sort you out, I wouldn't go too wild on FRSU tho. Unless you can get tyres cheap...

Shall we move the thread into the Moddin' section? - done.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander2874 View Post
Congrats and it looks in stunning condition. I'm also looking at a set of Michelin or eagle f1 tyres. Is that the k&n air filter you have had fitted? I've just ordered one off Tegiwa imports along with a skunk 2 gear knob

Ooh forgot about the gear knob!
I've fitted a Mugen one off eBay (presumably a copy) - but it is bloody brilliant, it weighs a ton and gives such a nice gear shift feel!

The standard OEM one was quite warn and looked tatty

The Mugen one didnt line up well... so stuffed a bit of bog-roll into it, and now it's perfect - love cheap fixes! haha

I'd absolutely 100% recommend the Michelin's mate. Had the Eagle F1s on the Mini JCW and (so far) the PS4s are better
Commander2874 likes this.
Thanks to futureal33 from:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:29

Garage
Need more pics please!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal33 View Post
Ooh forgot about the gear knob!
I've fitted a Mugen one off eBay (presumably a copy) - but it is bloody brilliant, it weighs a ton and gives such a nice gear shift feel!

The standard OEM one was quite warn and looked tatty

The Mugen one didnt line up well... so stuffed a bit of bog-roll into it, and now it's perfect - love cheap fixes! haha

I'd absolutely 100% recommend the Michelin's mate. Had the Eagle F1s on the Mini JCW and (so far) the PS4s are better
Nice one! Heard the upgraded gear knob can make a huge difference. Ps4 it is!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Farqui and Porkpie79 like this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander2874 View Post
Nice one! Heard the upgraded gear knob can make a huge difference. Ps4 it is!

Definitely, 105 per corner as well which is ridiculously cheap for 18s - from Black Circles, fitted locally.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 19:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Also - forgot to mention that my driver's seat lever mechanism isnt working (to allow rear passengers in/out) the lever is all floppy and dead.

So ordered a new cable from Honda for 24 and going to have a go at fixing this weekend
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 22:28
Supporter

Car: 2008 Alabaster CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal33 View Post
Also - forgot to mention that my driver's seat lever mechanism isnt working (to allow rear passengers in/out) the lever is all floppy and dead.

So ordered a new cable from Honda for 24 and going to have a go at fixing this weekend
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-gui...anism-fix.html

I had the same issue and used this guide to fix it, I didn't fancy replacing the whole cable as it's well buried in the seat and the above fix cost about 3 quid. Worth a punt and then get a refund on the honda cable.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th June 2017, 02:05
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Very nice mate, only use Stevie now and love watching them work

Their FRS is on the tame side and not eaten any of my 8 tyres yet!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th June 2017, 07:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-gui...anism-fix.html

I had the same issue and used this guide to fix it, I didn't fancy replacing the whole cable as it's well buried in the seat and the above fix cost about 3 quid. Worth a punt and then get a refund on the honda cable.

Thank you - I'll have a look at this and give it a go!
Thanks for the heads up!!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th June 2017, 07:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

New stereo went in last night, Sony AVX-AX100 - very impressed. Has Android Auto which was the main selling point - as it connects via USB to your phone - and then allows you to basically control useful apps through your headunit, using your phone's data and Bluetooth - so I've now got full Google Maps sat-nav, Spotify, Whatsapp, Texts, and the usual Bluetooth hands free phone tech, all through the headunit with steering wheel controls still working etc.

I'd never really used "Ok Google" much before, but wow... in the car it is utterly brilliant - commands such as "Play me some ****" - will result in Spotify launching and playing that music..
"Call Home" will call home
"Take me to the nearest McDonalds" will launch Google Maps and start navigating me there

All through the headunit screen - well impressed!

Halfords fitted it for 30 for me too, and it took the guy 5 hours - so I'm pretty pleased with that!

I am really impressed with how much better the standard speakers are too!! I had read that they sound better with a decent headunit, but HOW much better... I am really shocked by!!
I also installed a small active 8" Vibe Optisound under-seat subwoofer in the rear - which TBH I hardly need as the standard speakers sound that much better than they did!
I've been messing with the levels all night and morning and got it sounding pretty good now for my preferred music style - and the sub is hardly required tbh!

I'll post pics up later, as I damaged the plastic surround for the stereo last night, so I've got another one arriving Thursday - so I'll get some pics once that's fitted around the bezel

Also going to attempt the passengers side HID bulb tonight - I've got a few hours of peace so going to give it a go, it looks to be a total nightmare!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th June 2017, 12:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

New HID headlight FINALLY in, after a solid 4 hours of trying last night!!

Hard to get a decent pic... but

Civinfo > All Civics > Modification Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page