2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Jakabi's FN2 (2011) Build

24K views 124 replies 19 participants last post by  vti444 
#1 ·
I've found soooooo much helpful info on this site, I thought I'd create my own build thread to give a little back :)

Been looking for a clean stock FN2 for a little while and finally found a cracker (albeit its 'nightmare' black). It's done 29k, had a Honda service every 12 months and been garaged most of its life I believe. It's not without its issues, but on the whole its really clean.

I sold my EP3 Cosmic Premier Edt going on 10 years ago and missed it ever since. It was immaculate and I literally gave it away :(

I'm looking to keep it as close to stock looking and sounding as possible, but want to 'restore and improve' as much as possible.

A few pics to start with, hope you like ...

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice find, looking forward to the progress :)

#6 ·
Only had the car a few weeks but there are a few jobs complete already.

First up, rear shocks. I bought some adjustable Koni Yellows from Larkspeed for £256.00 delivered ... https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/879L80411360SPORT

*On closer inspection these are actually slightly shorter than the Sachs OEM unit but they did fit OK. I think the top mounts needed drilling out slightly too. I saw that someone else had fitted these so assumed they were OK.

To keep in with the OEM feel they had to have a colour change ...

1. Removed stickers and rubbed down first with 2000/1500 wet and dry so they had a matt finish ...

*Note the bottom of the shocks ... the yellow paint was actually cracked fresh out the box ...

2. Masked up ...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-4251-...wKIfbTKiNAr7mHQMHqoaAiPEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. Wiped down with paint prep wipes and into the spray booth! ... :)

Before ...

After (2 coats, 20 mins between each other) ...

For the paint, I used 'Plasti-kote 1284 400ml Metal Protekt - Matt Black'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004LLOSNE/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

4. Left for 24 hours drying, masking removed ...

5. A few days after painting, out with the old ...

in with the new ...

Thanks to Stevie and the team at Grinspeed for installing them! It would have been a mission just getting those back wheels off on the driveway as they were well and truly stuck on there. Given the low mileage, they could have been on there for around 6-7 years!

Paint finish looked great to me, but open to any advice on the painting technique as i'm just a beginner.

#9 ·
On install i think it was set to 2 full turns back from firm which felt very similar to stock but less 'crashy'. I've turned them to full soft for the moment and it feels pretty good to me for normal road driving. I don't know if new shocks need time to 'bed in' though? ... maybe they will get a touch softer over time then will need firming up?

For me they are ideal and I'll probably leave them on full soft for road use and then full firm for the track.

The only issue I have is the adjustment. The white Koni adjusters for the top don't fit under the arch lining ... and none of my sockets or spanners are small enough to grip the top (smallest is 6mm). Just had to use pliers for the moment but need to find something better.

Reactions: daedaldee
#11 ·
Just tried a 6 sided 3.5mm/4mm/4.5mm socket from a PC toolkit I have and no joy. I think I'm just going to dremel one of these koni adjusters.

#12 ·
Adjusters modified! :) ...

Before ...

Bits left over ...

In the car ...

As you can see its a really tight space and you cant get enough purchase with your fingers even when its cut down. So I just cut a slot in the top for a large flat head bit to fit in. Works a treat now!

#13 ·
New delivery this morning :) ...

^ not on the car so look a touch bigger in the pic

Plan is to refurb these in the gunmetal grey used on the EP3 alloys and get some new pilot sport 4 boots on them. Not sure what grey they are at the moment but thinking a little bit lighter ... could do with putting one up against an EP3 wheel really to see the difference.

#20 · (Edited)
New delivery this morning :) ...

^ not on the car so look a touch bigger in the pic

Plan is to refurb these in the gunmetal grey used on the EP3 alloys and get some new pilot sport 4 boots on them. Not sure what grey they are at the moment but thinking a little bit lighter ... could do with putting one up against an EP3 wheel really to see the difference.
Sorry my mistake they are different again. I'll never work out what these wheels are.

#16 ·
New battery installed.

The turnover with the old one felt a little lazy so when I checked it I was getting readings of between 11.9 to 12.2 in a morning with the ignition on. Disconnected it and popped the charger on it and it said fully charged within a few mins, so a good sign it was on its way out. Found the receipt for Aug 15 and the old one was a Bosch S1 021 which has a 3 year guarantee/life i think. The cold crank rating on the Bosch was 330A so went for the Yuasa YBX3053 which has a rating of 400A (only deciding factor really) ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JGMECTS/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I recall my EP3 having a Yuasa battery from the factory, don't know if Honda still use them?

#18 ·
A champ white was on my shopping list as well as a 200. They would have been my first choice but couldn't pass this up for the price and the fact it was untouched and it's got the LSD.

It's going for a detail and ceramic coating at the end of June as it's marred everywhere. Should see the crystal black pearl in all its glory then :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Connorlavo
#19 ·
Cleaned up the Brembo's that should be going on the car next week all being well. Still need a bit of work as they have been scuffed in a few places. The whole set is from a 2013 Renault Megane 265

Used 'Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel' (https://www.bilthamber.com/auto-wheel) to clean most of the caked on grime off ... then plugged the main brake line hole and gave them a good wash down with warm soapy water. Took a couple of hours but they came up really well.

The rears are actually TRW single pot like the ones on the FN2. Mine are looking pretty rough so going to see if these will fit with the FN2 carriers and the rear fixings. No idea if they will fit until its stripped down, but will update the thread once I know. If anyone else has tried let me know!

This is the comparison from the TRW site (top is FN2, bottom is the Renault) ...

#21 ·
Wheels and new Michelin PS4's off to AWR in Bury for the refurb (thats 8x 18" wheels in the back of a Tiguan with room to spare, so much room in these things with the seats down) ...

4x PS4's were £320 delivered from Black Circles with a 10% code they had on the other day.

The refurb cost is £240 for the 4 wheels all in with new tyres fitted.

Gone for 'Dark Shadow Chrome' with a fairly flat finish. Should turn out something like this with less of a shine ...

Should be ready on Friday, can't wait! :)

#22 ·
Intake pipes now fitted

Bumper off (used some grips on the fog light connectors as they were not for budging) ...

Resonator out (weighs around 1.1 KG) ...

I got a 1 metre length piece of 83mm neoprene pipe because I was going to connect that to the OEM lower intake pipe ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270892010458

But once the pipes were off, I changed my mind because of the narrow bends in the OEM bits (approx 80mm x 55mm on one of the bends) ...

... but then the 1m length isnt long enough to reach the bumper .. bummer!

For now, I connected the 1m pipe directly onto the airbox and left it positioned in the hole near the wheel arch lining, not 100% happy with it but there is loads of space there now that bulky resonator has gone (may get a 1.5m length at some point). Also, turned the horn upwards to allow more airflow through the front ...

Cable tied the new lower pipe to the coolant pipe, again not 100% happy with this, so will look at a cleaner solution at some point ...

New black RamAir silicone intake fitted ...

Only had it out for 20 mins and really happy because the sound is still similar to stock even without the resonator.

Just running the stock flashpro map atm.

Reactions: Bones126
#29 · (Edited)
Just a K&N panel filter. I'm not chasing numbers, just trying to improve drive-ability in any area I can. I can't wait to get the Brembo's fitted, the OEM brakes on mine at the moment are awful.

#26 · (Edited)
Before and after temperature comparison with the intake changes below ...

- K&N panel filter (freshly cleaned and oiled)
- Removal of all lower intake pipes including resonator
- Lower intake pipes replaced with single piece 83mm neoprene pipe

I also have a Skunk2 thermal intake gasket and RamAir silicone intake pipe, but given the IAT sensor is located in the MAF, these shouldn't affect the readings.

STOCK (ambient 18 C)

AFTER INTAKE CHANGES (ambient 13 C)

This isn't a perfect test because they were done on different days and slightly different routes, both datalogs are around 25 mins give or take. Both days were dry. The last 5 mins or so on each chart is heavier traffic and traffic lights etc, hence why they both creep up a bit.

BTW the 2 lower spikes on the top chart and 3 lower spikes on the bottom chart are 3rd gear pulls.

#27 ·
Nice work, good mod.

#28 ·
Thanks, the stock OEM location isnt great as it takes air from the upper wheel arch. Obviously heat is produced by the tyres and discs and heat rises ... I assume this would be even worse when the car is pushed hard for periods of time like a track day.

#35 ·
I usually always use dry filters but the car had a K&N so just decided to clean that and re-oil with K&N branded spray oil.

Thanks for posting the dyno sheet. You have some good numbers on the dyno given the mods.

Mine is a 2011 with the LSD too, going to get an etune on mine once the plugs and clearances are done next week.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Quick update ...

- New NGK iridum plugs fitted
- Valve clearances done (some inlets needed adjusting, car is on 29,500 miles)
- Eibach progressive springs fitted
- FRSU complete
- Oil change done (Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40)
- New Bosch wipers fitted

Pick the refurbed alloys up on Saturday but waiting until the end of the month before I put them on as I'll get them ceramic coated when the car is detailed. Might aswell get them coated while they are immaculate.

Booked in for the Brembo's in a couple of weeks.

... oh and the mrs wasn't too happy when this turned up :) ...

The rear beam came off an 09 plate and the plan is to strip it down, get it shot blasted, powder coated, new bushes (not decided if to polybush yet) ... hopefully in time for when i get the brakes done. It's probably the only thing under the car that has rusted and although mine is 'ok', this is part of the restoration work rather than modification work. I picked the beam up for £80 and I've been quoted approx £50 for the shot blasting and powder coating and then I will need the bushes ... better than the £900+ Honda want for a new one!!! Will detail the progress of refurbing the beam for anyone else looking to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.